Throttle body cables and adjusters - A reminder

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Throttle body cables and adjusters - A reminder

Post by boxermania »

My friend, Buddy, some of you met him at the first Arkansas Bash, October 07, has been workng on his 1994 R110RS over the last few months. He had called me on a few ocassions, since after removing the tank for regular maintenance the bike has not run right.

Over the few imes that we talked we discussed all the basic issues dealing with IC engines, compression, spark and fuel to see if I could help him, unfortunately because of his comittments and my work, things moved very slowly.

Thursday he called me and asked me to stop by and give him a hand and Friday being my day off I agreed. At his place we spent a few minutes going over how it bean and what he had done, mind you several times, compression, spark plugs, spark at the plug, injector flow and the like.

We were working in unison, he on the right side of the bike and I on the left, when glancing past the TB, I noticed that one of the TB cables (the one for the right TB) was out of the adjuster and caught atop of the adjuster (I must clarify the R1100 motors have a diferent TB cable arrangement than the R1150 as both the "choke" and the accelerator cable come to the left TB and then another cable jumps over to the right TB).

I grew excited and advied him to put everything back, that I had found the trouble. He came over but I elected not to tell him and asked him to fire the engine up, as that I was sure that the bike would start and would purr like a kitten and it was going to cost him a Coke.

He insisted in knowing about the problem but I held my ground as I wanted to see the look on his face. Well, everything went as planned and then I showed him what had happened......he was beside himself as he had labored on the problem for a good while.

So, that being said, after removing the tank, or working around the TB's always look at the adjusters an insure the accelerator cable is inside.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
bikermeow
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Throttle body cables and adjusters - A reminder

Post by bikermeow »

I am hoping for a pic, but will go look at mine anyway :)

Thanks for the reminder! :)
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

bikermeow

My bike is gone, but I'll talk to Buddy to see if he can send me a pic for me to post......
Member #312
79 CBX
Phang
Lifer
Donating Member #: 707

Post by Phang »

Thanks for the reminder boxermania, this one of the items on my post work check list whenever I work around that area 8)

boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

Phang

Thanks for posting the pic.....makes it easy to understand.
Member #312
79 CBX
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

This happened to me when I bought my bike used, and the PO had had the battery replaced at a non-BMW bike shop, and hadn't tested it apparently!
Took me about 15 mins. to discover and correct because I had no prior knowledge of these machines, but it didn't look right!

Same thing happened to Boorman in Russia while going "The Long Way Around". A call to a BMW mechanic in Munich provided the solution - reseat the right throttle cable, and around they went.
Rich
ADIOS!
Ritchard
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Ritchard »

I had almost torn my own head off over this issue this spring. Thanks to this forum, I still have a head.

Thanks again, guys.
My favourite website:
Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn How!