Leaning an R vs. leaning a GSA

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Daryl.Stamp
Basic User

Leaning an R vs. leaning a GSA

Post by Daryl.Stamp »

Hard to believe, but MLW says I'm way more aggressive in cornering & riding w/ the GSA than w/ the R.
The R's rear; even after my most spirited ride following our local club president;
The front;

GSA rear (about 850 miles)
Front;

Took the RR out for a short ride yesterday; felt like I was crouching on a crotch rocket. Loved the snap though; what a blast.

The GSA feels incredibly light though; don't know what the deal is, but it really seems light, flickable and stable.
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Re: Leaning an R vs. leaning a GSA

Post by AirForceDirt »

I wish my tires looked like your RR's tires, I wouldn't have to replace them as often. I took my Hepco/Becker bars off and have had no chicken strips on my tires since. I wear out the edges of my rear tire well before the center. And my fronts wear way too fast as I'm hard into corners.

Then my dad goes and does the exact same thing with his 08 12GS. It's really what you're more comfortable throwing on it's side.
MIXR
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by MIXR »

Sorry, but this is not an appropriate comparison.

Different tyres and different tyre profiles. Even on the R you will find that one brand will allow running to the edge with ease, while another brand will require a lot more work to get there. Case in point - Try an Avon Azzaro versus a Pilot Road 2. Totally different profile, in the same size tyres. The Avon is far 'flatter' and you can run on the edge (literally) but the PR2 won't go that far before the same things scrape.

And the GSA uses different rim sizes and different tyre profiles altogether. Even the same rear tyres will fit differently on the rim as the rims are not the same width.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

Not to mention that: on the same road, to make the same corner at the same speed, the two different bikes will need to lean differently. They are different heights, different suspension set-ups. too much different to make a good comparo, but fun, none-the-less.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

There ar three things that might be influencing your perception:
1) The tires are diferent, there is more of a crown on the R1150R tire than on the GSA. It is easier to roll the GSA. (push to the limit)
2) The GSA is ~ 1/2" higher at the back which sharpens the steering turn in
3) The GSA has a longer throttle body tube to the air box which fatens the torque at the bottom of the rpm range, hence the snapier acceleration a lower revs.

Hope this helps............
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX