LED rear light problems.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Torsen
Basic User

LED rear light problems.

Post by Torsen »

Hi. Change my rear lamp to a caferacer LED lamp.
But got problems with light. Its normal under selfchech when I turn ignotion on. After 2 sec its to bright. Close to the brake light. Do I need some modifications?
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: LED rear light problems.

Post by towerworker »

Generally when you replace the stock "incandescent" bulb with an LED replacement you also install a resistor that fools the electrical system into thinking you have a stock bulb. And that's because the LED pulls a small fraction of the current that the stock bulb uses. So the electrical system thinks you have a blown bulb back there and it behaves differently trying to ensure there is some sort of brake light. BMW cares about your safety and wants to make sure people see you and don't rear end you! I would think the light you are installing would have some provision for that. (If it was specified for your particular bike)

Years ago I installed a "BRAKE!" led replacement. (sadly they are no longer in business). Incredible system. Inserts thru the stock light socket and fastens inside the red lens assembly. It has a programmable flashing feature and after flashing for the length of time that's programmed it then burns steady. Along with that system was a long ceramic wire wound resistor. That resistor upped the current draw to mimic the stock bulb. Then the BMW electrical system was happy and allowed the brake light to function as programmed.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Torsen
Basic User

Post by Torsen »

I fix it. Added a resistor to the rear negative light wire and grounded it.
Last edited by Torsen on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

towerworker wrote:Generally when you replace the stock "incandescent" bulb with an LED replacement you also install a resistor that fools the electrical system into thinking you have a stock bulb. And that's because the LED pulls a small fraction of the current that the stock bulb uses. So the electrical system thinks you have a blown bulb back there and it behaves differently trying to ensure there is some sort of brake light. BMW cares about your safety and wants to make sure people see you and don't rear end you! I would think the light you are installing would have some provision for that. (If it was specified for your particular bike)

Years ago I installed a "BRAKE!" led replacement. (sadly they are no longer in business). Incredible system. Inserts thru the stock light socket and fastens inside the red lens assembly. It has a programmable flashing feature and after flashing for the length of time that's programmed it then burns steady. Along with that system was a long ceramic wire wound resistor. That resistor upped the current draw to mimic the stock bulb. Then the BMW electrical system was happy and allowed the brake light to function as programmed.
I've got the BRAKE! module, and it is indeed a great product.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Torsen
Basic User

Post by Torsen »

Now the red triangle light lights up because of the rear led breaking light. Any solution?
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Torsen wrote:Now the red triangle light lights up because of the rear led breaking light. Any solution?

I'm guessing the system still thinks there is a bulb failure because of a difference in measured current. Is the brake light working properly?
If it is you might need to possibly use a resistor of slightly more "resistance". Can you contact the light manufacturer of what you installed? Possibly they have a solution. I feel pretty confident though that the added resistor is not the needed value.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint