power commander

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ratherberiding
Basic User

power commander

Post by ratherberiding »

Anybody have experience with installing a power commander? Is it worthwhile upgrade?Might do it along with an exhaust change.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: power commander

Post by boxermania »

ratherberiding

Well that depends.....is your bike running well? Is the bike surging? The Power Commander or the Techlusion are basically fuel nannies.....they piggy back on the fuel injectors and keep them open for a slightly longer time than the one defined by the ECU allowing a slight enrichening of the A/F mixture.

I installed the Techlusion and found the overall operation vastly improved.....stroger pull, crisper acceleration. Several others have installed similar systems, Brian/DKYSZ being one of them.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Byrdguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Byrdguy »

Ditto what BoxerM. said. I put one (Techlusion) on my 02 years ago to cure surging (after attempts to "tune" it out) and it cured the problem. I also installed a Remus system along with a high flow air filter and intake snorkel and performance was definitely improved. The bike runs great.
Lobo1625
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 611

Post by Lobo1625 »

My $.02

I have a Power Commander on my 02, along with a full Remus exhaust, K&N and cut down air snorkel. I must say, it's the best money I've spent on the bike. I also had it dyno-tuned from the place i bought it. They were running a special, $500 for a power commander, purchased, installed and dyno tuned. I kinda took them to the cleaners as the purchase price for the PC3 for our bikes is about $200 higher than the sport bikes they were used to working on. I did the install myself and brought the bike back to them for the tune. The differences between my bike and a stock r1150r are night and day! I've had the opportunity to switch back and forth between two nearly identical bikes to feel the differences. The wideband o2 monitoring increases around town drive ability, and on the highway i get at least 50mpg, even if I'm not completely conservative with the throttle. The Dyno-Tuning only affects the bike when it goes into closed-loop (full throttle) and was very noticeable on the dyno. From the time I dropped it off, to the 5 hours later when I picked it up, the bike was snappier, revved quicker and pulled harder than I thought possible. I don't have a dyno sheet to scan in, as the printer was broken, but next time I'm near a shop i'll put it up for a run. I do have a pre-PC3 dyno sheet though, so I do have a baseline.

With a home computer, you can view the map and even change it yourself with very little trouble, it can also calibrate the TPS for a full open and full close and can set your AFR (air/fuel ratio) wherever you'd like it.

It has not been all positives however, I have noticed that starting the bike is harder than before. I will have to hold down the button longer and sometimes give it a second go. I've read about others having the same issues, but it's a small price. I have never had a issue with the bike not starting though, but it does take longer than without. There also may be a firmware update for the PC, i haven't checked in quite a while.

My overall opinion is Very positive for the power commander.
"I may not know, but I'll figure it out"
Member #611

'02 R1150R
'63 Impala
'66 Tiger
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Lobo 1625

I had the Techlusion on mine along with the TBR cat eliminator and can along with the 3 degree advance and Autolite 3923 plugs, running 89 octane gas.

My dyno numbers were:

Stock - Just under 77 hp
TBR cat eliminator and can, 3 degree advance, Autolite plugs - 80 hp
Above plus Techlusion at factory settings - 84 hp

I had additional mods afterwards, as I removed the airbox and put independent UNO pods on the TB's. This was about a week prior to the Beakster Bash II in 05 and was running fairly lean at the top end. I had to mask 50% of the UNO filters to make the bash, the bike ran strong in the VA hills.

Post that trip I chose to change the 3 bar FPR on the R for the one on the next to last gen K bike at 3.5 bar. In addition to that I also tweaked the Techlusion as well and the bike had a completely new personality......she ran like a scolded cat and hit the limiter in no time in all of the first 5 gears.....never had the chance to take it back to the dyno as I left for an overseas assignment but seat of the pants told me that it was beyond the last dyno run and the plugs were right on.

IMO, the best set up for the boxer engine without going overboard would be the K bike FPR @ $36, a cat converter replacement and associated can with the stock filter. That combo would run like a top.......

What did you dial in with your set-up?
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Byrdguy
Basic User

Post by Byrdguy »

Mine dynoed at 84 HP after the mods also.
toolinalong
Double Lifer

Post by toolinalong »

check out this recent post as well.....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15046&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
"none.nada.thank you."
mcmarcia
Basic User

Post by mcmarcia »

I love my techlusion, I set it according to the recommendations for the 1150r about 10k miles ago and it curing the surging problem, can cruise at low RPMs, has great power at low, mid, high bands and I am running midgrade gas and getting up to 53 MPG, even touring (but using BMW speedo which reads about 4% higher than GPS). I have not tried tweaking it since the install, but am about to do my valves and tune up at 20K miles and may try some other settings.
04 BMW R1150RA
92 Yamaha Virago 1100
95 Yamaha Virago 750