A Wrenching question

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

davidh8462
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

A Wrenching question

Post by davidh8462 »

This is my second oil change on my 1150R. The first change went smoothly, second change ....I can't get the oil filter wrench to turn the filter...the oil filter socket turns but the filter won't budge
I am using the 76mm oil wrench filter end cap wrench that I got from the boneyard..How can this be, I only used the wrench once...Any thoughs or ideas would be appreciated
Silver 04 R1150R
RGuy
Basic User

Re: A Wrenching question

Post by RGuy »

Has the wrench rounded off the end of the filter? What brand of filter? Some of the cheaper filters have thinner metals that are prone to that particular problem. Options are not pretty. If you can get a strap wrench on it that would be best. As an absolute last resort, there is the dreaded "ram a screwdriver thru it and twist it loose" option. Maybe you can find someone that has a BMW wrench - it might fit better. I think the Boneyard wrench is stamped. They usually work well.....

When installing the new filter make sure to put a smear of oil on the gasket and careful not to overtighten.

Neal
'81 R65
'04 R1150R
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

davidh8462

+1 with RGuy

Assuming you have a BMW filter the question is if you have th right tool. Do you have the tool with the same number of flats as the filter? If so, you must not have had it all the way in and rounded the filter.......or you tightened it too much the first time.

You refer to the tool as being aquired at the boneyard, is that the BMW Boneyard? Common spin on filter tools have a diferent number of flats than the BMW....if everything is lost use the screwdriver technique, albeit is going to make a mess of the floor.

Good luck.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
davidh8462
Basic User

Post by davidh8462 »

The oil filter is the Bosch 72161 that I bought from the BMW boneyard. The wrench came with the kit in which I got 6 filters for a fairly good price. The wrench was recomended in the clymer manual so though this would be a good deal at a good price and save a few bucks on oil changes I didn't tightened it anymore that 1/4 to 1/2 turn after I hand tighten the filter and I rub oil of the rubber gasget. Went to

I am dreading puncturing with a screwdriver as suggested, I think I will try the band wrench first they weigh my options.
Silver 04 R1150R
klentz
Basic User

Post by klentz »

Try using a small engine ring compressor Always worked for me
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

If you go the screwdriver route, start by punching a hole in the bottom of the filter and drain the oil into a suitable size container. This will minimise "the mess" of using the screwdriver. The screwdriver will get it out for sure. Just review your material and technique before installing the replacement. Good luck. :smt023
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

I have taken heavy duty wire cutters, and bent several small chevrons on the wrench, like this: <with the point towards the inside. Then gently pounded the wrench onto the filter. It gripped great, and I didn't have to use the screwdriver method, but it may render the wrench useless as it may not come off the filter. That was fine with me, because I switched to K&N filters.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
davidh8462
Basic User

Post by davidh8462 »

Thanks to all who comment, it has been helpful. I think, will try to borrow a bmw filter wrench, if that doesn't work, I will look for a small ring compressor, and finally its the screwdriver method. I like the idea of punching a whole in the bottom if I have to go that route. Thanks again and I will let all know the final outcome.

--Dave
Silver 04 R1150R
ebincia
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ebincia »

First make sure you are turning the wrenck counter-clockwise.
Then try this… it will most likely work.

1. Drill two (small) holes through the filter wrench. 2. Put the wrench on the filter. 3. Run two sheet metal screws through the holes in the filter wrench and fasten it to the filter. 4. Turn the wrench counter clockwise.

Hope this helps.
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

ebincia wrote:First make sure you are turning the wrenck counter-clockwise.
Then try this… it will most likely work.

1. Drill two (small) holes through the filter wrench. 2. Put the wrench on the filter. 3. Run two sheet metal screws through the holes in the filter wrench and fasten it to the filter. 4. Turn the wrench counter clockwise.

Hope this helps.
+10 :D but empty the filter first.
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
davidh8462
Basic User

Post by davidh8462 »

ebincia/snowprick
Thanks for the extra details on removing the filter. I am assuming to drill the holes in the filter wrench so that I can attach the wrench to the bottom of the filter. Thanks again for the great idea.

-Dave
Silver 04 R1150R
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

davidh8462,

This prolly all happened because the filter wrench initially was not fully inserted over the oil filter. That can happen with a wrench with too large of an outer rim on the wrench O.D.
There's still time. Check to see that your wrench is small enough to fit in the engine's Aluminum tunnel. Visually align the (76mm x 14 flutes) filter wrench's flats with those on the oil filter, then hammer it on with a VERY heavy object like the side of a 8 pound sledgehammer. 3 or 4 slow, forceful, perfectly vertical upward collisions should do it. If using an average sized hammer, put a piece of wood between the 2 steel parts so you do not damage the filter wrench, because a lighter "hammer" will require many more hammer blows to do the same work.
If you are too challenged to complete this job, find a friend, or call one, that has patience and a lot of experience with tools.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Dale_K
Basic User

Post by Dale_K »

I've used a couple sheets of newspaper layed flat into the oil filter wrench and then push it onto the filter. The paper takes up a little of the looseness and seems to grab the filter a little better. Worked for me.
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

davidh8462 wrote:The oil filter is the Bosch 72161 that I bought from the BMW boneyard. The wrench came with the kit in which I got 6 filters for a fairly good price. The wrench was recomended in the clymer manual so though this would be a good deal at a good price and save a few bucks on oil changes I didn't tightened it anymore that 1/4 to 1/2 turn after I hand tighten the filter and I rub oil of the rubber gasget. Went to

I am dreading puncturing with a screwdriver as suggested, I think I will try the band wrench first they weigh my options.
I have the Bosch 72161 as well as the Purolator and BMW filters in the house right now. My wrench is a Hazlet 2169 made in W.Germany that I got in a box of stuff from Pat Williams. I don't know if this is the BMW filter wrench or not, but it also has 11 4 650 stamped on the outer surface, so it may be. This wrench fits tight on the BMW filter, but somewhat looser on the other two. Since I had trouble with my first Schucks plastic filter wrench, I tend to agree that your wrench may have not fitted far enough up into the opening. If that's the case, take a little off the O.D. of the wrench and it will work better. The Schucks wrench in addition to being too large in diameter, had a different number of flats inside. Didn't work well.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
bimrluvr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 429

Post by bimrluvr »

Also could have tried placing a small coin between the filter wrench and the filter side wall. That should create enough grab to get the filter off.
#429 (in for life)
'06 Silver R1200RT
'04 Titan Silver R50R (3/05-9/10 was a good friend - RIP)
Ron John
Basic User

Post by Ron John »

I had the same problem, the filter was rounded off and the wrench would not grab it. Went to Auto Zone and for about 6-7 bucks got a wrench with 3 tongs on it that tighten when turned counterclockwise. It worked great.
Good luck