How Can You Tell if a Cable is Bad

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

skylarmav1
Basic User

How Can You Tell if a Cable is Bad

Post by skylarmav1 »

So I took out the bowden box and am curious how to tell which cables need replaced? I did this due to throttle cable being hard to twist but should I replace all the cables? All look good with no kinks or frays. I plan on replacing throttle but it's costly to replace others if not needed. The bike is pretty much a fair weather rider with 33k on it.
Thx all!
Skylarmav1
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Re: How Can You Tell if a Cable is Bad

Post by Photoguy »

Its hard for me to imagine what the cables alone would feel like, but I'd imagine that the plastic covering should slide relatively easily along the length? I mean that's all it is right- a galvanized steel cable covered in a plastic/vinyl sheath? IOW, if you were to capture one end in a vice I'd think that you should be able to slide the cover back and forth without much resistance.And since you have them both off, you could compare to each other- what are the chances that they would both suffer from the same binding issue? Got a local m/c shop where you might be able to get your hands on a new similar cable to compare it to and just get a feeling for a new one compared t yours?

I'm basing on this on the simple feeling that my throttle turns without much resistance at all and returns just as easily. Hard to quantify how much resistance, but really not much at all.

At the stage I think I'd try the teflon cleaner or some other lube, spraying them and seeing if it changes anything.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

All my other makes of bikes have lubing the cables as a maintenance item, Harley, Suzuki, Honda. BMW is the only one that doesn't.

As said before I bought a R1150R last year that had been stored outside for fourteen years in the weather. All the cables were almost frozen/ very stiff with no return action. Used the lube to free them up and they have worked very well with standard effort, same as my other BMW's. I lube them all now on a regular maintenance schedule, every other oil change, I keep records of what I do on all our bikes, 6 BMW, 2Harley, 2Suzuki and 1Honda currently. I can't think that BMW cables are some sort of new industrial never lube cable and the other makers don't have access to, just my opinion.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

From what I've read, BMW cables have a teflon sheath that doesn't need to be, and shouldn't be, lubed with anything that will degrade it, including petroleum-based products or solvents.
Rich
ADIOS!
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

You can remove suspect bad cables and they feel fine, when you put tension on them on reinstallation they tighten up .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

I wonder if anyone has replaced the OE cable segments with "normal " serviceable cable? Not that such change would necessarily be bettter, but less expensive and more maintenance manageable.

Bowden box is simple device and serviceable.

CycleRob did one of his excellent photo essays on R1150R cables and Bowden box...
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

So I cleaned the Bowden box then lubed with silicone spray per Chris Harris and have things placed back together just so I can see what difference the removal and cleaning made. It worked!
Not sure exactly what I did with the exception of a good cleaning of all parts but my throttle cable is much easier to twist than before. I did not place any lube on the cables. At least at this point when the cables are supposed to be replaced per manual (two years from now if riding habits stay the same) I'll know how to do it and what to expect and will be able to complete in an afternoon. Thanks to all for help!!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

skylarmav1 wrote:So I cleaned the Bowden box then lubed with silicone spray per Chris Harris and have things placed back together just so I can see what difference the removal and cleaning made. It worked!
Not sure exactly what I did with the exception of a good cleaning of all parts but my throttle cable is much easier to twist than before. I did not place any lube on the cables. At least at this point when the cables are supposed to be replaced per manual (two years from now if riding habits stay the same) I'll know how to do it and what to expect and will be able to complete in an afternoon. Thanks to all for help!!
Congrats and thanks for sharing experience!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

=D>