Puig Flyscreen / Emgo Fairing

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

RSMike
Basic User

Puig Flyscreen / Emgo Fairing

Post by RSMike »

Just picked up a Puig Roadster screen from Ebay DE for €62 incl shipping to Ireland. If anyone is looking for a good value/quality flyscreen I would recommend it.
Did a quick test run up to 140Kph after fitting and no noticeable increase in noise but a noticeable decrease in wind blast ( I know the latter may be hard to believe given its size).

I purchased from seller powermint ( I have no connection, but I did get a great fast service)

Came with two sets of spacers, the smaller pair are needed for pre facelift bikes like mine, I'm guessing for facelift and 1150 bikes no spacers required.
Last edited by RSMike on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
Lowzero2
Basic User

Re: Puig Flyscreen

Post by Lowzero2 »

That Silver is a great color.

Screen looks good. Did they offer a smoked version?
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

Lowzero2 wrote:That Silver is a great color.

Screen looks good. Did they offer a smoked version?
No, not in this roadster screen, though there are other Puig screens that are smoked, have a look on ebay.
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

I decided to go for a new look and a more effective screen.

I had a good experience with the Emgo (Viper) headlight fairing previously on a BMW R65, so decided to try one again. Its a tight fit due to the instrument pods on the earlier R, but just doable, I added some foam padding between the pods and the fairing to hopefully prevent scratching of the pods. Rather than butcher the fairing or mess with the original indicators I fitted an aftermarket miniature pair to the fairing.
I'm happy enough with the outcome, these screens are extremely effective and quiet / no turbulence. My local Halfords stitched me up on the paint colour, Their Artic Grey is a bad match for the original.I will try an internet supplier to see if I can get a better match.

I have also recovered my seat, inspired by Wine Guy !
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
WineGuyD
Basic User

Re: Puig Flyscreen / Emgo Fairing

Post by WineGuyD »

I like the seat pattern Mike, I did not know I had that option when I ordered mine. I'm still trying to figure out what half fairing would fit our bikes.
Eli the wine guy
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

WineGuyD wrote:I like the seat pattern Mike, I did not know I had that option when I ordered mine. I'm still trying to figure out what half fairing would fit our bikes.
I think I got my seat cover from a different supplier than you did. Mine came from a UK supplier on Ebay (topgaiters), they really only do this pattern, but in a multitude of color options.
This is the black and dark red option. The quality is good ( real leather) and very fast turnaround (overnight).

I also think I misunderstood what you meant by a half-fairing, I guess the emgo fairing is a Headlight fairing, a half fairing would extend further?
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

RSMike wrote:
WineGuyD wrote:This is the black and dark red option. The quality is good ( real leather) and very fast turnaround (overnight).

I also think I misunderstood what you meant by a half-fairing, I guess the emgo fairing is a Headlight fairing, a half fairing would extend further?

I know the supplier you are talking about, I considered them but was hesitant to go for real leather because of the potential for vandalism in the city. Your fairing is a quarter fairing, looks great BTW, a half fairing mounts to the bike frame and is stationary, it doesn't pivot with the front fork. The Ducati 750/900SS fairing is exactly what I want for my bike but I've yet to see an R1100R with one.
Eli the wine guy
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

WineGuyD wrote:Your fairing is a quarter fairing, looks great BTW, a half fairing mounts to the bike frame and is stationary, it doesn't pivot with the front fork. The Ducati 750/900SS fairing is exactly what I want for my bike but I've yet to see an R1100R with one.
OK, I got you now, Gimbel of Germany ( http://www.gimbel-motorradtechnik.de/umbau/umbau.html) do a half Fairing specifically for the R1100R/R850R, here is a shot of one fitted:

Looks nice, big bucks though, $1K and $380 to paint. Still I would not discourage anyone from spending money on these bikes. I Picked mine up for just over €2K which is nothing compared to what guys are spending on newer machinery, even if you spend the same money again bringing the bike up to a high standard, its still good value, as well as fun and a sense of pride. So I say go for it!
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

That's moving in the right direction in that it's fixed to the frame but it's a touring fairing, I'm looking for a classic cafe racer half fairing…more torpedo looking!
Eli the wine guy
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

Got a better color match for the headlight fairing paint and matched the hand guards while I was at it. Its rattle can quality but I'm happy with the result.
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE