Tank Bag of Choice

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

mistral
Basic User

Tank Bag of Choice

Post by mistral »

New R1200R owner, and I am looking for the best tank bag. My bike does not have the bolts on the gas cap rim like my RT does so that is restricting my options. So I am looking for some wisdom here on the best choice.

Thanks,

Ron
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Re: Tank Bag of Choice

Post by celticus »

I have been very happy for 3 years with the one BMW makes for our bike.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

I'm using an RKA bag at the moment, the umm.. I think 21L Shiloh model.

I've tried others. Had the official BMW bag, and didn't bond with it due to the black-hole design. No dividers, no cute-clips(tm) to hold things.. sorta dump everything in there and rummage when you need something. I tend to be a disorganized person with "stuff" - so I need help, the BMW bag was no help. Strangely - it also conflicted with the BMW Navigator-III mounted with the BMW R1200R GPS mount. Seems no one tried putting both on at the same time.

I've seen some hard-shell bags that are starting to appeal to me.. will be looking them over at the NYC moto show in January.. Sargent has a bag that looks good, haven't played with it in person, but looks like it has a lot of dividers, cute-clips(tm), etc.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Seamus
Basic User

Post by Seamus »

I have the Bags Connection 'Quick Lock' City bag from SW Motech . They do a ring adaptor for the RR which replaces the existing fuel tank ring (although someone on here has modified one from a different model I think). Not cheap admittedly but sits off the tank and goes on and off in the blink of an eye. It has two side pockets and one at the rear near the rider. I use my bike every day and I really rate it but, as I say, not cheap.

Sean
Black
Seamus
Basic User

Post by Seamus »

Here's a picture of mine in action. The map holder is detachable but does not come with the bag.

Sean
Black
Northernbiker
Basic User

Post by Northernbiker »

I went with a 11 litre 'Shiloh Road' tankbag from RKA and have been very happy with it. The standard BMW bag just looked a bit too big in my opinion. Utlimately it depends how much stuff you want to put in it. Mine is perfect for a bottle of water, sunglasses, gloves, small lunch for day trips etc. So far I have not expanded it for extra storage. The only minus to this one is the top of the map pocket is reflective rather than non-reflective, but I've not noticed any problems because of this.

Chris
2008 R1200R Crystal Gray Metallic

'Ride it like you stole it!'
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

The Hardshell System Tank Bag is on my Christmas list.
Bill
dumfounded
Lifer

Post by dumfounded »

+1 on the Bags Connection setup. I had this on my R12RT and liked the fact it could be easily removed for fill-ups. Another advantage is you can get a small city bag and a larger touring bag and interchange as needed without changing the base.
patrick
'10 r1200r
9Schwein
Lifer

Post by 9Schwein »

Seamus wrote:I have the Bags Connection 'Quick Lock' City bag from SW Motech .
Seamus, does the City bag make any contact with the tank at all, say even over hard bumps? Also, how bad does the ring connector look when the bag isn't attached? I like the Quick-Lock concept, but these are the questions that keep me from going for it.
Ned
2007 R1200R Black
2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600
RougePivoine
Basic User

Post by RougePivoine »

+1 on the Bags Connection system. I had the 'Engage' bag on my R1150R and was very happy with that so wanted it on my R1200R as well. The bag touched the tank though and left some marks, so changed it for a 'Daypack' which doesn't touch any longer. Did 18,000km with it - very happy with it:) . Quick off and on, and looks good!

Their website shows the ring - http://shop.sw-motech.com (look under tankrings)
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

I initially thought the connection to the tank looked flimsy, but the only person I've ever heard of breaking one is Joe Finn (Chitown), an you know what kind of abuse he doles out to his machinery... :roll:

Maybe I'll ask Santess for one!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Seamus
Basic User

Post by Seamus »

9Schwein, the only part of the bag that touches the tank is the lower rear curve that matches it's contour. Over time the material sags and with weight in the bag it is in permanent contact. That said, most tank bags have a much larger contact area with the tank. There are some marks at that point of contact but they are only noticeable on inspection and would easily rub out (T-Cut?). Other than that it's very stable.

The ring looks ok (not brilliant but ok). I don't even notice it now anyway.

Hope this helps

Sean
Black
9Schwein
Lifer

Post by 9Schwein »

Sean, Thanks, that definitely helps. The magnetic tankbag I'm using now leaves fine scratches that buff out, but I was hoping the Bags Connection system could solve that. Sounds like the Daypack model might be the way to go, and it looks big enough for me. I guess I'd have to get used to the ring too since I usually ride without a tankbag.

Ned
Ned
2007 R1200R Black
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

My friend Bill has the RKA Shiloh 19 liter bag on his Roadster and it works very well. I hope to get one after the Christmas spending spree...
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

I've been quite happy with my Joe Rocket Manta XL tank bag. It fits the lines of the bike well.

Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
dumfounded
Lifer

Post by dumfounded »

9Schwein wrote:The magnetic tankbag I'm using now leaves fine scratches that buff out,
Paint protection film will solve that problem- the scratches will still appear, but they'll be on the film instead of your paint! When the mood hits you, just peel off the old film and apply new. It's available in bulk- I can't remember where I got mine but it's 3M and a quick google search offers this: http://www.invisiblemask.com/bulkfilm.html. I've used it for a variety of uses- magnetic antennas, points where straps or bungees rub, etc...
patrick
'10 r1200r
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

+1 on paint protection film. There is some made that sticks by cling - doesn't use an adhesive. That kind can be removed and reapplied as many times as you want. I used the stuff with adhesive under the tank bag (had some kicking around) and cut it so the edges line up with the stripes on my tank. It isn't terribly noticeable that way. I used some of the cling stuff on the side panels where the little bungies I used to hold my FreedomAir cushion (in the summer) and my heated butt pad (winter) touch the paint. Both work well..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
gezerbike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 775

Post by gezerbike »

I am one of those who feel most tanks bags are just dark holes...so much so that I sold my BMW tank bags for my 1200 R and 1100 GS and went searching. I ended up with a magnetic Marsee bag for traveling on the GS and I bought a Moto Fizz Through bag from Aerostich for the R. Since the R is for local rides and weekend trips, I wanted something small and organized. The Fizz is that, and a whole lot more. I think it is without doubt the best made, most thought out product I have ever bought for my bikes in 20 years. On the on the outside is a mesh compartment for my cell phone and or Ipod. In front of that is a slide in compartment for a credit card. Unhook the velcro and it also opens up to a place to carry cash and change. Unzip the zipper below and it opens book style for a mesh compartment on the left and sewn in organizer area with a spot for glasses tire gauge mini leatherman, mini maglight and multiple campartments for lip balm and other little insidentals. Unzip below that and it opens book syle for a real cool map compartment with clear plastic on both sides...even has a bookmark sewn in. Unzip below that and the main compartment opens, flipping up and to the front. In the mesh side is my Owners Manuel, ins cards extra ear plugs and Wet Ones wipes. Bottom area has my camera, wallet, a 40z bottle of Meguires, and rag, extra gloves if needed, sunglasses and a little room left over. Everything organized. If I need more stuff, I have one of the Ztechnik tailbags that can carry alot and is actually very nice and convienient. Aerostich carries about 4 models of the Fizz bags and each is very unique in the way it was designed. I was kind of leary buying it but as the girl on the phone said, if I didn't like it, just send it back......which isn't going to happen. When the Marsee wears out, I will replace it with one of the larger Fizz bags .......without a doubt. Fizz even had a bag that mounts above the tank.............

http://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-in/ ... h-bag.html
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
wabeers
Basic User

Post by wabeers »

I rode up to RKA in Windsor, CA and bought the 16 liter bag.
They installed it on my bike - real ease with the R1200R and it
looks good on my bike - not to big but big enough to fit my Apple 13" Macbook computer
when it is expanded. It has separate zippered compartment for calc + maps + pens.
It has 2 zippered compartments one of which can be expanded. It also comes with
a clear map holder on top - all for $125.

Bill Beers
Danville, CA
Bill Beers
2008 R1200R
9Schwein
Lifer

Post by 9Schwein »

Patrick & Don, Thanks, I had been wondering about the paint protection film. I'll try it.
Ned
2007 R1200R Black