Tailgate support while loading a bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

Tailgate support while loading a bike

Post by MThomas »

I got a 72" bed pickup (RAM 1500) but the r1150r length is 84.5" Hence I have to haul the bike diagonally in the pickup.
In order to get it up there initially I'll need to have the tailgate down which means the ramp will hook onto the edge of the tailgate so the only thing supporting the bike and me are the tailgate cables.
I've heard those can break under a heavy load so I'd planned on supporting the tailgate with wood or something equivalent from the bottom.
What I'm looking for is something more efficient than a stack of wood (I guess a tall rampstand of some sort) that I can easily toss in the bed after the bike's loaded.
What are you using?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Re: Tailgate support while loading a bike

Post by peels »

Ive never heard of that, unless there was some corrosion, nor had it happen. the cables and bolts are strong...

I loaded 700+ lb atvs into My nissan frontier, and hauled them that way for years. Drove home once with 2000lbs of lumber and bricks once too, hanging off the tailgate.

Also have done so In my 3rd gen Dodge dakota. no problems.

ramp i had. HAuled a CBR1000 home once, loaded it by walking up one ramp, with the bike on the other.

http://www.discountramps.com/extra-wide ... wAodtg0Puw
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
windy
Basic User

Post by windy »

Your tailgate will probably bend before the cables break . Hauling the motorcycle diagonaly is dangerous at best a disaster at worst. Borrow ,rent or buy a trailer . I'm a retired professional driver that has hauled everything from motorcycles , furniture , heavy equipment , lumber , to cattle and horses . Do not haul your bike this way. Please !
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

windy wrote:Hauling the motorcycle diagonaly is dangerous at best a disaster at worst.
The guy at the motorcyle shop said it was fine as long as I securely use tie down straps ... however maybe I don't want to take a chance and instead look at a front wheel towing cradle.

The problem is that all the ones I've see attach to the vehicle via the square receptacle and I didn't see that on my truck I only saw the ball hitch - do you know of any front wheel towing cradles that attach via the ball hitch? Maybe I'll go look at my truck again to see if I missed the square receptacle.

In the meantime check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_K2k9VaklI
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
windy
Basic User

Post by windy »

Hertz rents motorcycle trailers . bring your truck to them and they will tell you if it will work . It sounds like the ball is mounted directly to the rear bumper . Was that a BMW dealer that told you that . How close are you to Bob's BMW ? Try them for advise .
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Coleman told me this.
Also renting a trailer isn't an option for me.
I have three cars at all with different purposes and all in different locations I need to frequently pick up cars drop them off so it's nice if I can bring the bike to ride back from a car or out to a car.
This is why all my cars will need to be able to attach a motorcycle wheel cradle.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I moved the bike. The tailgate held up when riding the bike up the ramp. The rear wheel was just inside the bed so the weight wasn't on the tailgate. I left the tailgate down, no issues
2004 R1150r Non-ABS