How Far Can I Go?

This section is a culmination of what the site's users feel are common questions, or topics that seem to repeat a lot. Users are encouraged tp post to this section, but PLEASE DO NOT PUT GENERAL BANTER IN HERE, just factual/informational stuff. Please try and keep this section structured and neat!

Moderator: Moderators

bomhour
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

How Far Can I Go?

Post by bomhour »

I am planning a trip about 1350 miles across middle America each way. I would like to spend 5 to 6 days at my destination and I have 10 days to do the trip. I would like to do about 675 miles a day-2 days in a row with 5 or 6 days in between the return trip. Is that to ambitious? I am 31 years old and in good physical shape. I am a new Rockster owner and new to motorcycles. I have about 2500 miles under my belt.

I might be riding 2 up but that is not a sure thing yet. I havent told the wife the plan yet. Does riding 2 up make you more fatigued on long trips?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Boomhour
Bomhour - content with the low places that people distain.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: How Far Can I Go?

Post by sjbmw »

The most I did 2 up was 630 miles with my son, and it's a long day.
I have found that 2 up brings the average speed down.

Also, many pillion riders butts are not in tune with motorcycle seats, like primary riders are.
675 will be pushing it, especially if the wife gets a sore butt.

We did do 680 miles in one day home from the Wisconsin rally, but my son jumped on my friend's LT for that ride.

I would give yourself some wiggle room on the 675 with a passenger. Alone, not so much.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
bomhour
Basic User

Post by bomhour »

thanks, looks like the wife will have to fly on ahead ;/
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Sounds like you've not done a lot of high mileage days, but at your age (1/2 mine!) and in good shape you should be okay. "Should" is the catch word though. Weather conditions played havoc with my ride back to Seattle area from Louisville in the first part of May. I'd planned a fairly direct route of 425-450 a day with 4 days riding to do about 1800.... It actually took 7 days of riding, including a couple of 600 mile days to go 2900 to avoid the massive storms that hit the Rockies. Sure, I enjoyed seeing Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Nevada, but it was a LONG ride. :shock:

Hope you have better luck with the weather. If you can do a couple of high mileage "training" trips in advance, say like a 400 mile loop from home base in a day, it might help you figure out the process. Frequent breaks are good, but they can't be too lengthy. Stay hydrated, particularly important in summer on high mileage days. A little dehydration goes a long way in creating fatigue and brain fade.....don't ask me how I know. :(

I've done 850+ a number of times solo, but wouldn't even consider more than 400 max two up...just another 2 cents on that...

And your R Rock is a good bike for this kind of haul! Enjoy! :D

Ciao! BJ
bomhour
Basic User

Post by bomhour »

BJ

Thanks for the info. spoke to the wife last night and she doesn't want to go so-one up and 635 miles/per day it is.

I had some 150 mile rides turn into all day events due to weather this past month so I can sympathise with bending to mother natures will. I planned the trip for end of August in the dryest part of the year to hopefully avoid wet weather.

thanks for the great advice, I appreciate it.