Can anything make the R1150r louder?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Torsen
Basic User

Re: Can anything make the R1150r louder?

Post by Torsen »

Sounds strange. My year '01 runs like hell with af-xied but no end can at the exhaust. Even runs better at idling.
It is strong as a hors and from 4000 rpm and up, its really fly:-)
It has so far run 114.000 km.
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Running without the muffler and a chrome tip instead is as loud as I want. It also allows me to use a full size saddle bag on the left side. Very handy.

If loud is your main objective, you probably bought the wrong bike. Back in the day, BMW riders were glad to be quieter than most.

I sound like an old fart. Oh wait . . . I am.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

wncbmw wrote:

If loud is your main objective, you probably bought the wrong bike. Back in the day, BMW riders were glad to be quieter than most.

I sound like an old fart. Oh wait . . . I am.
ditto

:lol:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I bit the bullet and spent the $400 on the cat delete pipe and I didn't put the muffler back.
The bike sounds great.
Loud enough to be heard and enjoyed but not irritatingly loud.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

GPR makes a "Y" pipe and various Mufflers. I have this set up on the R with the DB Insert for mellow sound and dropped ALLOT of weight.
Now I just need to machine a bumper stop for the center stand.....

https://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts.co. ... ts/r1150-r

1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

MThomas wrote:I bit the bullet and spent the $400 on the cat delete pipe and I didn't put the muffler back.
The bike sounds great.
Loud enough to be heard and enjoyed but not irritatingly loud.
I am sad you want your bike to sound like the rest of the herd. :( :lol:

Did you put a fuel controller on that? removing the cat AND having no muffler= NO backpressure. not the bestest for efficient combustion
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

First off that is one gorgeous bike that tundra posted. Earlier today I saw an S1000rr in the parking garage that looked sweet as well.

I asked the mechanic at the shop I bought the bike from and he said that without the y pipe there's not enough back pressure but with the y pipe there should be enough.

I've ridden it a couple times since, including highway speed, and if anything it seems a hair faster than before
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

MThomas wrote:First off that is one gorgeous bike that tundra posted. Earlier today I saw an S1000rr in the parking garage that looked sweet as well.

I asked the mechanic at the shop I bought the bike from and he said that without the y pipe there's not enough back pressure but with the y pipe there should be enough.

I've ridden it a couple times since, including highway speed, and if anything it seems a hair faster than before
Ok....

So, you have just an open y-pipe and NO muffler? So, basically, you have a straight pipe.... the y does very little here. i'm concerned, but I could be wrong. :-k
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Just to clarify....I did buy the 1150 with the Y pipe and Muffler already installed though I did buy it from a friend and we traded Motorcycles several times before and after mods.
I added the DB insert to mellow out the sound and can't hear it on the Highway unlike pre-insert. When run hard it has a nice twin growl. Also running a BMC (K&N type) filter, stock air box and a Dobeck EJK http://www.electronicjetkit.com/BMW/vie ... er=9110015 Easy to Install.
It pulls hard enough to make the front end feel light now at WFO with stock EJK settings. I should have weighed the stock exhaust and cat before I stored it. It was amazingly heavy.

Loaded with Luggage sporting the stock seat. Found the stock lowered seat for the better half, previous picture.

1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao