Marking the show in Southern Utah

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

bruno71
Basic User
Donating Member #: 495

Marking the show in Southern Utah

Post by bruno71 »

Lucifer: Talk not of paradise or creation, but mark the show. Go, Mephistopheles, fetch them in.

Southern Utah has its own magical charm in that the landscape seeks to dominate your very imagination and blur the line between the real and the fantastic. It should come as no surprise that this landscape was essentially populated by religious separatists, where the impossible was possible on a razor fine edge between what could either be a wasteland and natures own cathedral. The geology here conspires to create a paradox of relationships … the far seems near and the near is far—away. Land seemingly carved by God’s own fingers makes one seem closer to his majesty and in the same moment, the vastness of the landscape makes one feel small, inconsequential, unimportant and frail.

The towering hoodoos mark a different and infinitely grander expanse of time than we calculate and manage with our timers, clocks and calendars … our negligible seventy or so years. Here, one’s psyche is confronted by time immortal and a space so immense that it seems as if it could successfully contain the soul. The land here confronts man’s spirit demanding reverence and awe … destroying the ego and sending him on a journey of self-discovery.

However, I am a man with two important tools. The first is an iPod that happens to have “The Essential Ozzy” programmed into it, and Mr. Osborne has sagely reminded me that “the road to nowhere leads back to me.” Secondly, and more importantly, I have a motorcycle. This tool attacks the vastness of space and brings the far near and reflects the near into the rearview. This tool also allows me to quickly transform my relationship with any geographic location, constantly altering and thereby enlarging my perspective.

Equally significant, this tool, this motorcycle, by its very geometry makes it a special kind of classroom. With every thrust of the starter button, this thing shakes to life and seizes me … body and soul … and demands that I confront my own morality in this and every following moment. This relentless master demands that I should always be ready to pay in full … maybe here … or at the next blind curve or just over that hill. When I twist the throttle and pop the clutch, I already know that I had better rozen up my bow and play this fiddle hard because if you lose, the devil gets your soul. This reverence, this slavery … to two wheels … breeds a type of foolish arrogance that gives other masters less of a hold over my imagination.

The motorcycle intoxicates one with a sense of power and invincibility … or the illusion of it. I think of my bike as Mephistopheles from Christopher Marlowe’s play, Dr. Faustus. Riding a bike can be simply summed up as a deal with the devil. Like Faustus, I apparently think that the devil is a dupe, or is he?

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83 ... CF0974.flv

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83 ... CF0976.flv

And, whirling round with this circumference
Within the concave compass of the pole,
From east to west his dragons swiftly glide
And in eight days did bring him home again.
Not long he stayed within his quiet house
To rest his bones after his weary toil,
But new exploits do hale him out again,
And, mounted then upon a dragon’s back,
That with his wings did part the subtle air,
He now is gone to prove cosmography,
That measures coasts and kingdoms of the earth,

Christopher Marlowe’s Dr. Faustus (B-Text)

For the curious, this was an eight hundred mile round-trip south from Salt Lake City to HWY 6 to 31 to 10 to 72 to HWY 12 down Burr Trail, Capitol Reef National Park, back to HWY 12 to Dixie National Forest and Bryce Canyon National Park back to SLC. I spent the night at the edge of Escalante State Park in a for $#!t private campground that had one saving grace, a shower. Made dinner at my campsite (Ramen and peanut butter crackers) and then walked to a local cafe for a beer. Turns out that you have to buy food in order to drink a beer in Utah. One ten dollar salad later, I had a very cold and well deserved Hefe Weizen. Seems like you can have fourteen wives down there, but you have to order a meal to get a d@m^ beer. IMO they have the whole temperance thing backwards .... Personally, I would rather have fourteen beers and have to think about the whole wife thing over a meal ... or maybe with some sort of waiting period, ... let's say a mere decade.

On the way back home, I stopped in at a place named "Mom's Cafe" in Salina Utah. I highly recommend this place if "Flowers in the Attic" happens to define motherhood for you. Otherwise, you might want to opt for a pack of stale cheese crackers at the local 7-11.

Faustus (to the scholars): Gentlemen, farewell. If I live till morning, I'll visit you; if no, Faustus is gone to hell.

"Enough said------maybe too much?"

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
Ves
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Marking the show in Southern Utah

Post by Ves »

Nice back yard you have to play in. =D>
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

Thanks, ... I bought it as a fixer upper, but decided that 100 million years of neglect has its own aesthetic. :p

-Bruno

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
Ukemi
Basic User

Post by Ukemi »

you are in my favorite area of S. Utah! I love that ride! Very jealous. :x
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

Is the prose yours, Bruno? If so, I am *very* impressed.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

Famousperson,
It's just me and my ol'e bud Chris Marlowe ... we go back a long way, all the way, in fact, to Tamburlaine. We parted ways somewhere after "The Devil is an Ass," but I quote him selfishly anyway in the faint hope that some of his brilliance is reflected back onto me.
:mrgreen:

-Bruno

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

I caught that, but he didn't know about motorcycles, did he? Vis a vis your other prose, if you are quoting some one it sounds more like Prisig.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

Aaaah, you mean Robert M. Pirsig? "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." I actually haven't read that book-- yet, but I have heard that it is a great one. I don't think I ripped him off, at least not knowingly. However, motorcycling does seem to engender its own continuity of philosophy (independence, freedom, nihilism, self awareness, to-be-is-to-do existentialism, etc.). I can write it to a degree as long as I don't go back and re-read it and make myself nauseous. It helps that I'm usually wearing motorcycle boots when it gets deep.

-Bruno

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Pirsig would like to write that well.

Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, polutropon, hos mala polla plagchthê, epei Troiês hieron ptoliethron epersen

Homer would nod

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

Doctor, Classical Greek ... now that is impressive. Man+ship+uncharted sea=adventure, but does man (or woman)+motorcycle+GPS or AAA map=adventure? You bet it does. We probably won't inspire or create any epic poetry, but we will have fun. The Siren's song is always being sung and I've had to lash myself to the mast on more than a few occassions.

-Bruno
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

bruno71 wrote:The Siren's song is always being sung and I've had to lash myself to the mast on more than a few occassions. -Bruno
and we always ride the fine line between Scylla and Charybdis.

Keep 'em coming, Bruno.

As Wayne and Garth would say, "Most Excellent!"

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates