Handlebar Swap Questions

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Handlebar Swap Questions

Postby Xdot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Just picked up a Wunderlich Touring Wellness handlebar from one of our list members and am ready to put it on. Is there a handlebar FAQ out there anywhere? Got questions about dealing with the heated grips, getting the stuff off the old bar, cable and hose routing, etc. Why reinvent the wheel? Any tips or pointers would be wonderful. Thanks!

John
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

omg1010
Basic User

Re: Handlebar Swap Questions

Postby omg1010 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:16 am

John,

when I changed my handlebar the only problem was the cables/connectors for the heated grips as these are routed inside the bar. You need to remove the tank as the connectors are below ... Locate the connectors and here you have 2 choices: a) cut the wires (make sure to leave enough cable to recrimp) or b) pry the little connectors out of the plugs (note the position/polarity!) using micro screwdrivers.

Loosen the handles and the bar. Remove handles off the bar and pull the cables of the heated grips out.

Reverse process to install new bar ...

Brgds
Oliver

Xdot

Postby Xdot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:06 pm

Oliver,

What's the configuration of the heating cable? Is there a separate one in each side? Does it run the length of the bar? What holes it is easiest to work with? There are the openings at the end of the bar, a 'large' hole on the bottom about six inches in from either side, and a 'large' one on the bottom in the middle. Just hoping to get some idea before I tear in.

Since I'm removing the tank I guess it'd also be a good time to change the brake fluids and replace the air filter. Anything else I should do while I'm "in". Maybe lube the clutch splines? Do I need to pull the tank to swap out the plastic quick-disconnects and replace with the brass ones? The more I can get done in a single stroke, the better I'd feel.

John
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

omg1010
Basic User

Postby omg1010 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:05 am

Hi John,

there are 2 cables (one on the right and one on the left) each consisting of 2 wires. As per my knowledge they run inside your handlebar right down to your fork bridge. Just have a look where 2 wires are coming out of your handlebar and follow these to the connectors under the tank. These are the only cables running inside your handlebar.

To replace the airfilter you don't need to remove the tank. Changing brake fluid on the 1150 models is not an easy task. If you are not acquainted with this I suggest you don't touch. To change the fuel line quick connectors you need to pull the tank. Replace the plastic ones with the brass version available for example at beemerboneyard.com.

Clutch splines you won't reach when pulling the tank. Forget about that.

Brgds
Oliver

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Postby sweatmark » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:19 am

John - that's good advice from Oliver.

FWIW, grips change and handlebar swap is on my calendar for this next Saturday. Among other things during big "bike fix" day. Will take pictures along the way, and much of Rockster work will be applicable to Roadster.
Now: Rockster2, S1000R, K1300S
Then: R850R, R1100R, R1150R, Rockster1, R1200C, F800S, etc.

Xdot

Postby Xdot » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 am

Actually I'm a highly qualified mechanic with over 30 years experience and have a well-equipped shop. The R1150R is new to me from the standpoint of maintenance procedures but I have no doubt I can perform them correctly given reasonable guidance. I'm guessing that pulling the tank is a pain so I want to do as much routine maintenance as possible when it's off. Quick disconnects need upgrading. And I know the brake fluids need to be changed. Also need to adjust the valves and sync the throttle bodies. Haven't done any of that on a BMW bike so I'm in for a nice steep learning curve.

Yeah, I've seen the pics of the spline check... One of those jobs where you better label stuff!
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Postby sweatmark » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:52 am

Then this will be walk in the park, and you will probably appreciate the forethought taken by BMW to configure the under-tank components. Easy bikes to work on.
Last edited by sweatmark on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grwrockster
Lifer

Postby grwrockster » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:55 am

I changed the bars on my Rockster for GS Bars last winter (and yes - it does look a bit odd at first, but I really like the alteration to the riding position with an MRA Vario Screen on).

BTW - I found that you don't have to remove the tank to disconnect the heated grip connections - simply taking out the RH side Tank retaining bolt and moving the tank back a few inches lets you get at everything just fine. The side panels get in the way when pulling the tank back (after removing the retaining bolts from the back of the tank that is), but rather than faff about taking the whole sidepanel off each side, I simply stuff rags as wedges between each sidepanel and the frame rail to splay them out a bit to provide wiggle room to work the tank back off the rubber mounts.

I also changed the fuel quick connectors recently - again, once the plastic cover is off to get at them between the RH cylinder and the bottom of the tank, you can do these without removing the tank. If you lift the rear of the tank then put the retaining bolt back in underneath the bracket you'd usually bolt it to, then it props the tank up a bit and gives you enough room to work.

I'm not a mechanic (but I'm an ok amateur) and found these jobs to be pretty easy.

I also changed out the clutch plate on my mates 1150R (slave cylinder leak contaminated the drive plate), and was happy to find it's not as daunting as I thought it'd be. The bikes seem to be pretty straightforward to work on (mind you - I've not any electrical gremlins or fuel injection scares thrown at me yet!). If you're a trained spanner-man I would think you'll breeze through.

Xdot

Postby Xdot » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm

sweatmark wrote:Then this will be walk in the park, and you will probably appreciate the forethought taken by BMW to configure the under-tank components. Easy bikes to work on.

