First Minor Accident , lesson learned. Don't do this....

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Rocket
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

First Minor Accident , lesson learned. Don't do this....

Post by Rocket »

Stupid mistake on my part - dropped the bike on the drive., and managed to crash it into the car also. What a great start to the day!

Rolled the bike out of the garage onto the drive and started her up to warm the engine, leaving it on the side stand. Went indoors for helmet etc but heard a depressing "thump" soon after...

Yep, she'd fallen off the stand onto the floor, engine still running, bashed car door and broken engine protector. Amazingly, no other marks on the bike except scuffed mirror.

Root cause - a change to my normal practice, the bike was parked on my driveway facing towards the road which has a very slight incline. Its only a minor gradient , and despite checking it was stable, the vibrations of the engine on tick-over gradually moved the bike forward to the point the side stand no longer supported the bike. Stupid mistake on my part. Should have put it on centre stand (my usual practice).

Interesting observation - Plastic BMW engine guards fully protected the cylinder head. It snapped , but it did its job. Impressed - they do work!
Plastic guards also minimised damage to the car (no paint removed so Dent Repair expert should resolve that problem).

Am I the only numpty to do this?.........don't answer that.
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)
2006 KTM 400 EXC (Orange,.. obviously)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Re: First Minor Accident , lesson learned. Don't do this....

Post by Mollygrubber »

Rocket wrote:Am I the only numpty to do this?.........don't answer that.
...errr...

Up until last week I was feeling special since I hadn't dropped a bike in many years...

Mine was even more ridiculous - I wheeled the bike out of the garage like I do every morning, set it down on the sidestand - forgot to stop the bike rolling before putting it down - the sidestand folded up and it fell on me, trapping me between itself and the wife's car. Fortunately the softest parts of my body prevented any damage to the car.

'kin 'ell.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

Mollygrubber wrote:Fortunately the softest parts of my body prevented any damage to the car.
I once highsided my GSXR-750, and used body parts to prevent the tank from getting crushed.
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

Rocket,

Be lucky to remain yourself in one piece...With my previous GSX1100G one morning I was upset with something, barely awake....I was late !
So ! I jump on the bike pull out the side stand but while doing so my left feet slip on a piece of wet grass....lost lateral balance and fell like a big poo.

Only problem ! was that while meeting the ground my left elbow hit a root
I heard a pock ! sound alike then could not move my arm.

In fact I foocking dislocated my elbow !
ended up with a cast for almost 3month...then 2 month of stupid therapy !

So far in my rider life... All my injuries related crashes happened at a speed in between 0 & 15Mph...
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

Bout 3 weeks ago, we had a lot of wind where I live. I was coming home at the end of a long Friday of a long week and coming up the steep hill to where I live.

An empty plastic trash bin had blown out into the roadway. So I pulled over into the parallel-parking cutout and put the bike on the side stand, left it in neutral with the engine running, to go corral the can and feel like a Good Citizen.

Just after wrangling the wayward can, and just as I turned to go back to my bike, I saw it inching its way back down the hill, despite the Wunderlich side stand foot to add extra friction. My tall Parabellum Scout shield probably added a nifty sail to the equation.The turned front wheel nicely guided the bike to precisely where its tilt was befriended my Mr. Gravity, just as I got close.

Fortunately a neighbor came up the hill in his car and helped me lift the bike, which was difficult because of the hill. Luckily, he had seen the whole slapstick movie and I didn't have to try to explain myself.

First gear, on a non-running engine, every time, is my constant friend.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

This is why I like this forum. No matter what you've done, someone else has done it larger...feeling better already. Thanks guys.

Let the silly accidents amnesty continue.......
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

OK, since we're baring souls here... :lol:

When I was in my teens I had a Yamaha Maxim (not really a cruiser, OK? It had an inline 4. Quite peppy.). So to continue, I rode from Toronto to Haliburton to visit my parents, coincidentally the same day my aunt visited them to show off her new car (oh, the suspense... :cry: ).

So I parked beside her shiny new Delta 88 and we all went inside. Moments later I heard a funny noise... the kickstand had dug into the loose gravel and the bike fell on her car, driving the now broken rear view mirror stalk through her door, tearing apart the wiring for the power window in the process.

No soft tissue injury that time. Well, not from the accident, anyway.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Mollygrubber wrote:OK, since we're baring souls here... :lol:

...and the bike fell on her car, driving the now broken rear view mirror stalk through her door, tearing apart the wiring for the power window in the process.

No soft tissue injury that time. Well, not from the accident, anyway.
Ouch! Bet she never quite forgave you for that.
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I've had the exact same thing ALMOST happen twice.. in my case - the sidestand wasn't quite all the way forward (my driveway is almost dead flat..) Both times, I noticed it happening and managed to catch it.

I try to remember now before I put it on the sidestand after wheeling it out - to give the sidestand an extra little shove to make sure it's all the way foward. It probably is made more likely to happen since I have a lowered suspension and the bike sits almost upright on the sidestand, perhaps a 5-10 degree lean to the left on flat pavement.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MJB
Lifer

Post by MJB »

I did the same thing
My bike was running while on the side stand
Went over to talk to my buddy, and when I truned around the bike was on the ground
I had placed the bike on a very small grade, so when I got off the bike, the bike slowly rolled forward.

So now I always leave the bike in first gear when I park it.....not running
Michael
2007 R1200R Granite Grey
1979 Honda 750F
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

The bike vibrating itself off the side stand magic trick has happened to me with several of my bikes in some fashion, except for the Roadster. There it is, now I jinxed it.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
cwrose
Basic User

Post by cwrose »

Well.. A few months after getting my bike a couple years ago, I thought I'd go exploring and scouting out some land. I was on a narrow gravel road with a pretty decent incline. Unfortunately, my path was all but disappearing, so I decided that I must concede and turn around. It was tricky; loose gravel, incline, and narrow. Anyway, I had just about completely my turn, when the unthinkable happened. Physics got the best of me, and I had reached the tipping point.

I attempted to put my leg down and stop it, but almost instantly I realized that this tip over wasn't going to be stopped. I figured my leg was more important than any replaceable part on the bike, so I tried to hop off and get out of the bike's way. In the end, few character scratches on the cheaper right side valve cover and a small scrape on the swing arm. Lucky for me that the bar ends, paint, mirrors, etc. were all undamaged. I had a pretty decent scrape about a foot long down my left leg, but that's not the worst part.

The worst part was, in the middle of nowhere, on this desolate gravel road/trail, there just happened to be two people riding quads that saw the whole thing happen. I think my pride was damaged most... :mrgreen:

After the initial sadness of marring my new bike, I shrugged it off and thought to myself, "What the hell, I bought the bike to ride, and that's what I'm doing. Who cares if it gets mucked up."
Chris
2008 R1200R

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

I dropped my bike at a stoplight, in traffic.
Bill
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Post by Caol »

When leaving the apartment building's parking garage, be sure to ride over the door sensor. Just because the door is open, due to a car leaving ahead of you, doesn't mean the door is going to stay open while you ride through it.

Fortunately, no damage to the bike ('87 K75T), or me, but my helmet was a write off due to a gouge from a bolt on the bottom edge of the door.

Totally clothes-lined! Cleaned me right off the back of the bike! :?

Most disturbing.....
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Ooo, nasty,

...but would have made a great You Tube clip!
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

websterize wrote:I dropped my bike at a stoplight, in traffic.
LOL. Oh Bill, what a bummer.
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE