Speed Bleeder/Bottoms Up

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Speed Bleeder/Bottoms Up

Post by Bogdan »

Figured I'd start another thread as this is a somewhat different topic:

I'm planning to install a speed bleeder into the clutch line to replace the Werkstuk (spelling?) stock unit. It's a bit more complicated then putting speed bleeders into the brake lines. There's a mildly entertaining video that describes the procedure
https://alansykes.smugmug.com/Rockster- ... /i-X2nW37K

Here's my question: At the end of the video, the protagonist states that you can bleed from the bottom up with the speed bleeder
That seems counter-intuitive. Isn't the whole idea, a valve that allows the fluid to exit but does not permit air to enter?
Cam brake fluid enter but not air?

Confused in Colorado
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Re: Speed Bleeder/Bottoms Up

Post by Photoguy »

That is confusing as I've always assumed SB's were literally 'one-way' only for both liquid and air.

FWIW, prior to bleeding the brakes on the BMW, I've always bled from the bottom up as it seemed to make more sense to me to force air up and out vs. the other way around and with a short length of clear tubing attached to a syringe it was pretty easy to make sure there was no air in the line before pumping the fluid in.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

The standard bleed nipple works fine,easy.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Bogdan wrote: ...Here's my question: At the end of the video, the protagonist states that you can bleed from the bottom up with the speed bleeder
That seems counter-intuitive. Isn't the whole idea, a valve that allows the fluid to exit but does not permit air to enter?
Cam brake fluid enter but not air?
If speed bleeder fitting is installed as replacement for factory fill fitting at front subframe - and OE brake bleed nipples are retained at calipers - then you can push brake fluid up from calipers and bleed from mid-height. My guess is this is what the protagonist indicated.

Pushing fluid from brake master down the short connector hose to subframe is mostly bubble free.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I wouldn't think pushing the contaminated fluid from the caliper back up into the master cylinder would be good. Before I install new pads I bleed the calipers so that dirty moist fluid does not migrate back to the sensitive parts in the master cylinders. Even then while pressing the pistons back into the caliper bores I let the displaced fluid bleed from the bleeder screw.
Rich
ADIOS!
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Sunbeemer wrote:I wouldn't think pushing the contaminated fluid from the caliper back up into the master cylinder would be good. Before I install new pads I bleed the calipers so that dirty moist fluid does not migrate back to the sensitive parts in the master cylinders. Even then while pressing the pistons back into the caliper bores I let the displaced fluid bleed from the bleeder screw.
Curious as I honestly don't know, but is the fluid closest to the caliper more contaminated than what is in the rest of the line? I only bled from bottom to top on my old 70's Honda as that was the way I learned to do it and it seemed to avoid most of the air in the line issues.
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

The brake fluid in the caliper gets repeatedly heated by braking action and is often contaminated with moisture that seeps past the caliper piston seals. When you bleed brake fluid through the calipers' bleeder screws into clear Tygon tubing you'll often see the darker, contaminated brake fluid that was in the calipers come out first, followed by the lighter colored brake fluid in the brake lines, then finally the fresh, clear brake fluid you just installed in the master cylinder.
Rich
ADIOS!
CNorris
Basic User

Post by CNorris »

OP was about clutch bleeder. I just put a regular bleed screw in, BMW part (sorry, no #'s handy) to replace the factory "chunk." Then I bleed the clutch the same way I do the brakes. Personally, I gravity bleed 'em and take my time. No air, no mess, no worries. YMMV. It's not fast, but it's certain. I just replaced the clutch and clutch line in my '02, as well as the slave cylinder. Fresh start here!
Craig
'02 R1150R - second time around after 8 years away
'85 BMW R80 - I have a thing for Airheads
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

After removing the clutch's master-cylinder reservoir top (when bleeding the clutch) does anybody else notice a faint gear-oil smell (sulphurous) in that fluid? I always have and wonder if tranny fluid is seeping past a seal in the clutch slave-cylinder and mixing back to the master cylinder.
Rich
ADIOS!
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Not sure there is a seal having tranny fluid on one side and hydraulic fluid on the other side?
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147