Tire recommendation(s)?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: Tire recommendation(s)?

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

these are my 880s at 10k miles. The first pair I had were at the wear bars at this age. Side lit so that might accentuate the depth of the tread, but you get the idea.

and the rear

'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

D.B. wrote:Are ContiForce tires still available?.... I've gotten really good milage from them..6,000 miles so far, and good tread left. These are touring tires, and not for the sport crowd..(the r1150r is a touring bike..isn't it?... :D ).

D.B.
I think that I saw some of them at Iron Pony(www.ironpony.com) They were pretty cheap.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Dr. Strangelove - you got pretty good service out of those 880s! I am getting ready to put another Z6 on the rear to replace the current one. This is the first time I have replaced a Z6 rear before those special Z6 wear indicators (called cords! :lol: ) have made an appearance. My usual mileage - 6,500 miles or so!

In the spring, when I will need both front a rear, I will try the Pilot Road 2s.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

...or by then you could try the new dual compound Z6 Interact. :twisted:
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

hey, Vann

yes I did get long service out of them and that makes it hard to switch away from them, but I am open to the idea.

Some further information about their performance---
In an earlier entry I mentioned that I felt the rear tire "skip" or skid a bit when doing a "heavy" downshift in NC last week. I also posted a thread about the engine check light and the abs light not extinguishing on my dash.
Turns out the fault was with the front sensor for the abs, so, and I may be wrong here, I think my abs might have been out of service when I felt the tire skip; so it may have been realted to my riding rather than the tire. It is nearly 1000 miles later and I still have usable tread.

John
lake_harley
Basic User

Post by lake_harley »

I finally got my new tires today. Metzler 880's were going to be unavailable for a few more weeks from the dealer's supplier so I ended up with Michelin Pilot Road 2's. I had a tough time trying to make a choice between the two brands since both had good recommendations, so availability took care of the problem. I ended up riding home in a light rain, about 30 miles, and even on wet, and sometime grooved and uneven road surfaces they felt really good. I'm not trying to sound like a tire evaluator, but so far I'm :biggrin:

Now I have a bigger issue though....I fell in love with a R1200RT while at the dealership today. My wife thought it was more comfy for her too than the R1150R. It just doesn't stop. Anyone know of a good 12-step program?

Thanks to all who have contributed to the tire choice discussion. I hope it helps someone else too. I think it certainly helped me make a more informed purchase.

Lynn
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

I just ordered a new Pirelli Strada from the Motorcycle Superstore. A 170/60ZR for the back for $130 delivered. Not too bad. I had a little ill forture with the old tire. Picked up a roofing nail someplace. Still considering plugging it as it only has 15,000 miles on it and there's a lot of tread left. Well, maybe I'll repair it and keep it for a spare.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Airman wrote:I Still considering plugging it as it only has 15,000 miles on it and there's a lot of tread left
15,000??? on a diablo strada???

typo, huh?

John
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

as it only has 15,000 miles on it and there's a lot of tread left
I agree with Dr. - surely a typo! Thats over twice what I got out of two sets of Stratas!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

wncbmw wrote:
as it only has 15,000 miles on it and there's a lot of tread left
I agree with Dr. - surely a typo! Thats over twice what I got out of two sets of Stratas!
I'll drop a picture of the offending tire here tomorrow. One of the reasons why I ordered another Strada was because it did give good mileage, and the fact that they seem ot resist the usual flattening that occurs when you use the freeway a lot like I do. The ME-Z3 that came before the Pirelli gave me 13.8k, but it got a little unpleasant towards the end because the rear squared off a lot and made turn-ins a little weird. It still had a little life in it, but after I got it off I realized it was pretty thin in the middle of the tread.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
blovebaiku
Basic User

Post by blovebaiku »

I have a 2002 that just passed 12k miles. The BMW dealer recommended Metzlers (Z6) and I have been very pleased since they were installed. The prior owner had mixed tire brands front to rear and I could swear the bike felt funny on turns as I leaned into turns...not sure if the mismatch was it but that feeling is gone.

