Motorcycle Related Podcast

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Motorcycle Related Podcast

Post by Boxer »

I haven't been very active on this board since I traded my R1150R and I miss the neighborhood. Lil Chubb has been very good to me since I bought her in 2010 and I now have about 55K miles on her. I have retired to the backwoods of south Alabama and don't ride near as much.

Many of you might recall my Slablog blog I had for a number of years as I chronicled bike rides and other motorcycling and art associated activities. I let that lapse also last year and just focused on my art as I built a workshop/studio in my back yard. The news is, that I have resurrected Slablog in the form of a podcast.
My two older brothers had a radio talk show here in our little town of Atmore back in 2014 and were just getting fairly popular locally when the station was sold and they were fired. Fast forward to now; they have agreed to partner with me in doing a recurring weekly podcast that is motorcycle centered but somewhat along the lines of their radio program, where they interviewed interesting "characters". We want to interview and talk with interesting motorcycling "characters". Riders, enthusiasts, wrenches, dealers, racers or anybody else who would like to just sit and talk about something interesting concerning motorcycling.
We are a long way from being what I would deem professional, and have so far produced and published 5 podcasts as we struggle to figure it all out and sharpen our skills at recorded interviewing.
Why am I posting this? Well, I need guests. Plain and simple. I am personally tapping all my local biking connections to actually, physically get guests into the recording studio to sit and talk, but Atmore is small. As I hone my skills with the production part with recording, mixing and editing I will add the capability to record phone interviews pretty soon.
That brings us to this forum post. If you would like to be interviewed, or just be part of a podcast with us, please don't be bashful. Just PM me here or email me at bykerphil at yahoo dot com or call my cell at 67eight, 5seven7, 989five and I'd be happy to chat with you setting up a time or just explaining more about what we hope to do. You can find our podcast at iTunes, Stitcher and I imagine other places as well. You can also just go to our website at slablog.net and listen there. Remember, we are just getting started! LOL
That's about all for now. Sorry Doug for the long winded post. Y'all ride safe out there.
Boxer aka Phil ;) :!:
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Motorcycle Related Podcast

Post by riceburner »

Never raced, rallied, or sold, but done a little bit of home-mechaniching on various machines and done a bit of riding around, so if you're well and truly desperate (you'd have to be!), let me know. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Boxer, I'm supposed to travel to Monroeville soon, and that's the closest I get to Atmore as part of current job travels.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:Boxer, I'm supposed to travel to Monroeville soon, and that's the closest I get to Atmore as part of current job travels.

I'm actually supposed to be in the US in May, and looked up Atmore on the map......

Nope - sorry! I'm only doing Seattle to 'Frisco! I'm afraid I'm about as far away from Atmore as I could be! (Ironic really! :D) But... as it's radio, the interviee can be anwhere!

Boxer - once you figure out the connections would you consider having other non-US folk on the show? Biking is biking, all over the world and I would be fascinated to hear of the experiences of BMW riders from places like South America or Far East Asia.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Riceburner! Are you kidding?!? I would LOVE to have non-US riders on the show. When you come to the states in May, just ring me up and we can arrange a time slot where you can phone in and do an interview. It only takes about 15 or 20 minutes to lay down some recording tracks. The rest I do in post production before publishing as an episode.
I have done 1 phone interview already; Episode 6. That was mostly a test, but worked okay, and I'm no audio engineer by any stretch but I believe I am ready for more call-in interviews.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Boxer wrote:Riceburner! Are you kidding?!? I would LOVE to have non-US riders on the show. When you come to the states in May, just ring me up and we can arrange a time slot where you can phone in and do an interview. It only takes about 15 or 20 minutes to lay down some recording tracks. The rest I do in post production before publishing as an episode.
I have done 1 phone interview already; Episode 6. That was mostly a test, but worked okay, and I'm no audio engineer by any stretch but I believe I am ready for more call-in interviews.
Cool!
I can probably do any Friday afternoon before then as well.
Can you record from a Skype or Google Hangouts call?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

