Harley advantages over BMW, any?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

Harley advantages over BMW, any?

Post by MThomas »

Initially, when shopping for a bike, I rode a couple HDs because I like the way they look but they were tough to handle and the BMW felt great.

My reasons for choosing BMW over Harley were:
a) Math - The horsepower/weight ratio is so disparate and then given the price difference to boot, I couldn't justify a HD.
b) Handling - Part of this could be position where I feel more in control leaning forward that the BMW facilitates over the sitting back position of the HD.
c) Mechanics advice - I have two friends that are motorcycle mechanics who both said that HDs aren't as well-made and are costly to maintain/repair.

Given my albeit limited experience, the only reason I can think of for an HD would be profiling.

Do you own an HD and if so, what, if any strong points does it have over the BMW?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
windy
Basic User

Re: Harley advantages over BMW, any?

Post by windy »

Yes , I do own a Harley Davidson FLHTP ( Police motorcycle) . I also own a 2004 R1150R . The Harley is more comfortable and handles well , not as well as the BMW , but for long distance it's more enjoyable for me .
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Harley uses hydraulic valve system that self adjusts......
BMW boxer is simple to adjust the valves.
You went over all the reasons you bought the BMW and I'd say you made the right decision.
If you are going to add to what you have, then get you a Harley.
If your a one bike guy like I am....BMW all day long.
Buckster '03R
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

apples to oranges. I like apples. But an Orange would work when I'm completely out of apples. do you need that decoded?

A: BMW faster. unless maybe straight line... engine depending.
B: Handling. no contest. AT ALL
C: if you depend on a shop for maintenance on either marque, you'll feel like the victim of a $ex crime. BMW easy to work on. Harley. Never been impressed, but experience limited.

reliability. <shrugs shoulders>

Harleys have their place in the market. I just don't like going to any of those places. LOL good for long day rides.... -Not including the sportster, which is junk for what you pay- most harleys are rolling couches. They are comfy. But boooooy are they heavy. once you get rolling and stay rolling you wont be let down by that choice. I rode a road king(i think) once. Huge seat... even had the lil gel pad foot rests. sucked at intersections, felt so tippy. but im not gonna lie here-comfy Like a 70's Cadillac underway, but like a cement truck in the parking lot. :)

If you want one and like it, get one. I smile and wave at every rider that comes towards me.

but as far as "advantages"? all of them will be subjective.

I like Buckster's quote: "If your'e a one bike guy like I am....BMW all day long"
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
eburr
Basic User

Post by eburr »

I buy, sell, ride and trade approx. 25 bikes a year. I've never been too brand specific but can honestly say more weird s&%t has gone wrong with my Harleys than most other brands. Most expensive to fix too and not the most enjoyable to ride compared to some others, being more primitive than I like. I'm not a joiner, so being "in the club" doesn't matter so much to me either. The Harleys, even the later ones, seemed to vibrate themselves apart, and fatigued metal components that led to various strange failures. Very pretty though! Easily the best looking bikes I have ever owned.

I'm over chrome, and for long distance cruising, price and simplicity I am into BMW RT's now. In general, oilheads are cheap and easy to service once you throw away the failure prone junk, ex: servo brakes. I now ride an older R1100RTL as a touring bike and an R1150r Rockster as an around town and back roads blaster and must say I am fully satisfied.

I loved my (4) Yamaha Stratoliner's and Roadliners for quality, power, comfort, handling and build quality as a long distance cruiser, and much better than my (6) HD Road Kings , both evo and twin cam models. I also dug my (4) Royal Stars for their great looks and hard cases, but they are top heavy and a bit piggish.

I have owned many bikes of all makes and models, but can honestly say I like the feel, suspension and handling of the BMW's the best so far, including my favorite during my youth, an R100/7 airhead. I use bar backs on both of my bikes and the RT is a little tall, but damn, it's also like the swiss army knife of bikes. It has so much and you can do so much with it. My order for reliability and build quality is Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi and then Harley. My order for fun to ride and simplicity to service is a bit more slanted towards BMW oilheads, as they ride reasonably great and are cheap and easy and cheap to own once you get into them.
Last edited by eburr on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I have a friend with a HD, who has laid it down twice, just by grabbing a fistful of brake, or slipping on a wet painted yellow line.
IMHO, BMW suspensions and brakes are the best in the 2 wheel world.
But, HD is a cruiser, and the R is not. Apples to oranges as stated above.

A kid at a gas station asked me "Why didn't you buy a Harley?"

A: "I wanted a bike designed and built to compensate for my lack of riding skill."
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Years ago...long story but I had a guy say that my R100CS was a nice 'little' BMW....he then asked when I was going to "move up" to a Harley. My answer was and it's true....my first motorcycle was a Harley....and I've been moving up ever since. He didn't respond.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

sjbmw wrote:
A kid at a gas station asked me "Why didn't you buy a Harley?"

"I wanted a bike designed and built to compensate for my lack of riding skill."
=D> I get this from non riders, and it makes me twitch.
ron prior wrote:Years ago...long story but I had a guy say that my R100CS was a nice 'little' BMW....he then asked when I was going to "move up" to a Harley. My answer was and it's true....my first motorcycle was a Harley....and I've been moving up ever since. He didn't respond.
=D> =D>

many many years ago, with my Yamaha FZ1. probably the best SPORT standard bike Iv'e ridden. I rode it to work every single day. A coworker with heavy leather, boots and all (no helmet) who rode a sportster only on nice days.... Sees me at the door: "got my harley to 70 by the time I hit the railroad tracks" -they are slightly over 1/4 mile from our building- me: "really? me too, then I shifted into 3rd and stopped looking at the speedo around 100, and still slowed down to cross said tracks. 8) yes. stupid of me but. I was still in my 20's(barely). and come on. what a silly thing for a sportster rider to brag about to a guy on Japanese literbike. :lol:
monstrous
Basic User

Post by monstrous »

I have had several BMW's and HD's. I ride around 30,000miles a year in all kinds of weather, my everyday bike is an Electra glide Limited, it is super easy to work on, extremely reliable, parts are very cheap, it is easy to upgrade in any way, and a joy to ride. I sold my R1150r, but enjoyed it very much, although it was without a doubt the most expensive bike to own I have ever had, currently I have a R1200gs, it has been cheaper so far than the old oil head. Which is better? There are lots of different Harleys and lots of different BMW's, tough to say. If I could only have one motorcycle it would not be any of the bikes I mentioned, it would likely be a Super Tenere ES, or a 2004 R1150gs, but if more than one is an option, FLHTK's from 2011 to 2013 are tough to beat.
R1200GS
2011 FLHTK
06 FLSTC
98 DR350SE
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

monstrous wrote:my R1150r, but enjoyed it very much, although it was without a doubt the most expensive bike to own I have ever had
One of the reasons I bought the R1150r is that it was billed as a simple design as less moving parts = less that can go wrong ... now I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

MThomas wrote:
monstrous wrote:my R1150r, but enjoyed it very much, although it was without a doubt the most expensive bike to own I have ever had
One of the reasons I bought the R1150r is that it was billed as a simple design as less moving parts = less that can go wrong ... now I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into

LOL

meh. its not that bad. any aging bike will require a keen eye, and solid maintenance. Hardley.... BMW or otherwise. If that is to be your end-all, go buy a cheap japanese bike and ride it til it explodes.

I reckon Ive only spent about 250$ in the last 3 years on mine. Working myself of course.
AllanCook
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by AllanCook »

Girls. No one has ever gotten laid on a BMW. I couldn't keep girls off my Harley. I'm invisible to them on my Beemer.
Allan
Austin
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Intimidation of the local populace. BMWs are nice and anonymous but if you like to cause a stir, ride in a group of Harleys.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Surely the sole purpose of riding a Harley is to show other people the image of a macho dude with tasseled jacket, unkempt beard, very long trailing failing hair and a smug "Whatcha-lookin'-at-bud" stare. Oh and you have to be over 60 and mostly deaf because of the unconscionable racket they make from the exhaust as the various bits fall off in the road behind you.
I think there are 2 kinds of bikers:-
Those who ride motorcycles and those who ride Harleys.
Just my unbiassed two-pennorth....
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

AllanCook wrote:Girls. No one has ever gotten laid on a BMW. I couldn't keep girls off my Harley. I'm invisible to them on my Beemer.

I can tell ya that ain't true!! And I'm an old fart........ :lol:
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
windy
Basic User

Post by windy »

I'm an old fart as well , and it is not true . I currently own and ride a BMW R1150R ,and a Harley Davidson FLHTP . I like them both and they are different and similar at the same time . I don't ride to impress any one , I ride because I love to . I ride daily(not in rain or snow) and a typical day ride is 200 miles or so . I've been riding since 1959 and have been an AMA member for over Fifty years , I'm also a member of BMWRA , BMWMOA as well as local groups . The AMA's old motto was " Put your best wheel foward ". something to think about .
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

There were many bikes out in Derbyshire yesterday. In Matlock Bath, the Harley owners were definitely the look at me types. The thunderous tractor noises emphasised their needs.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

towerworker wrote:
AllanCook wrote:Girls. No one has ever gotten laid on a BMW. I couldn't keep girls off my Harley. I'm invisible to them on my Beemer.

I can tell ya that ain't true!! And I'm an old fart........ :lol:

The Quantity may be high.... BUT.. their quality is low.

:lol:
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Sort of a funny thread here. I have Harley's, BMW's and Suzuki's. Pro's and Con's to all. I just bought a new BMW S 1000 XR and plan to sell a few of the old bikes now. The first to go will be the V-Stroms we have 2 650's and a new model 1000. The new model 1000 has been the worst bike we have ever bought. Considering selling the Road King also but it has been a very good bike. Going to keep the other Harley as it is a collector type. Also keeping the two R 1150 R's as they aren't worth selling anymore. GSXR track bike and the dirt bike are still being used a lot.
Whatever you guys do don't ever ride a S 1000 XR, you'll end up buying one. As close to perfect as a bike can get.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

A 62-yr-old pal of mine 20 years ago came from a Blackbird - whoosh ! - to the big boxer bikes. His latest is the twenty-thousand-pound R1200RT with every possible farkle added.
And now he tells me he finds it a touch cumbersome to manhandle around whilst not sitting on it. He says he's chipping it in - only 26 months old kept in a heated garage and has done the princely total of 925 UK miles - for a new...
wait for it..
HD Fat Boy.
I think that's the end of a long-term biking friendship.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike