Lost Post fuel filter problems?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoof
Basic User

Lost Post fuel filter problems?

Post by Hoof »

My last post disappeared within 24 hours -
I really would appreciate advice as since I changed the fuel filter the bike will not tick over and suddenly surges up to 5000 revs.
Now removed the fuel plate twice to check the hose connections and although they seem fine I'm considering replacing them all ....
At the moment I'm so confused as to think of swopping the fuel pipes round even though I'm as sure as can be that the front hose goes to the bottom fuel line by the throttle body! (I fitted new disconnects at the same time as the fuel filter)

I've now checked:-
The injectors ......which seem to spray just fine (although for a time the RH cylinder was cold ...its OK now)
The plugs.......... which are sparking fine
The throttle cables ...which are properly seated

SO this fine bike is running VERY rough!
All comments gratefully received.
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Re: Lost Post fuel filter problems?

Post by sstein »

If I recall correctly, the fuel filter has directionality to it - I think there is a directional arrow on it. Is it installed correctly?

Does the fuel pump make the normal whirring sound prior to starting the bike?

Did you disconnect the battery for some reason? Need to do the motronic reset calibration?

[By the way, consider externalizing your fuel filter to make maintenance that much easier (search threads on this forum).}

Is there a problem with the filter "sock" inside the tank?

Is the vent hose correctly attached?

I agree that it sounded like a throttle cable issue, but you say it is correctly seated.

Frustrating problem!
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

SOLVED after 2 days of head scratching and checking...... Fuel tank removed twice, cleaned out, new filter checked, all pipes checked twice , newly installed QDs treble checked, Motronic reset etc etc etc. Bike still barely running,backfiring, surging, not ticking over.

and of course I checked the obvious TB cables were not pulled out of the adjuster slot which would be the obvious solution..... but what I found this morning was the correctly seated Right Hand adjuster cable was pulled out at the other end under the frame by about 5mm - it appears to fit in a grommet which was dry and the friction around the cable was sufficient to hold the cable out of position.

So a 2 second squirt of lubricant was all that was needed. I never considered the other end of the cable which is partly hidden under a soft rubber pipe and wonder if anyone else has had this maddening hidden fault as I can't find any mention of it in abut 100 searches!
The bike now runs perfectly, no backfiring, no surges to 5,000revs, excellent tickover.

Thanks to everyone for advice including those who replied before my initial post went missing. Now instead of parting out the bike (which I felt like doing) I'm going to kick myself and carry on with the service - what else could possibly go wrong!
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Hoof wrote:SOLVED after 2 days of head scratching and checking...... Fuel tank removed twice, cleaned out, new filter checked, all pipes checked twice , newly installed QDs treble checked, Motronic reset etc etc etc. Bike still barely running,backfiring, surging, not ticking over.

and of course I checked the obvious TB cables were not pulled out of the adjuster slot which would be the obvious solution..... but what I found this morning was the correctly seated Right Hand adjuster cable was pulled out at the other end under the frame by about 5mm - it appears to fit in a grommet which was dry and the friction around the cable was sufficient to hold the cable out of position.

So a 2 second squirt of lubricant was all that was needed. I never considered the other end of the cable which is partly hidden under a soft rubber pipe and wonder if anyone else has had this maddening hidden fault as I can't find any mention of it in abut 100 searches!
The bike now runs perfectly, no backfiring, no surges to 5,000revs, excellent tickover.

Thanks to everyone for advice including those who replied before my initial post went missing. Now instead of parting out the bike (which I felt like doing) I'm going to kick myself and carry on with the service - what else could possibly go wrong!

Good find!!

Another one to add to the list of troubleshooting checks.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

So glad you found it. Reporting stuff like this helps us all when it comes time for us to do the same work.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Thanks folks, The problem was really solved by forum members who identified the symptom as most likely the throttle cable seating which I'd checked over and over and over .....but it took some time for me to think of checking the other end of the cable which was the eureka moment!
When it pushed in; I knew immediately the problem was solved.

Such a simple fix but it took some finding - I believe I must have pulled the cable when waggling the visible end to check it was properly seated after I put in the new QDs ....nothing to do with fitting the new fuel filter at the same time.
I read that any lubrication of the Bowden box is discouraged but a little silicone on that RH side cable entrance grommet is probably worthwhile. It was only friction on the dry grommet that stopped the cable returning by itself

I guess I'll stick to doing one job at a time from now on - much reduces the problem solving when I get it wrong!

Thanks again everyone, That cable was about 5mm out - I wonder how many of us are riding round with a minor running problem if the throttle cable is visibly seated at the TB but just a mm out at the bowden box! Worth checking before tuning......
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Lube on the cables is good in my opinion. I've had those dam cables out of the seat to many times, good you found it although it was at the opposite end of what I figured was your problem.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147