I know you are lying. :mrgreen:
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

Airman
Basic User

Postby Airman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Here's the link to a bar installation which will show the grip wiring, among other interesting things. On my Wunderlich bar install I had to re-route the switch wiring around the windshield mounts to give enough slack for the longer bars. Not a difficult job, but a little time consuming because of the tank removal. Don't cut the grip wiring. It offends my sense of propriety.

http://kbasa.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Fix-them/Installing-Ricky-Bars/29459_bhc2N#1022456_vgFTJ
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.

Xdot

Postby Xdot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Great photo essay Airman! Thanks a ton. I'll be referring to this as soon as I get a rainy day.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

seanx820
Basic User

Postby seanx820 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

OK, I am an ultra newb, why would someone replace their handle bar? I had another question but I think that the answer to this question will answer that is, the question being-> Does anyone else get vibrations that might get annoying after an hour? Someone told me it could be the handlebar, and someone else said I could have the balance a bit off... my last bike (a yamaha fz6) vibrated a ton, i hated doing long trips with it... but i thought it was just because it was a cheaper bike... maybe i have been riding broken bikes? or maybe i am just a pussy? any insight?

Xdot

Postby Xdot » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm replacing the handlebar so I won't have to lean forward quite so far. After a while it makes my hands and wrists hurt. Especially if I'm riding with my large windscreen in place. This handlebar sweeps back almost an extra 2 inches. That's a long way for a motorcycle handlebar. Generally vibration isn't due to the handlebars. Good question, though!
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Postby sweatmark » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:59 pm

OK, I am an ultra newb, why would someone replace their handle bar? I had another question but I think that the answer to this question will answer that is, the question being-> Does anyone else get vibrations that might get annoying after an hour?

In my case, the handlebar swap is replacement of bent bar with new OE part. Like xdot says, handlebar position is a big part of riding ergonomics, and lots of folks here tweek things by installing bar clamp risers or "bar-backs" or combinations of both.

In answer to your 2nd question, the R1150** vibrations (as sensed at handgrips) can range from mellow & soothing feedback from the boxer engine, or annoying & numbing indications that something (valves, throttle bodies, spark plugs or stick coils) is out of whack.

Note that the bike's OE bar-end weights make a big difference in grip vibration.

OK xdot, tomorrow's my handlebar & heated grips day. How about you?

Airman
Basic User

Postby Airman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:23 pm

seanx820 wrote:OK, I am an ultra newb, why would someone replace their handle bar? I had another question but I think that the answer to this question will answer that is, the question being-> Does anyone else get vibrations that might get annoying after an hour? Someone told me it could be the handlebar, and someone else said I could have the balance a bit off... my last bike (a yamaha fz6) vibrated a ton, i hated doing long trips with it... but i thought it was just because it was a cheaper bike... maybe i have been riding broken bikes? or maybe i am just a pussy? any insight?

In my case I changed the bars looking for a better riding position. The Wunderlichs are better for me. As for vibration, I don't have noticable vibration below 4000 rpm, and then I only notice it in the foot pegs. I figure when I feel vibration at 4000 in sixth, the bike is telling me to slow down and avoid the ticket. When running through the gears the time is short and I don't notice it. I know they make heavier bar ends and such, maybe that would help. I would think that if you're running 75 or so on the road it should be pretty smooth.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.

Xdot

Postby Xdot » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:01 pm

sweatmark wrote:OK xdot, tomorrow's my handlebar & heated grips day. How about you?

:D Gosh, I wish. Covered up with more 'essential' things, none of which involve motorcycles in any way shape or form. :(

But soon. I figure I'll do the tank pull method and replace my quick disconnects and flush my brakes while I'm at it. Something about birds and stones...

Good luck! I'd love to hear what you have to do to the cables, tubes, and wires to get them to reach.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Postby sweatmark » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:04 am

Handlebar and heated grips done today.

Removed fuel tank for the 100th time (favorite hobby) - simplifies controls/switchgear manipulation when additional slack is gained by snipping a bunch of wire ties. Part of my project involved removal of the Rockster front end (instruments, lights module, carrier pieces) which really made the handlebar swap simple due to extra maneuvering room. Roadster front end is a bit more complicated to remove, so don't bother... just loosen handlebar and turn the bar side-to-side to gain slack for clutch and brake master cylinder removal. Keep track of all the screws (various locations, sizes and shapes) that attach switch modules & covers to master cylinders.

Took a while to figure out the throttle cable/tube disassembly... but I was being very careful after breaking something important earlier in the day; once it was apart, the reassembly was self-evident.

Got a bunch of photos. Will post them in separate thread to capture the Rockster rebuild.

<edit> One panic moment caused by (temporariliy) lost fastener: each of the master cylinders is clamped to handlebar via a bevel head socket screw and a captured steel nut. You can see the recess for the nut on inside (towards bike centerline) of the forward clamp half of the master cylinder castings. Do not lose those nuts! You might tape over the recess to prevent the nut from falling out, or extract the nut for safekeeping until parts are resintalled.

Xdot

Postby Xdot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Xdot wrote:
sweatmark wrote:OK xdot, tomorrow's my handlebar & heated grips day. How about you?

:D Gosh, I wish. Covered up with more 'essential' things, none of which involve motorcycles in any way shape or form. :(

Screw that other stuff. Just pulled the tank. Using Airman's faq as a go by. Beats proposal work!
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

Xdot

Postby Xdot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Done. Except for the Throttlemeister...
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster

Return to “R 1 1 5 0 R”