2012 Bash

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

2012 Bash

Post by Buckster »

The backround of this picture sums up what this ride was all about!
It was a great weekend to meet up with good friends, awesome roads, and absolutely perfect weather with the exception of some rain Thursday evening.
I didn't get that many pictures as the roads were just too good to stop for pictures AND my 15 year old didn't know what a memory card was for and apparently took it out of the camera!!
I took these in Lexington, VA right after crossing the B.R.P. on route 60. Rt.60 is a nice relaxing road to take and had some great twisties going through the Blue Ridge Mountains.
I only hit a few spurts of rain right before I hit WV. Apparently some other bash attendies got a rather nice shower and a free bike wash courteous of an evening downpour.
We were mostly all in the back of the hotel. Great place for motorcycle parking!
Some serious discussions Friday A.M. before take off.
I hooked up with Tom and his son Kevin for a nice 240 mile round trip that day. We hit the New River Gourge Bridge. I have read about this behemeth bridge before but it was awesome to see it in person.

This thing is as tall as the Washington Monument and 2 Statues of Liberty stacked on top of each other.
Picture doesn't even begin to show how big it is.
We travelled on excellent roads with very little traffic and perfect 77 degree temps for the day.
We went up on 150 which was similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hardly any one up there and some nice sweepers.

There were several scenic overlooks as well and we liked this particular one because it had a "Winners Circle" just past the parking lot. Perfect for a motorcycle to be rolled up on and get a great shot.
Couldn't get that grin off my face all day!
The next day was a very interesting visit to the Greenbrier Hotel's hidden underground bunker. No pictures were allowed and this was where I found out there was no memory card in the camera! The hotel and grounds were beautiful and I was going to snap a picture......but noooo!

Image.
I had to end with this one.....the beak!!!
I had a great time! It was great seeing everyone again. Vann, thanks for putting it on and I wanted to say thanks to Tom and Kevin for letting me tag along. Tom had some great routes planned along with some excellent places to visit and to eat! John, the Maple Porter was very good too!
Buckster '03R
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: 2012 Bash

Post by Boxer »

Here's one of Jeff trying to sneak up on the bikes.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

...and Buckster surprised as he gets ice for his bucket.
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

Here is my contribution:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1171967395 ... directlink

What a great time! Hope some of the 1200R riders can make it next year. Ride safe all!
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

You guys look mlike you had fun!
Thanks for the pix, B. That bunker is something. It was a secret until Jimmy Carter let the secret out of the bag. I get to go to the Greenbrier every other year for a meeting. Man, I could live there if I could afford it. Some good ghost stories there, also.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

The Bunker was revealed by an investigative article in the Washington Post in 1992, when Bush the First was in office. Shortly after the article, The Bunker was decommisioned.

(Jus' keepin' the record straight.)
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

NoRRmad wrote:The Bunker was revealed by an investigative article in the Washington Post in 1992, when Bush the First was in office. Shortly after the article, The Bunker was decommisioned.

Well, when my wife and I took the tour of the bunker last year the tourguide said it was Jimmy Carter. It is decommissioned. So, it was either the Washington Post or Jimmy Carter who spilled the beans and made it useless. One or the other performed a valuable national service :doubt:
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Forget the Bunker. Here are some more pics. I finally got mine posted at Slablog gallery.

http://slablog.net/?page_id=1125
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
NoRRmad wrote:The Bunker was revealed by an investigative article in the Washington Post in 1992, when Bush the First was in office. Shortly after the article, The Bunker was decommisioned.

Well, when my wife and I took the tour of the bunker last year the tourguide said it was Jimmy Carter. It is decommissioned. So, it was either the Washington Post or Jimmy Carter who spilled the beans and made it useless. One or the other performed a valuable national service :doubt:
Tourguides can have an agenda, too... [-X Carter had been out of office for eleven years before the Washington Post article was printed.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Good pictures all.

Did y'all get through 10 and 16? Pass through Cucumber, WV? No one has a pic of the "House of God, Cucumber, WV," huh? Great shot, but impossible to stop there.

Any run ins with Officer Friendly?

and all that's required for an agenda is the ability for conscious thought. :)

John
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I believe Mike Chew aquired a performance award that weekend.
Buckster '03R
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

Guilty.

mac
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

It has been a busy week and weekend since the Bash but at last, here is my album. Shooting pictures from the bike gets a lot of trash to delete but yields some lucky shots. But I have got to get a Go Pro with helmet mount before I screw up one day!

http://h2oman.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/B ... &k=W2BFDLS
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I have corrected a misidentified member in one of the pictures. Larry, just plan on me calling you Buckster or Buck from now on! :lol:

The mind is the first thing to go you know! :oops:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Ol' Jeffers

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

jfslater98 wrote:Here is my contribution:

What a great time! Hope some of the 1200R riders can make it next year. Ride safe all!
John....I must ask you who is he maker of the fine motorcycle suit you have in these shots?
OJ........everybody's pal!!
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Ol' Jeffers wrote:

John....I must ask you who is he maker of the fine motorcycle suit you have in these shots?
If I were to hazard a guess, its looks like a Motoport top/bottoms based on the reflectors, etc.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Good pictures all.

Did y'all get through 10 and 16? Pass through Cucumber, WV? No one has a pic of the "House of God, Cucumber, WV," huh? Great shot, but impossible to stop there.

John
I rode through Cucumber, WV on my way back from Hungry Mother, but no pictures.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

angellr wrote:
Ol' Jeffers wrote:

If I were to hazard a guess, its looks like a Motoport top/bottoms based on the reflectors, etc.
Actually an Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-sie. Sorry for the late reply. There's video from Cyclerob of me giving that thing a righteous beating, have to find it.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster