Brake recall

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

vielzebub
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Brake recall

Post by vielzebub »

ShinySideUp wrote:
ChiTown wrote: I bet if I recorded my daily ride with a helmet cam you would be horrified...
OK, I'll take that bet! It'd be a great video, providing, of course, you edit out all the boring parts like waiting at lights and backing into your parking places. Bring it on!
I'm horrified in Boston frequently, I can't imagine Chicago, LA, or NYC.

I've often thought of recording my commute just so folks could see the madness.
Too many people, not enough paying attention and the inevitable one or two who have ROAD RAGE. :smt068

It really is an adventure.
- Eric V
bobelliot
Basic User

Post by bobelliot »

Took my bike in today for it's 6k and was told it had the brake line recall. They have to wait for the parts to come in before it can be fixed. Did not get a notice in the mail yet.
'07 R1200 R
'06 F650 GS
[email protected] Lee Parks Total Control
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

Just got my bike out of the 6k service. No brake line recall.
There was an upgrade to the valve sensors or something to address the clicking when opening up the throttle. I will post with an update when I get my receipt out of my car.
icecave
Lifer

Post by icecave »

My 6000 mile service also included warranty work items for the software and brakes. It seems the parts and service department like to annoy customers - schedule service and then don't have the parts so you'll have to reschedule the brake work.
Dan
Crystal Grey '07 R1200R
What I don't know fills libraries around the world.
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

MrChicken wrote:Interestingly, I took my bike in for the brake recall today, and my dealer also quietly replaced the ring antenna. Apparently not a BMW recall, but I was told some bikes have been flagged as requiring a replacement (mine is a 2008), and this was being done whenever the flagged bike was brought in by the owner for service, etc.
Hmmm - presume your dealer is my dealer (Procycles) - so I might ask for the same when I take mine in for its 10,000km services and brake recall. Can I quote you as an anonymous source?
Salub wrote: BMW Motorrad has ascertained that there is a possibility that a brake line of your motorcycle's front brake system might have suffered damage. Damage of this nature could result in a loss of brake fluid ... My bike has no loss of front brake fluid, I always check the bike before and after rides
No loss of fluid in mine either, and I check every ride (one small advantage of the specimen-jar reservoir).

... about time the poor ol' gal got a run, too - city rides of late, 'cept one quick blat to Wollombi, so the F650CS is getting all the use (flicky as a scooter, crackly as a brit single, (almost as) quick as a super'tard.. )
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
Radar in oz
Lifer

Post by Radar in oz »

Caroanbill wrote: Hmmm - presume your dealer is my dealer (Procycles) - so I might ask for the same when I take mine in for its 10,000km services and brake recall. Can I quote you as an anonymous source?
Better still you can quote BMW spokesman Andrew Corne. According to Australian Motorcycle News, a service advice has been issued from national head office to all dealers about replacing the EWS when faulty bikes are presented. An unamed dealer said supplemetary service information has also been sent telling dealers to replace the EWS on any BMW fitted with the part (potentially all models since 2007, except 650s) including all new bikes in the showroom and those presented by customers. Accoring to Mr Corne it was "a more advanced problem than it initially appeared".

So I'm expecting a replacement EWS when I get around to having the brake line done.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Radar in oz wrote:Better still you can quote BMW spokesman Andrew Corne. According to Australian Motorcycle News, a service advice has been issued from national head office to all dealers about replacing the EWS when faulty bikes are presented. An unamed dealer said supplemetary service information has also been sent telling dealers to replace the EWS on any BMW fitted with the part (potentially all models since 2007, except 650s) including all new bikes in the showroom and those presented by customers. Accoring to Mr Corne it was "a more advanced problem than it initially appeared".
Radar - would you happen to have a URL link for this article? it will surely stir the fires of EWS debates on the BMW-MOA forums.. :badgrin:
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

Had my recall done yesterday. Brakes feel much better, most of the spongyness I noticed after my S3 testride is gone (The brakes on the S3 are still much better though).
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
Radar in oz
Lifer

Post by Radar in oz »

deilenberger wrote:Radar - would you happen to have a URL link for this article? it will surely stir the fires of EWS debates on the BMW-MOA forums.. :badgrin:
Unfortunately there is no URL. I believe it only appears in print in the magazine down here. From memory, according to the article it is a hot topic on many web forums (who would have believed that?), including those for F800, with the problem initially thought to be confined mainly to Europe. Doesn't seem to be the case however. BTW I'm not complaining, mine hasn't failed ;)
phillyboy
Lifer

Post by phillyboy »

icecave wrote:It seems the parts and service department like to annoy customers - schedule service and then don't have the parts so you'll have to reschedule the brake work.
Exactly my experience today. I only went in for the software update, they told me about the brake conversion. I'll have to go back for the "Brake Conversion Recall" when the parts that needed to be ordered are in stock. I'm not too far from my dealer, and I'm not leaking brake fluid, so it's not such a big deal, but still. I've never gotten a letter about any recall (or the 'welcome' kit that I've heard of others getting) but the dealership I go to plugs in my vin# when I come in for service, and any recalls or service bulletins show up on their computer.

I've gotta say though, that the "Update BMS-KP" (software?) update not only solved the pinging that I had been hearing when pulling out, but that I had previously been told was normal, but I feel as though the throttle-response(good before) is slightly better and the acceleration smoother. I am loving this bike more and more all the time.

Now that I've got a few hundred miles with it, I also can recommend the ztechnik VStream. (Headlight Cutout to Top: 18.75 in. (47.6cm); Width: 17.50 in. (44.5cm), Material 4.5mm FMR coated Polycarbonate) I replaced the stock sport screen with the ztechnik version, and I'm very happy. I'm about 5'8'' and my comfort at speed is much improved. The wind-blast is no longer punching me in the chest, and there is still air coming into my helmet-vents. I get less buffeting also, although it was not a big problem with the stock screen. I was hesitant to go with ztechnik because I seemed to remember Don E. not liking it so much, and I trust his opinion about these things. I have to differ here, though, I like it a lot.
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone
May the four winds blow you safely home
-Garcia/Hunter
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

phillyboy wrote:Now that I've got a few hundred miles with it, I also can recommend the ztechnik VStream. (Headlight Cutout to Top: 18.75 in. (47.6cm); Width: 17.50 in. (44.5cm), Material 4.5mm FMR coated Polycarbonate) I replaced the stock sport screen with the ztechnik version, and I'm very happy. I'm about 5'8'' and my comfort at speed is much improved. The wind-blast is no longer punching me in the chest, and there is still air coming into my helmet-vents. I get less buffeting also, although it was not a big problem with the stock screen. I was hesitant to go with ztechnik because I seemed to remember Don E. not liking it so much, and I trust his opinion about these things. I have to differ here, though, I like it a lot.
Actually - what I reported was I had one, and decided not to mount it since I was unimpressed by the mounting kit... I think you are the first person who has tried it who is happy with it - there have been quite a few reports here of people who bought it and found the turbulence excessive.

Out of curiousity - what's your inseam? That and height will actually give some idea of your head position relative to the screen. Might be you're the ideal height for the ZTechnic screen.
MrChicken
Lifer

Post by MrChicken »

Caroanbill wrote:Hmmm - presume your dealer is my dealer (Procycles) - so I might ask for the same when I take mine in for its 10,000km services and brake recall. Can I quote you as an anonymous source?
Yep, Procycles at St Peters. They were very up-front about it and they seemed to check as a matter of course. It is worth prompting them, though. There were three things noted on their system for my bike - brakes, ring antenna, and some computer thingamagiggy (possibly a firmware update). I noticed on the weekend that they'd affixed a sticker under the seat with the recall details.
phillyboy
Lifer

Post by phillyboy »

Sorry, Don,
I didn't mean to misrepresent. I guess it was chitown who hated the ztechnik with a passion. Anyhowz, I have a 28-29'' inseam, I'm 5'7'' + a tad. (a metric tad)
The VStream works for me, it is a bit loud, IMHO, it's just a loudness that comes from a different place than with the sport screen, instead of from under/around my helmet, the noise now comes from... around the windshield. I try to remember to wear my earplugs anyway. (Also, I've noticed that a good (aerodynamically-designed) helmet makes a big difference in the wind.) I'm not pushing the product, just reporting my satisfaction. Whatever, it's totally OT anyway...
I have the perfect bike, I'm happy with that, the perfect windscreen I guess will be elusive, perhaps different for each individual.
Peace,
Steve
-Garcia/Hunter
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

phillyboy wrote:Sorry, Don,
I didn't mean to misrepresent. I guess it was chitown who hated the ztechnik with a passion. Anyhowz, I have a 28-29'' inseam, I'm 5'7'' + a tad. (a metric tad)
The VStream works for me, it is a bit loud, IMHO, it's just a loudness that comes from a different place than with the sport screen, instead of from under/around my helmet, the noise now comes from... around the windshield. I try to remember to wear my earplugs anyway. (Also, I've noticed that a good (aerodynamically-designed) helmet makes a big difference in the wind.) I'm not pushing the product, just reporting my satisfaction. Whatever, it's totally OT anyway...
I have the perfect bike, I'm happy with that, the perfect windscreen I guess will be elusive, perhaps different for each individual.
Peace,
Steve
Steve - no problem..

Since you're in Philly - you might consider going to the Square Route Rally (BMWBMW) this weekend. It's about 3 hours from Philly via PATP, or 4.5 via nice back roads.. and there will be several of us (R12R owners) there.. we could do a firsthand comparo of windscreens..

Info at: http://www.bmwbmw.org/node/58
http://www.bmwbmw.org/node/59

If you get there before about 7PM on Friday - never a problem snagging a bunk indoors. George B is coming with his black/black, I'm trying to convince Fred H to show - so we can have a farkleouttamie.. or shoot-out, or whatever.. :) Good rally, always fun, even when it rains/pours/floods.. (supposed to be good weather this weekend!)
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

I didn't mean to misrepresent. I guess it was chitown who hated the ztechnik with a passion.

Peace,
Steve

Wasn't me, I love mine! always have always will.
deilenberger wrote: Actually - what I reported was I had one, and decided not to mount it since I was unimpressed by the mounting kit... I think you are the first person who has tried it who is happy with it - there have been quite a few reports here of people who bought it and found the turbulence excessive.

Don,
didn't Ztechnik send you a screen for you to "test" for research, since you're a "journalist" for MOA?
I thought you didn't like the buffeting, like others have reported. If you've never actually mounted it how can you have such negative opinions I've seen you say many times on many forums, with the ending statement "I think you are the first person who has tried it who is happy with it"? You know full well there's plenty of us who like the screen.
I'm just asking'... seems like you have something personal against zTechnik, and if that's the case, lets hear about it.
Get Lost!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

ChiTown wrote:
I didn't mean to misrepresent. I guess it was chitown who hated the ztechnik with a passion.

Peace,
Steve
Wasn't me, I love mine! always have always will.
Joe,

Funny - I seem to recall also that at one point you'd removed it for some reason.. I remember it was turbulence related, but I could be mistaken.
deilenberger wrote: Actually - what I reported was I had one, and decided not to mount it since I was unimpressed by the mounting kit... I think you are the first person who has tried it who is happy with it - there have been quite a few reports here of people who bought it and found the turbulence excessive.
Don,
didn't Ztechnik send you a screen for you to "test" for research, since you're a "journalist" for MOA?
Yes they did.. and I never mounted it. My original agreement with them was I would try it (they had the "Ride-it before buying it deal" - but not on this screen) and if I liked it I'd buy it - full price. I didn't, and I didn't. I returned it.
I thought you didn't like the buffeting, like others have reported. If you've never actually mounted it how can you have such negative opinions I've seen you say many times on many forums, with the ending statement "I think you are the first person who has tried it who is happy with it"? You know full well there's plenty of us who like the screen.
I'm sorry - that's a misrepresentation. Please show me on any forum where I said *I* experienced buffeting with the ZTechnic. I can show you postings on this forum where people have experienced unacceptable turbulence with it and one person ended up first cutting down the windshield, then buying a different Z-Technic and finally selling both because he couldn't deal with the turbulence.

As far as "knowing full well" - sorry - not the case. I've seen many complaints on the ZTechnic, and yours is only the second posting I've seen praising it. Perhaps I've missed some - if so - please point me to them. There were several people who bought the ZTechnic and sold them here on the FleaMarket section of the forum.. (I know I was in communication with a few of them who PM'd me asking about other shields I'd tried.)
I'm just asking'... seems like you have something personal against zTechnik, and if that's the case, lets hear about it.
I have nothing at all personal against ZTechnic. I didn't mount it - because to me - the mount looked awkward and poorly finished, and I'd also read some not stellar reviews of it - right here on this forum. It didn't get reviewed positively OR negatively in the reviews I did for the Owners News, it was mentioned as another option I hadn't tested. It was sent back to ZTechnic after I decided I wasn't going to mount it or review it. I did hear from their sales manager afterwards - lets just say he was upset that I posted that I didn't try it because I didn't like the mount. Apparently I'm not supposed to have opinions about ZTechnic.

