Just bought a 2004 R1150R...need battery tender recommendations

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

vuduchyld
Basic User

Just bought a 2004 R1150R...need battery tender recommendations

Post by vuduchyld »

Howdy Folks!

As the title says, I just bought a 2004 R1150R last Friday. After riding home 60 miles, I think I might be in love.

I've had several motorcycles...have probably logged around 80,000-100,000 miles over the years (I'm 51 years old). My only other current bike is a 1981 Honda GL1100, which was a Naked Wing from the factory (and still is naked).

The BMW has a very small windscreen and the System Cases, which are outstanding. It also has ABS and heated grips. Of all the bikes I've owned, I've never had anything fuel injected before. With one exception (Harley clone not worth discussing), this is my first bike made after 1983, so while it's 15 years old, it sure feels like a step into the modern world. I think it must have the "tall" 6th gear I've read about, because on the road coming home, there was a BIG drop in RPMs when shifting from 5th to 6th. At the speed I was traveling, I preferred the throttle response of 5th gear, so I didn't spend much time in 6th. Will take some getting used to, I think. Other than that, the BMW feels like an extension of me. It's a beautiful machine. My first BMW.

I'm sure I'll have other questions, but for now, I'm hoping somebody can help me with battery tender recs. The gentleman I bought it from had a tender plugged into the accessory socket. I guess I sort of assumed the tender came with the bike, but it didn't and I'm not complaining. He does have another bike. But when I jumped on the internet to make my first accessory purchase, I couldn't find anything that looked like what he had. Hell, I think some of the ones I found when I searched for "BMW motorcycle battery tender" appear to be for cars. So...help me out, please!

Thank you!
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Re: Just bought a 2004 R1150R...need battery tender recommendations

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Anything from the Company Deltran is quality product. Typically labeled “Battery Tender”.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-0 ... way&sr=8-4
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

I use the Battery Tender Plus. This is an older model, not sure of it's current availability but probably. Make sure to get the BMW specific plug, it's different from a typical cigarette lighter size. Might be worth double checking the battery to see what's in there for compatibility also?

Congratulations, it's a great bike-

)sorry it's upside down but you'll get the idea- cell phone pic)

vuduchyld
Basic User

Post by vuduchyld »

Ah, yes...I probably need to know more about the battery, don't I?

Thank you both!
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

I have the factory original that came with my 2004 1150R. When I bought my bike last year, (with 5,100 miles on it), the original owner gave me the original BMW charger that he got with the bike in 04. He said it didn't work so I bought a new Optimate 5 Voltmatic at the recommendation of a local bike shop. Then I looked at the original and found that the previous owner had pulled the cord almost completly out of the BMW style plug-in. Just a quick wire reconnect and it now works perfectly, (and now I have two good chargers). If you want to buy one of them send me a private message.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

If you have a local dealer you could get a BMW charger there. That is where I got mine. It would be nice to support a local dealer and get to know the staff at the parts counter.
Congrats on the bike!
Buckster '03R
vuduchyld
Basic User

Post by vuduchyld »

Thanks, Buckster. That is actually a really good thought. I am an SBDC Director, so very local-business oriented. My nearest dealer is about an hour away, so not exactly super local, but that's still a worthwhile venture!
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

I have an Optimate 4. Very happy with that brand. Battery connected all year round ( well when the bike is in the garage).
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've been using a Battery Tender Jr for I guess 14 years. Just be sure whatever tender you buy matches up with the chemistry of your battery.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
vuduchyld
Basic User

Post by vuduchyld »

Thank you all. I finally looked at it and it's lead acid. So I think I'm good to go. Appreciate the recommendations!
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Lead-acid batteries have different forms and require different chargers to get the most life out of them.
"Regular" lead-acid batteries have a replenishable liquid (acid electrolyte) in them, and also include some of the maintenance-free types.
Other maintenance-free types have gel electrolyte in them that changes their charging chemistry which requires a different charger.
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) lead-acid batteries have the electrolyte absorbed in non-conductive fiberglass and include spiral-wound batteries. These require a different type of charger to ensure they receive a full charge at a higher voltage.
If you use a charger designed for the old liquid electrolyte batteries to charge an an AGM battery, it will never attain a full charge so it can never deliver the full performance it was designed for, and will likely not last as long as it should.
I hope this is helpful in your selection of the proper charger for your battery.
Rich
ADIOS!
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

And that very small screen might be the oe flyscreen that I recommend. Lower wind noise than larger screens imao.Mine came with the system cases as well.
Post a picture of your bike when you can.
Enjoy!
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

The tender is a good idea as it seems with the three R1150R we have the clock drains the system enough that sitting for a month leaves the Battery low.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
vuduchyld
Basic User

Post by vuduchyld »

Sunbeemer wrote:Lead-acid batteries have different forms and require different chargers to get the most life out of them.
"Regular" lead-acid batteries have a replenishable liquid (acid electrolyte) in them, and also include some of the maintenance-free types.
Other maintenance-free types have gel electrolyte in them that changes their charging chemistry which requires a different charger.
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) lead-acid batteries have the electrolyte absorbed in non-conductive fiberglass and include spiral-wound batteries. These require a different type of charger to ensure they receive a full charge at a higher voltage.
If you use a charger designed for the old liquid electrolyte batteries to charge an an AGM battery, it will never attain a full charge so it can never deliver the full performance it was designed for, and will likely not last as long as it should.
I hope this is helpful in your selection of the proper charger for your battery.
Oh sheeeee-ut. Well, it's a really cheap Leoch battery, so I'm guessing it's nothing special. I think it says it's sealed lead acid.
vuduchyld
Basic User

Post by vuduchyld »

swamper wrote:The tender is a good idea as it seems with the three R1150R we have the clock drains the system enough that sitting for a month leaves the Battery low.
I was just about to say that I'll have to ride it every day until I get the tender...but it looks like a lot of rain this week. Not that I'm a landlubber. Don't mind riding in the rain at all. But with a new-to-me bike, I'll probably feel the need to let her stay dry!
vuduchyld
Basic User

Post by vuduchyld »

gregor wrote:And that very small screen might be the oe flyscreen that I recommend. Lower wind noise than larger screens imao.Mine came with the system cases as well.
Post a picture of your bike when you can.
Enjoy!
Horrible picture. Will do better this weekend, but it's 10 PM and this is the only one I've got without me, my 7-year-old, my wife, or my co-workers in it! (My car is a Tesla, so that was the first time I stopped at a gas pump in a long while!)

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Not entirely sure, but isn't that the sport screen? I had one on my previous bike but currently have the fly screen which is a little bit smaller. Either way, nice looking bike you've got there-
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Thanks for the photograph. American gas pumps look different to UK petrol pumps.That's not the flyscreen I know. Mine is pale green/blue and has only two fixings under the top steering yoke.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Sports touring screen low, BMW item, they work very good. The fly screen is smaller and really only keeps the bugs off the back of the gauge holder.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

2004 29Kish miles R1150R