Finally !!

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Finally !!

Post by CycleRob »

I got it!!! Gorgeous color. Nice deep exhaust note that IS loud for a BMW. Very smooth virtually vibration free engine up to 80MPH (4,800 revs). Nothing in the pegs, bars or seat. Very light engine flywheels allow instantaneous RPM increase/decrease like that of a dragster. Hitting the throttle quick in neutral you'll see/hear 1,200 idle go up to 4,500 and back down to an idle in just under ONE SECOND! Throttle response at any RPM over 2,000 is so lively in the lower gears it seems bigger than 798cc's. Very small throttle openings do so much. The bike's light weight has a lot to do with it. Engine braking is strong. Shifting is nothing more than lightweight snicking between gears. Shifting sensation is that of moving small parts, rather than the big clunky parts of the OilHeads. Neutral is always so easy to find. Shifting up/down w/o the clutch very easy. The rear wheel spins near friction free like there's nothing attached to it.
Wow, what an upgrade in technology. Bar type fuel gauge, large LCD gear indicator, 2 trip meters, bar type engine temp gauge, auto canceling turn signals, lap timer, flashing shift light, and the 5 functions of the (optional) OnBoardComputer (OBC):
-Outside air temp
-Range (miles to empty)
-Average MPG
-Instantaneous MPG (fun-fun-fun!)
-Average speed
The "info" button on the top left switchgear pod toggles thru each parameter.

I did make one mistake in what I passed on earlier . . . . the Warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles NOT 2yr/24K.

The tech put 10 miles on it like he said he would (averaging 49MPG indicated), then I ran it up to 73miles for the 48 mile trip home. About 12 miles out I stopped and shut it off to install the Zumo450 on the handlebar, it's final resting place. Called Ann and told her to plan on supper at 8PM the latest. I was lost and further North than I should be, so it helped me find home on it's battery power mode. Wednesday I install the 12V cig lighter socket to power/charge it. LED Voltmeter, horn #2 and accessory terminal power strip may also go on. It's on a charger now to top off the new battery. I used the rear brake once the whole trip. It works. Most of the time the engine slowed me down while the actual decelerating MPG shows 199. What an education it was seeing the readout change with different gears and throttle settings.

BTW, I also got close-up pics of an OilHead motor completely apart because the right cylinder connecting rod blew. The big end rod bearing was a scored mess! It's engine oil leaked on the table was actually BLACK. DUH!! Another tech's lift had a boxer transmission apart. Not a good way to start the riding season.

I took 42 pics (post some soon) from the cardboard crate on the loading dock all the way to ready to go. What a sweet ride!

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Re: Finally !!

Post by iowabeakster »

Congrats...HAVE FUN!
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
bobw
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by bobw »

It's good to hear the excitement in your words. Looking forward to you and the other 800 riders here posting a few more observations. I like the bike, but haven't read enough owner threads to be that familiar with them.

Congrats and may she take you many safe miles!

Cheers

Bob
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Wednesday (6/10) I invested nearly 2 hours to install the 12V cigarette lighter socket to power/charge the GPS. Where to put it. Cut/grind/trim it's plastic bracket to fit the tight limited space I chose to install it. Running the wires to the terminal strip and the city lite actuated relay that powers that. Power socket is facing down inside the left fairing support frame, just forward of the intake snorkel opening, shielded from view and the weather. Easy to plug in, easy to remove the whole GPS + cord, easy to store the excess power cord and it's close to the Zumo. Modesty aside, it's some of my best work. The 3 color LED Voltmeter, horn #2 (from an R6) and an auto reset circuit breaker mated to an accessory terminal power strip are also in the process of going on, mounted in the airbox top's square depression. The plan was to do the installs in the AM then ride till dark. It started raining a few hours from the start, so I took more of the bike apart and dove in deep. Then the sun came out. Being all apart, I blew off the ride and kept on working till well after dark. A perfect fit and seamless reversible integration are a must, doing it quickly not even an option. All the install pics to follow in separate posts when completed.

The headlite quick dip adjust lever surrounding the up/down adjuster is amazing! Flip it down and both headlites tilt down to quickly compensate the nitetime beam aiming for the passenger weight. There is NO fuel filter in the system to change, same as wife Ann's 2004 Honda Civic. Subtle valve gear noise is typical of 8 valve end pivot rockerarm DOHC setups and much quieter than Suzuki Katana's that have the same design layout.

Thank you BMWMA.COM for including me in the bikes build. What a lasting memorable experience. Riding away yesterday from the dealer and for the rest of the way home I had a Mona Lisa full facial grin, even after dropping nearly 12 grand on the new machine under me. What a bike!
`09 F800ST

combustor777
Basic User

Post by combustor777 »

PICS?!? :?: :?:
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Here are the day-1 pics in order:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-50.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-51.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-01.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-03.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-08.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-09.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-11.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-15.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-16.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-17.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-18.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-19.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-22.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-20.jpg
My favorite one:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... ay1-21.jpg

This morning I went back to working on adding the 12V car type power socket and my precious little 3 color LED Voltmeter. Body panels and headlite assy came off to fit the LED-VM in a very tight spot, a pocket just as big as IT is, where it's sheltered, discrete, very hard to install but right in my line of sight just below the tach. To the untrained eye with it's matching black plastic housing it looks like BMW put it there. THAT took over 2 hours to form/bend the bracket, find the right spacers, locate/drill the mounting hole in the headlite housing and run the wires. More wire guiding bracket finds and zipties for the connecting wires so there will be zero problems for many years -and- serviceability (valve adj, sparkplug) operations will not be harmed by long captive wires in the way. Tomorrow a visit to the "Shack" for two 1000V, 1A isolation diodes for the horn and key-on accessory power relays, then it all gets crimped and soldered together. Good thing it rained really hard while I was at this.

My 2nd ride on this wonderful bike came before 8pm when it was still light out. The roads were dry now. I headed NW then E then SW in a giant 76.8 mile loop. All secondary state and back country roads. As a 62 year old mechanic with about 50 years dirty hands on "experience" with 4 stroke engines this motor speaks to me in ways that so far have been rare for a M/C. The BMS-K engine computer controlling this DOHC twin had to have gone thru a lengthy BETA testing program by some really smart people with the focus on responsive efficiency. I sense in the throttle, in the sound, in the immediate response, a hyperactive part throttle ignition advance curve that causes the tiniest throttle opening to make usable power. It's uncanny and perceived as highly refined compared to my now gone OilHead. Finally, something more than just a crude rpm dependent advance curve. IMEO that advance curve, 12:1 compression ratio, precise EFI and belt drive is why the bike's fuel economy is so unusually high. My current average for this tank says 59 on the OBC display. The fuel injection is perfect, right from the time it starts from cold, after a 1 second starter button push. No throttle necessary. No fast idle lever. The fast idle isn't that fast ~1,600 and it settles down to a smooth 1,200 idle in about 8 seconds with a cold engine in 77degF ambient. The exhaust's deep, barely muffled sound has me doubting BMW made it's big satin finished SS muffler. It's about as pleasant as a stock exhaust can be. Even on the open road, I can hear it over the wind. That refined, responsive engine tuning is the reason riding the 09 F800ST is so rewarding. Normal point A to point B travel is full of satisfaction with the throttle, engine and gearbox doing exactly what & when you want it to. It was after 10pm when I got home, blipping/downshifting on the downhill roadway to my driveway just to hear the flawless music. The grin persists.

`09 F800ST

bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

Great to see how happy she makes you. I would love to hear how she handles after you get to know each other better.

Safe travels and Cheers!

Bob
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

Nice looking ride! Congratulations!

Some questions:

Are you going to paint this one gold or another custom color (not that it needs it, looks awesome as is)?
Speaking of which, what will happen to Goldboxer? Will someone in the Atlanta area have a chance at buying the best maintained R1150R on the planet?
12:1 compression ratio: any chance of regular fuel going in the tank?

Glad you're happy with the new ride.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

jfslater98,

Color stays the same because
1--It isn't another red bike.
2--It is gorgeous.
3--I really like it!!

GoldBoxer was traded in. Since experiencing the quantum leap in technology, efficiency and responsiveness of the F800ST, I forgot all about it. After I complete installing the 3 color LED voltmeter, GPS 12V power socket and Givi E260N tail trunk a set of BarBacks and front fork GoldValves will be the final add-ons. Then cold weather comes, when 2 Widder vest power sockets will need to be added.

Funny thing is that the F800 series needs less than ½ the (dealer?) servicing of the old bike. That saving makes up for FD Belt replacement "recommended" every 24K miles, even though they can go over twice that. There is no separate transmission oil or FD oil. Essentially just 6K mile engine oil & filter changes. Even though the every 12K mile valve clearance check is doable, the camshaft removal required valve adjustment is too difficult for some riders and "dealer only" for most of the rest.

12:1 compression ratio: any chance of regular fuel going in the tank?
It can run on Regular and I will if there's no pinging. The 12:1 compression used to mean Premium fuel only, but the latest high turbulence combustion chamber designs and engine management systems can use Regular with some reduction in performance.

`09 F800ST

combustor777
Basic User

Post by combustor777 »

Thanks for the update! Must have felt good seeing it come out of the crate =D>
sabertooth

Post by sabertooth »

Great bike pics!
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

Now, that is a nice looking machine!!!!!!
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
oiasghar
Basic User

Post by oiasghar »

Congratulations! Did you really not get the rear fender? Mine was not on it when it was parked at the dealership and I insisted that they find it. I was told that they normally don't install it and just throw them away. They found mine or one for me and my wife picked it up a day later while I was at work. Makes a world of difference on how much spray is kicked up in the back.

My first tank was 49mpg. I am now up to 54mpg in stop and go traffic at 1,700 miles on it. Just finished putting the Venture Shield clear film on the bike. $145 from Sierra Invisible Shield in Reno Nevada.

By the way, I was told by my dealer that the valve adjustment is either 18K or 24K which ever one I would prefer. I think the f800riders.org site has the PDF version of the service schedules listed online. They still refer to the onboard computer telling the diagnostic software when the valves and plugs need checking but according to my dealer that functionality was never implemented.
2009 BMW F800ST
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Nice job Rob! =D>
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

"They still refer to the onboard computer telling the diagnostic software when the valves and plugs need checking but according to my dealer that functionality was never implemented."

Gee, I was wondering why, at 654 miles, I have not yet seen the "Service" reminder in the LCD display.
BTW the red shift lite exactly at redline is really BRIGHT!!! You see it in your peripheral vision whether you like it or not! It's the white lens center bottom of the tach.

Yes, I got my fender. Sitting at the front desk signing the papers, the tech came in with the fender -and- seeing the chopped fender on the R1150R I traded in, asked if I wanted it installed. I said "No, but I'll take it". He gave me the 3 screws + 1 nut that mount it too. WOW is that thing huge! I do not rain ride so it's not needed. At the most I'll cut it at the V channel and mount it -or- sell it brand new clean in BuySellTrade.

My TankSlapper 3 panel clear protective film was <$20 and it's invisible.

`09 F800ST

Zinger
Basic User

Post by Zinger »

Your bike is really nice Rob. You just about have me flipped over from wanting the 1200R to wanting an 800ST! I think the reliability and cheaper maintenance is slowly turning me over more than anything.
Last edited by Zinger on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.StoveNet.com - The Global Stove and Hearth Forum
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Zinger,

The R1200R was the best next step for me too and I liked everything mechanical about it, but the actual huge price difference made me sick, forcing me to step back and breathe into a paper bag for about 2 minutes. My savings account could handle it, but eventually, I'd have to look in the mirror. #-o Then the FD failures hit them too. Routinely experiencing borderline overheating and the 1150R's big curb weight both wore me down. When the belt drive water cooled DOHC F800ST appeared I was only curious. I went to the Atlanta dealer's bi-annual open house to ride an R1200R but there was none there. I looked over the FG800ST closely and spoke with the Techs about it. That's when I decided to try the blue F800ST they had. I was immediately pleased and went off the route he told me to take to find some curves and open road. The smoothness of everything was pretty nice. It sure was lightweight. The instantaneous, big engine response surprised me. Only the choppy ride characteristic of a much lighter bike with stiff new suspension and it's lower than I wanted handlebars were unimpressive. I sat down to talk trade-in dollars, the bottom line and right then and there placed the special non-ABS order. Then I signed the papers. I had no intention of buying a new bike that day, but I just knew it was time to move and that bike was it.

Now, every time I hit the starter button it starts and runs immediately at a perfect steady idle, it's already paying me back. I stand rearward by the exhaust as I put my helmet on just to hear the deep, big engine symphony. No more loud gnashing starter or sewing machine sounds for me.

Last edited by CycleRob on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

And what a bike it is! :D
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F