You may well be quite happy with yours - good for you. As I've tried to point out every time I've mentioned how well ANY shield works - your physique and body position on the bike will make a major difference in how well a particular shield works for you. Dunno if you notice - whenever someone tells about their experience I ask for their height and inseam, which gives me some idea of how they fit on the bike relative to the shield. I'd love to find ONE shield that works for me - it would let me sell the collection of them I have in my garage (purchased with my $$$.)

Sorry if there was any confusion on the issue.
phillyboy
Lifer

Post by phillyboy »

Yeah, that 'ride before you buy' is really a crock. The guy at the dealer I won't name told me that z-technic advertises this program, but doesn't give the distributors any credit for 'used' screens that folks don't like, they can't sell them used, so they don't usually have them installed on bikes for people to try.

I asked him why they had their dealer's name on the z-technic website as participating in a program that they don't in fact participate in, and he said that he didn't know that z-tec had them listed as a 'try before you buy' distributor. I thought maybe I smelled a whiff of bull**it, but you know, who cares, really. I don't. I bought it anyway and I'm happy with my decision. I like riding. I like going fast. I like riding fast without the wind-blast wrenching my neck or pounding my chest.

I lurked around an Acura forum for a while, before, and for a little while after I got a new car, but I began to suspect that the main reason for the forum's existence was to sell wheels and other aftermarket products, not to mention the occasional car to mostly kids, (well, young-adults, I guess I'm starting to feel old) but also to ummm maturity-challenged adults by talking up how cool stuff was, and blowing up their egos by oooh-ing and ahh-ing about stuff. This community ain't like that, thank buddha.

I was remiss in mentioning anybody by name, especially without being sure about what equipment/opinions they have and have expressed. I wasn't trying to stir up any controversy. Let's just enjoy our riding

My opinions are my own, and are only opinions. Furthermore I am used to being pretty much alone in holding many of them.

Pee-wee's Big Adventure is becoming more relevant to my life than I ever thought possible.

-Steve
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pee Wee Herman: There's things about me you don't know, Dottie. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.
Dottie: I don't understand.
Pee Wee Herman: You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pee-wee: I wouldn't sell my bike for all the money in the world. Not for a hundred million, billion, trillion dollars!
Francis: Then you're crazy!
Pee-wee: I know you are but what am I?
Francis: You're a nerd!
Francis: You're an idiot!
Pee-Wee, Francis: I know you are, but what am I? I know you are, but what am I? I know you are, but what am I? I know you are, but what am I? I know you are, but what am I? (Pee-Wee): Infinity!
Francis: No, I'm not.
Francis, Pee-Wee: You are! No way! Knock it off! Cut it out!
Francis: Shut up, Pee-Wee!
Pee-wee: Why don't you make me.
Francis: You make me!
Pee-wee: Because. I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em.
Francis: Pee-Wee listen to reason.
[Pee-Wee cuffs his hand around his ear in a listening motion]
Francis: Pee-Wee!
Pee-wee: Sh! I'm listening to reason.
Francis: Pee-Wee!
Pee-wee: That's my name, don't wear it out.
Francis: Remember the first time I saw your bike? You came riding passed my house and I came running out to tell you how much I liked it even way back then?
Pee-wee: I love that story.
[Jumps on bike and pedals away]
-Garcia/Hunter
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

LOL, I can relate to PeeWee too!

We're all digital friends here, no worries Steve.
I mean, where else can you find a group people who all have the best taste in motorbikes in one place? :mrgreen:
Get Lost!
icecave
Lifer

Post by icecave »

I am now leaking brake fluid and refilling the front brake specimen jar after each trip. When you stop, you'll note a drip spot near the kick stand. When it's on the center stand, the drip is accumulating in the seam of the exhust pipe just forward of the kick stand. It pools there so you never see the drip/leak. I haven't had time to figure out how/where the leak is originating.

Let's hope this is the recall problem and not a servicing issue with putting back together when they didn't have the parts. I'll have to follow-up with the dealer, since they haven't contacted me about restocking the warranty parts.
Dan
Crystal Grey '07 R1200R
What I don't know fills libraries around the world.
r12r-don
Basic User

Post by r12r-don »

I have three orange streaks from some type of fluid on my drive shaft. It doesn't seem to come off with normal soap. Wondering if this is splatter from a recall leak when I was riding. Will have to look