When it comes to audio technology I must confess I am a few cards shy of a full deck.LOL I've watched a few YouTube videos on this topic of recording from Skype, phone, etc. but I feel like I've made a major breakthrough being able to record from the phone and get a reasonably good track. To do Skype, apparently I need different connections and/or cables to make it work and I imagine it would be similar with Google Hangouts. That, and my audio mixer is a digital version used by the Focusrite interface I currently have. A lot of the videos show how to do things using an actual physical mixer, like the Ehrlinger and when I try to convert the instructions to my set-up it doesn't appear to be the same controls, etc. So I have more or less muddled my way through to this point. I'm not averse to using Skype. That would be cool. I just don't know how yet. But I will keep studying and possibly hit on it soon. That would certainly open up a host of other interview possibilities by doing it over the internet. I'll keep you posted.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Boxer wrote:When it comes to audio technology I must confess I am a few cards shy of a full deck.LOL I've watched a few YouTube videos on this topic of recording from Skype, phone, etc. but I feel like I've made a major breakthrough being able to record from the phone and get a reasonably good track. To do Skype, apparently I need different connections and/or cables to make it work and I imagine it would be similar with Google Hangouts. That, and my audio mixer is a digital version used by the Focusrite interface I currently have. A lot of the videos show how to do things using an actual physical mixer, like the Ehrlinger and when I try to convert the instructions to my set-up it doesn't appear to be the same controls, etc. So I have more or less muddled my way through to this point. I'm not averse to using Skype. That would be cool. I just don't know how yet. But I will keep studying and possibly hit on it soon. That would certainly open up a host of other interview possibilities by doing it over the internet. I'll keep you posted.

Good stuff!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

For anyone who might be available to call in today, we are getting the hosts together to do some recording for podcasts. I'll have the equipment warmed up and the phone connected. You can call my number about 3:15 central time and we'll have a short discussion about...well, just about anything really. 678-577-9895. I hope to hear from someone today! Thanks

Boxer aka Phil
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Sorry I missed the opportunity, Phil.
Was out riding, early spring sun - rare for us. And savoring the freedom before we are under house arrest.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Here is the published podcast that we recorded yesterday. Charles is one of our riding friends from Georgia and his discussion turned out to be quite humorous, and it gave me some ideas of how to handle future call-in guest interviews. Check it out! We will probably make Saturday our regular day for recording since that seems to be a day when most people are free to call in....Unless they are out actually engaging in motorcycling! LOL :lol:

https://slablog.net/wp/2020/03/21/episo ... interview/
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

The 9th episode has been published and even though we had fun making it, it isn't as good as the last one. We continue to have problems getting guests to join us for a discussion/interview. We can take phone calls now, so if you want to be a guest, let me know and I will get the other guys together and you can just phone in for a few minutes. We want to hear from anyone with a story...and EVERYONE has a story. :-)
Boxer aka Phil

http://slablog.libsyn.com/pootie-barnhill-snip-2
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Podcast number 10. Eric Chatham is the guest. For you Hungry Mother riders, Eric cam along once or twice with the Georgia group. He now lives out of a motor home and travels around America. You might find it of some interest.

https://youtu.be/Z_AtJdn430k
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

We recorded another phone-in podcast yesterday and I got it published today. I don't know if anyone knows Ian "Scoobs" Scobie but he is the British fellow who lives in Georgia and goes to lots of rallies. He usually wears a kilt at the rallies and has become the head of the Friday night chili dinner at the Georgia BMW rally held in May each year at Hiawassee, GA.
Ian phoned in and we had a nice chat for about 30 minutes. It became podcast Episode 11. Check it out.

Slablog Episode 11
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Episode 13 has been published! We spoke for a bit with our very own JB44 from here on the Board. JB was one of the original attendees at the first Bash, and we spoke about his experience at that time...It wasn't pleasant, but we talked about it anyway. My brothers enjoyed the story.
Take a few minutes and have a listen whereever you get your podcasts, or just click the link below for the Slablog web page.

And I still need to hear from some of you other guys as well! I have made some super improvements in the audio quality. J.B., however, said he was hearing a 1 sec. echo on his landline call in. I need to get that sorted out, but it sounded great on our end.

https://slablog.net/wp/2020/05/13/episo ... -with-j-b/

jb44
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by jb44 »

Hi Phil,

Really weird hearing myself...

Enjoyed the telephone visit. Hope to visit in person once I'm off house arrest... :shock:

jb
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Enjoying the show. Got caught up with last 4 episodes today while working in shop.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

jb44 wrote:Hi Phil,

Really weird hearing myself...

Enjoyed the telephone visit. Hope to visit in person once I'm off house arrest... :shock:

jb
It's fun to learn more about some of the long-timers here on the R1150R board. Having been a member for many years, including the first board version, it's a like a never-met-in-person family. But strangely it does feel a bit like family.

We only got that one chance for the West Coast meetup in Torrey.
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I need to get some more of the original crew on the podcast. I've been meaning to call Cyclerob and see if he is up to it. (Are you listening Rob?) If you have any other suggestions I'd be happy to try and contact them...plus the door is still open to you Sweatmark. Let me know and I can circle the wagons for a recording session.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Hey I'd be happy to participate. Won't be traveling to Alabama until company travel policy changes, but available otherwise.