GIVI rack mount for factory BMW system case brackets

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Biped
Basic User

GIVI rack mount for factory BMW system case brackets

Post by Biped »

I just installed a GIVI mono-key rack on my R1150R that uses brackets that mount to my existing BMW system case mounts. The top set of brackets mount in a straightforward way to the holes where the factory luggage rack normally attach. The GIVI system also uses a second set of brackets for support that mount behind the rear system case mounts, using the rear-most pair of bolts on each side. Has anyone used this system? Are the nuts that the rear system case mounting bolts thread into captive? If they aren't, then it looks like I would have to take the inner rear fender off to get to them, which may mean taking the rear wheel off, etc. Frankly, I was hoping for a simpler installation. For now, I have left off this second set of brackets. The whole thing, with a 36 liter GIVI case mounted, seems very sturdy. The top set of brackets are eighth-inch steel and infinitely more rigid than the plastic BMW luggage rack that used to be mounted in the same place. Any comments or advice about not using the second set of brackets? (These brackets are also ugly and partially block the taillight from certain angles on both sides.)
oiasghar
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: GIVI rack mount for factory BMW system case brackets

Post by oiasghar »

Biped,

I have the GIVI rack with the BMW side rails and you don't need to take anything off other than the bolts that hold the side rails to the bike at the back. The GIVI rack slides under it (underneath the plastic fender). The bolts that come with the GIVI rack mount are a bit longer I believe and you basically end up with BMW rail, plastic fender (opening) GIVI rack, bike frame. It is really simple.

I hope I didn't make it clear as mud!!!
2009 BMW F800ST
Biped
Basic User

Post by Biped »

oiasghar wrote:Biped,

I have the GIVI rack with the BMW side rails and you don't need to take anything off other than the bolts that hold the side rails to the bike at the back. The GIVI rack slides under it (underneath the plastic fender). The bolts that come with the GIVI rack mount are a bit longer I believe and you basically end up with BMW rail, plastic fender (opening) GIVI rack, bike frame. It is really simple.

The nuts that the side rail bolts thread into -- are they captive? The plastic inner fender hides them from view. I started to loosen the rear bolts and when I turned them counterclockwise, after about a half turn, they started to feel tighter rather than looser. I didn't keep going for concern that I might break the bolt or that a non-captive nut was rotating with it. I hate these simple jobs...
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Biped wrote:
oiasghar wrote:Biped,

The nuts that the side rail bolts thread into -- are they captive? The plastic inner fender hides them from view. I started to loosen the rear bolts and when I turned them counterclockwise, after about a half turn, they started to feel tighter rather than looser. I didn't keep going for concern that I might break the bolt or that a non-captive nut was rotating with it. I hate these simple jobs...
It's ok - remember BMW use thread lock virtually everywhere - just go slow, loosen 1/2 turn, then tighten 1/4 turn to get the bolts out.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Biped
Basic User

Post by Biped »

oiasghar, riceburner:

Thanks. oiasghar, your advice was spot on. riceburner, you were correct as well. The brackets are now installed correctly.