This dealer service dept manager had a 1150R w/ 86k miles on it before switching to an RT and swore by the Metzlers.

I love 'em!

=D>
Blovebaiku
First Love: Yamaha Radian 600
Current Love : BMW R1150R
rich_mc
Basic User

Post by rich_mc »

I use my R1150R more like a short man's GS....The Z6's work, but am curious if anyone has:

1. Tried the 120/70-17 Front and 150/70-17 Avon Distanzia?? EDIT - never mind on this one - i found the search feature [-X

2. Tried the 130/80-17 tubeless or 120/90-17 tubed on the front and the 150/70-17 Continental TKC-80?

Thanks,
Rich
oiasghar
Basic User

Post by oiasghar »

Continental Road Attacks. These pictures are after 9600 total miles. This includes mostly commuting. A trip (1 up) to Florida in June including return leg of 800 miles in one day in 100F temperatures. The last trip about 4 weeks back was a 1,200 mile, two day trip (1 up) to Arkansas. I am running 34 psi (F) and 38 psi (Solo back) or 42 psi (2 up back)

Back tire:

Front tire:

I am tempted to try the Bridgestone BT021 since the back is a dual compound but not sure if I want to move away from the RoadAttacks. The Ducati has the RoadAttacks as well and I really like them for year round riding; hot, cold, rain, snow and all (yes it snows in Texas about a day each year) besides they are the least expensive most of the time.
2009 BMW F800ST
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

rich_mc wrote:I use my R1150R more like a short man's GS....The Z6's work, but am curious if anyone has:

1. Tried the 120/70-17 Front and 150/70-17 Avon Distanzia?? EDIT - never mind on this one - i found the search feature [-X
Kevin50R had a distanzia on the rear at one point in time.
oiasghar wrote: I am tempted to try the Bridgestone BT021 since the back is a dual compound but not sure if I want to move away from the RoadAttacks. The Ducati has the RoadAttacks as well and I really like them for year round riding; hot, cold, rain, snow and all (yes it snows in Texas about a day each year) besides they are the least expensive most of the time.
I had/have the Bridgestone BT021 and my front tire had almost no tread left at about 5500 miles.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
philbytx
Basic User

Post by philbytx »

FYI - For the R1150R, Conti recommends 36/37F and 39R on Conti RoadAttacks.
Phil C.
2003 R1150RT "DaRTh"
2000 R1100R "LeRoy
oiasghar
Basic User

Post by oiasghar »

philbytx wrote:FYI - For the R1150R, Conti recommends 36/37F and 39R on Conti RoadAttacks.
Thank you. I was not aware of that.
Biff's R wrote:I had/have the Bridgestone BT021 and my front tire had almost no tread left at about 5500 miles.
Thank you. Looks like I will be sticking with the Conti RA or may now try the Roadsmart :biggrin:
2009 BMW F800ST
marine dad
Basic User

Post by marine dad »

i used the search feature and read all i could find pertaining to distanzia's.
did anyone ever run them long enough to get an idea on how long they would last?
thanks
mike
marine dad
Basic User

Post by marine dad »

guys,
i just realized that when i ordered my front tire yesterday i had a total brain lapse and ordered a 120/60 17 instead of a 120/70 17. will it be ok to run the 120/60 17? thanks,
mike
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

You are lowering the front almost an inch with the lower profile tire. That will have some effect on straight line stability feel, turn-in, rake and trail, and weight on the front but I cannot do the math to quantify that. Overall that will change the way the bike tracks through turns and holds a line. Better or worse? No experience.

BUT, Ducati riders and some mid-sized UJM have gone the other way - from 120/60 to 120/70 profile. They report liking the positive aspects of the switch.

Depending on where you ordered, a Sunday order won't likely be processed until today or tomorrow. Call, intercept the order, and make the verbal change before shipping occurs. I have done that once or twice with very nice and cooperative tire sales stores online.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
marine dad
Basic User

Post by marine dad »

thanks, i'll call em this a.m.