Flushing and bleeding the ABS system

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hawkeye
Basic User

Flushing and bleeding the ABS system

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi guys and gals
Decided to flush my bikes brake lines out after extending the lines for higher handle bars. Did it the old way with a bottle then vacuum bleeder.
Four hours later and a lot more gray hairs still trying to bleed the system.
Read all the abs info on google and finial'y found an bit from another BMW forum about Integral systems.
Goggle: BMW Integral ABS Systems Flushing and Bleeding 101 - RCN
This is by Dana E Harger & Charles Gilman
For the people that don't know about bleeding Integral Systems not STD ABS this was a good step by step way of bleeding the Rockster.
The only hassle was having to take the tank off again and make up a funnel with a threaded end to fill the abs reservoir. Had to cut a thread on my lathe out of nylon.
I am surprised I could not find anything on this forum.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Flushing and bleeding the ABS system

Post by riceburner »

There may be more info in the R1150R section. The Rockster is (basically) the same bike, and there's a lot more R1150Rs than Rocksters.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Sounds like you got through it but FYI- I'm pretty sure that's the procedure that's been linked on the 1150 page for the integrated abs system. I followed it step by step, and while it did take some time, it was pretty straight forward. Also there is a funnel available through Beemer Boneyard that helps a lot.
Hawkeye
Basic User

Post by Hawkeye »

Yes you are right. Once you know that you have to bleed two reservoirs not one it was easy. The funnel that I made up did the job.
Not so easy to get those sort of beamer tools in NZ and I wanted to get the job done yesterday. Have been back on the bike for the first time in over two years.
With the new higher bars it it is amazing the difference. No weight on my hands at all and no back ache. Just need to sort the seat and a screen. Like a new bike. Will put some picks up on the slightly new look Rockster later when it's finished, if I can figure how to do it.