The Great Lighting Thrash

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

macx
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

The Great Lighting Thrash

Post by macx »

Gonna light up my little corner of the world - at least the corner where my bike happens to be.

Got the HyperLites rear running / flashing brake lites. Just now got them installed, they actually work (!)
At my age with the poor eyesight and sweat running down my glasses, and my trembling fingers, that's not
always a slam dunk! :(

I just got the 8 LED modules, maybe shoulda got the 16 LED modules. They're bright, OK, but they're small.
Course, was looking at them in the daylight, but still - Wonder how it would work to super glue just a flat piece
of colored plastic over them, to make kind of like a lens, just to make the "bright spot" larger?

But I've got them now, AIN'T gonna take that mess apart again!!

For the front, got some LED driving lights coming, one of the headlite relay kits and a Hella H4 xenon bulb.
That's besides the amber HyperLites running lights.

And a couple of handlebar mount rocker switches, one to independently control the driving lights, the other to
interrupt the power to the headlight relay (all inside the headlite shell) so I can turn off the headlight while cranking
the motor. Same place the headlite relay came from, black plastic with red rocker switch, 3/4" wide, have to mount
them a little farther in than I'd like, probly after the first bend in from the handgrips, but it isn't like I'll be having to
go to them all that often, esp the one for shutting off the headlight while starting.

For the crowning touch, I've got 32-LED bulbs for the turn signals, front and rear. Leaving the amber lenses
on, got clear bulbs. Figured the "bright spot" would be larger with the entire amber lens lit up rather than having
a clear lens and mostly just the bulb the real bright spot. Less costly that way, anyway, no lenses to buy. Of course,
then also had to get those resistors to make the low-power-consumption bulbs work with the bike's electrical system.

They say to not mount them to anything plastic - easier said than done! Finally found a spot where I can hang a
small sheet metal panel from the frame behind the left trim cover - plenty of room between the trim and the frame at
that point, and nothing within several inches of that spot that should suffer from some heat.

Good thing I enjoy working with tiny wires in tight places! #-o

Gonna wait till my relay kit and headlight bulb comes before I take everything apart, then do the front end
and the resistors for both front & rear signals all at once.

Even trying to do a good job but be a little careful with the spending, it STILL adds up! Not that far south of
$300 all told. And that's using the stock lenses - the clear ones are kind of spendy of course.

But I'll feel at least a little safer when I have to drive in traffic.

Hmmm, I suppose I should get a nice loud horn (and another relay kit for it, I suppose!) too.

Tell me the truth, does it ever end? 8-[
popsnicker
Basic User

Re: The Great Lighting Thrash

Post by popsnicker »

Pics?
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

Tell me the truth, does it ever end? 8-[

NO ;)
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
macx
Basic User

Post by macx »

popsnicker wrote:Pics?
Haven't done anything yet except the HyperLites on the rear. Did it in a hurry this morning when I couldn't sleep.
(I work nites, 11 hrs, 7 days a week, so time is precious to say the least)

I'm still waiting on my relay kit and headlite bulb.

I'll try and do a write-up & pics step by step as I do all this stuff.

Good idea.

Oh, and while the tank is off, the "requisite" fuel disconnect fix will get done, too, complete with
total hose and clamp replacement. And a new tall windshield will be the last thing for this session.

I'd like to do the external fuel filter thing while I'm at it, but do want to ride the bike again
this summer. There's a limit to how much I can tackle with so little time to work on it.

The external fuel filter, the RTP trans, the brass FD pivot bushings,the different ratio final drive
(off a K1200 LT with larger rear brake disc and 4 piston caliper if it all fits - already know an LT
rear wheel will have to be part of it, too, cuz the brake mounting bosses on my r wheel most likely
won't clear the hub mounted K brake disc & ABS ring), will all happen this winter.

That'll mean another very major disassembly and reassembly. Hopefully by far the
biggest one I'll ever have to do on this bike!

Still considering a techlusion, but don't know if the bang for the buck is really worth it for the
kind of driving I do. I think I'd rather spend that money on a comfy seat!

Cheers
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Hey, that's my work schedule! I thought I was the only superhero on this board.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

So do you think the LED driving lights will put out a lot of light ? Are they expensive ? Aerostich has a set in their catalog, but they're not inexpensive of course. I've never seen a review on the type, and it used to be that an LED would nowhere match the power of a halogen light.
New technology ?
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
macx
Basic User

Post by macx »

No, I don't really expect they'll add a lot of light to drive by,
more for the visibility factor. And they're inexpensive, not
like some of the well-over-$100 "real" driving lights available.

And being LED, they're very low power draw, so I should do
just fine tapping the power for them off the battery-direct
power source in that headlite relay system.

I'm a little leery of working that alternator too hard, although
I don't have much of anything drawing power, just the Hyperlites
front and rear, these driving lites (also LED as I mentioned), over
and above the stock electrical load which isn't that much on these
rr bikes compared to some of the super-cruisers out there.

Of course the ad makes them look quite bright, but we'll see.

I'm trying to strike a balance between good visibility and retiring
as early as possible 8-[ I'm already 62 and am working as many
or more hours now as I ever have. But that won't last forever, so
am trying to "judiciously" equip my bike without just throwing
bushels of money at it. Trying to save a little for a few cold
ones while I'm sitting watching the grass grow :doubt:
macx
Basic User

Post by macx »

iowabeakster wrote:
Hey, that's my work schedule! I thought I was the only superhero on this board.
Forgot to mention, that's usually the minimum. Today was 4:15pm to 4:45am.

Like I told a friend at work, where else can you get to stay up all night and not have to get up early to go to
work the next morning!!

Or like a friend of mine says, Where else can you have this much fun and not have to pay for it?!

Yeah.

Course when I was younger, I would have wrestled anyone for those hours! (5:00am to 7:00pm for 7 days, plus
8:00pm till midnite or 1:00am 4 nites every week. And literally on a near-dead-run most of the time.) But now the old bod just won't do that any more. Heck, OTR trucking with 2 log books (before electronic log books) was a piece of cake by comparison. But the old fuse, she's gettin short!

If I'd have know I was gonna live this long, I'd taken a HECK of a lot better care of myself! :cry:
toolinalong
Double Lifer

Post by toolinalong »

um yes, they do seem to be making some progress in this area.

http://www.vari-lite.com/index.php?src= ... f=VLX_Info

I'm trying to find a place to mount this bad boy, but first I have to get my 120v source going, and then I have to rob a bank to get the $10k or so that one costs.

Good news is I think I will only need one.
"none.nada.thank you."
macx
Basic User

Post by macx »

Yes, I've done a little reading on LED development over hte past 3 or 4 years, and they're
making major strides regularly in developing brighter lights and lowering mass production costs.

In fact, isn't Europe outlawing incandescent lites here fairly soon? I think some of the US states
are moving along those lines, too, esp CA of course. They've had their share of (self induced)
lighting problems / power shortages lately. For now, the fluorescent lites are the least costly
alternatiave to incandescent, but I believe I've read some cities are looking into LED's for their
street lights, etc, cuz of the low operting cost and long life.

And from what I've read, Phillips is in the forefront of developing all this.