1150R seat

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

wust588
Basic User

1150R seat

Post by wust588 »

I'm thinking of buying one of these and my question is:- is the seat adjustable for height?

On some photographs I see of the 1150R, the rider's seat looks like it slopes down in some cases,
and others it looks level.

Many thanks.
John Williams- Staffs UK.

'81- Norton P41 Prototype Rotary
'93- Norton P52/55 Hybrid Rotary
Torsen
Basic User

Re: 1150R seat

Post by Torsen »

You have 3 different seats original. Low, standard and high. You have to choose one of them when you buy the bike new.
wust588
Basic User

Post by wust588 »

Torsen, thanks for that.
John Williams- Staffs UK.

'81- Norton P41 Prototype Rotary
'93- Norton P52/55 Hybrid Rotary
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

If you check around (Beemer Boneyard, CL, IBMWR.org ... etc) you can find the seats advertised. Personally, I think it's silly to not have adjustable seat heights on a bike, my R1150R came with a standard and low seat, I then bought a high seat. I'm not real happy with the ride quality of the stock seats, so I'm on the verge of buying a Sargent rider's seat.
motorcycle_monkey
Basic User

Post by motorcycle_monkey »

dandeldesierto wrote:If you check around (Beemer Boneyard, CL, IBMWR.org ... etc) you can find the seats advertised. Personally, I think it's silly to not have adjustable seat heights on a bike, my R1150R came with a standard and low seat, I then bought a high seat. I'm not real happy with the ride quality of the stock seats, so I'm on the verge of buying a Sargent rider's seat.
I have a Russell Day Long seat on mine, and it seems to hit my hip bones weird. I have been considering trying a stock seat, possibly.
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

So since the seat bracket is not adjustable (like my friends RT) could we buy a higher (used) bracket to keep our nads from being squished? I have been dealing with this since I bought the bike and trying to find alternatives to spending more $000? for an aftermarket seat. I will if I half to but...

Thx.
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

skylarmav1 wrote:So since the seat bracket is not adjustable (like my friends RT) could we buy a higher (used) bracket to keep our nads from being squished? I have been dealing with this since I bought the bike and trying to find alternatives to spending more $000? for an aftermarket seat. I will if I half to but...

Thx.
No idea where it is but there's a thread on this forum somewhere where the owner raised the standard block.....put some washers underneath and longer bolts I think......should be easy to try out.
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Actually Tricky that was me. It did work OK but it left an uncool looking gap between the top/front of the seat and the gas tank since as it went up it also went back. Maybe I'll just go back to that for a bit and reside myself that is time to spend some $$$ on a new seat.
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

Ahhh, right! Always wondered why there's such a gap on the R's, the Corbin seat I had fitted right upto the tank and had a suede strip to protect the paint.
Seats on my Rockster are real soft so you end up compressing the foam and sitting on the plastic base. One day I'll have them re done with harder foam.
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

I have had the Sargent sport saddle on mine for 14 years, and it is as good as new. It's all day comfortable, and unlike the custom saddles, it's also waterproof. It clicks into place just like stock. The return on investment has been very high.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

lcarlson wrote:I have had the Sargent sport saddle on mine for 14 years, and it is as good as new. It's all day comfortable, and unlike the custom saddles, it's also waterproof. It clicks into place just like stock. The return on investment has been very high.
Any feedback from the pillion seat? Been thinking of one of these but have heard conflicting reports....something about the shape of the riders 'backrest' rather than the padding I think.
Realise one mans comfey is anthers agony but it's a lot of outlay if Mrs.tree doesn't like it.
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

The new Sargent for my 2004 R1150R arrives FedEx tomorrow! I didn't have any custom foam done by them; the new seat is supposed to raise seat height by about 1/2", which doesn't sound like much, but will make a difference. Also, I've heard of people using the AirHawk strap-on inflatable (which evidently gives about 1/2" also) cushion, and the strap-on "bead cushion" supposedly will effectively give about 1/2 to 3/4". I'm hoping that the Sargent by itself will suffice for me. To have a "custom" higher seat from them costs an additional hundred dollars or so.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

lcarlson wrote:I have had the Sargent sport saddle on mine for 14 years, and it is as good as new. It's all day comfortable, and unlike the custom saddles, it's also waterproof. It clicks into place just like stock. The return on investment has been very high.

+1

I got a used Sargent front and back seat from the buy sell section of this board 12 years ago, at 40% the cost of a new one. Still working as well as the first day I used it. Stock seats become painfully apparent after 150 miles. Sargent are worth 600+ miles in a day. You do lose some foot grip if you are inseam challenged like me.
It's a wider seat.

Since I became a paying member of this board, and I have saved enough money on goods in the buy sell section alone over the years to pay for 5 lifetime memberships. (2 GPS, Twin max, Tbag for pirates lair backrest, MRA Vario screen, just to name a few items, all used, all severely discounted, all are still in great condition today.)

If you plan on keeping your R long term, membership on this board will pay for itself many times over if looking for parts and farkles.

I have a Pirates lair backrest collecting dust right now, and I do not doubt that it has a future member's name on it, just don't know when.

How is that for a shameless plug??
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

I have received (and ridden a few hundred miles on) my new Sargent seat; so far I really, really, like it. The '04 R1150R feels like a different bike. I saw some good advice on other posts about finding them used; that's a great way to save money, and Sargent will "remodel" a seat (if necessary) at a reasonable price. However, the front Sargent seat will not mate with a stock rear seat (according to Sargent). I had already gone to what I call a "Rockster panel", which replaces the pillion seat; it does work (snugly) with the Sargent. I have this bike set up for touring with SW-Motech racks and Trax side and top cases; I use the Rockster panel as location for roll or dry bags and sleeping bag, etc. I also installed the tall Parabellum windshield (model specific for the R1150R), and some large handguards I found on sale at Cycle Gear. I'm planning some longish rides this summer (from TX to Utah, Nevada, and California) and am looking forward to seeing how this setup really works on the road. BTW, my SW-Motech sideracks were bought originally for a 1996 R1100GS I had; they bolted up exactly except I had to fabricate one bracket (the cross-over "bridge" bracket that bolts to the real fender and holds the rear of both right and left side brackets). The SW-Motech sideracks for the R1150R are discontinued; I did find and buy a SW-Motech topcase rack for this bike. There is a "compatibility issue" with the topcase rack also, the SW-Motech will not match with the stock BMW pannier racks.
edbikerii
Basic User

Post by edbikerii »

I have 34" inseam, and I'm 6'1" tall. I found the stock seat on my 2004 R1150R to be too low such that it caused me pain and cramps in my hips after just a short ride (maybe even as little as 30 mins). I bought the OEM high seat (same as for the Rockster) and I love it! I have not tried any aftermarket seats on this bike, as I'm quite happy with the OEM high seat. It matches and mates up perfectly with the OEM rear seat, no adjustments of any sort necessary. My passenger, however, complained that the stock rear seat is too slippery. I solved that by buying an inexpensive (maybe $20) cover made of non-slip rubber.