How to ID a low seat? #'s on seat don't match any BMW #'s

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

blueviewlaguna
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

How to ID a low seat? #'s on seat don't match any BMW #'s

Post by blueviewlaguna »

I was assured by my dealer that they switched the standard height seat to a low (770mm) one but I sure seem to be on my toes a lot with a 29" inseam. I am beginning to think that I actually have a standard height seat (800mm). The only two #'s on the underside of my seat (163609-10 & 7 697 216-05 don't match the six BMW #'s I can find (on Max BMW's listings for example).

52537706418 SEAT BENCH, HIGH, BLACK - 835MM
52537713114 BENCH SEAT, BLACK, EXTRA-LOW - 770MM
52537721958 COMFORT SADDLE, HIGH - 830MM
52537698379 SEAT BENCH, LOW, BLACK - 770MM
52537706416 BENCH SEAT, BLACK - 800MM
52537721957 COMFORT BENCH SEAT, LOW - 800MM

If I set it on a flat surface (upright resting on the four lowest bumpers) it measures 4.25" tall at the lowest curved point on the saddle. Any input would be most appreciated (esp if someone with a known low seat could double check those numbers)
Member# 893
blueviewlaguna
Basic User

Re: How to ID a low seat? #'s on seat don't match any BMW #'s

Post by blueviewlaguna »

Found this thread - http://www.r1150r.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18630 I looked at the photo of my bike in a crate (came with the standard seat from the factory) and it looks identical to the one I have now in the "indent" area. The indent on the low seat appears to be about twice the length of the standard one. The dealer in fact gave me the standard seat (or never replaced mine).

I guess the question is now if I should even go to a low seat given that I have ridden 1600 miles on the standard one. The comfort of this (now revealed to be standard) seat is good, perhaps I will end up regretting the trade-off?
Member# 893
Ashveratu
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Ashveratu »

Not sure if it will help much as a visual reference, but here it is. My low Sargent conversion. Feels the same height as a regular low seat (which I still have in a box at my storage facility, I should post it up for sale in the buy/sell section....someday)

09 Alpine White R1200R: Touring windshield, BMW panniers, Sargent Low seat, Throttlemeister.
Matt G.
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

Here is my bike with a BWM Low Un-comfort seat.

The standard Un-comfort seat is thicker.

You can look through pictures in "R1200R PHOT0 GALLERY" and see standard seats. Interestingly, 50% of the pictures there have custom seats or pads on the seat. Says a lot about the stock seat.

Scott

Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
blueviewlaguna
Basic User

Post by blueviewlaguna »

Thanks guys 100% certain I have the standard now - Scott, did you ever try the standard seat before your low one? - I ride about 3 hours at a time and never get sore with my standard. One advantage of the low seat is that it effectively raises the relative bar height to the rider. I have some issues with putting too much pressure on my hands when I ride, its getting better now, but the low seat could help in this area. Hopefully I am not trading sore hands for a sore rear. Finally, my knees will be bent a bit more, hopefully it will not change my gear-shifting learning curve on this bike.
Member# 893
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

There are a number of us who found the Un-Comfort low-seat the most butt friendly stock one for the bike.. (not including the "Comfort" seat).

One thing to be aware of is - the low seats cause you to bend your knees more, and if your inseam is greater then mine (VERY likely.. mine is about 27") this can result in knee pain on long rides (I get it after about 3-4 hours - and end up with my boots on the top of the cylinders for a bit, usually one at a time since having both there makes the bike feel unstable to me..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
motoracer8
Basic User

Post by motoracer8 »

When I bought my R the dealer had all 3 seats in stock, I took a short ride about 20 miles with each seat, the low seat probbably had the best shape, but put too much of a bend in my knees, the tall seat, about 2 1/2" taller helped my knees but the rounded shape was not comfortable, so I setteled for the 800mm middle seat, it's ok it could be better.

The most comfortable stock motorcycle seat of the several I have is on a R75/6, plus the foot pegs are a bit lower.

Ken G.
blueviewlaguna
Basic User

Post by blueviewlaguna »

motoracer8 wrote:When I bought my R the dealer had all 3 seats in stock, I took a short ride about 20 miles with each seat, the low seat probbably had the best shape, but put too much of a bend in my knees, the tall seat, about 2 1/2" taller helped my knees but the rounded shape was not comfortable, so I setteled for the 800mm middle seat, it's ok it could be better.

The most comfortable stock motorcycle seat of the several I have is on a R75/6, plus the foot pegs are a bit lower.

Ken G.
Hi Ken - what is your inseam?
Member# 893
blueviewlaguna
Basic User

Post by blueviewlaguna »

deilenberger wrote:There are a number of us who found the Un-Comfort low-seat the most butt friendly stock one for the bike.. (not including the "Comfort" seat).

One thing to be aware of is - the low seats cause you to bend your knees more, and if your inseam is greater then mine (VERY likely.. mine is about 27") this can result in knee pain on long rides (I get it after about 3-4 hours - and end up with my boots on the top of the cylinders for a bit, usually one at a time since having both there makes the bike feel unstable to me..)
Good to know - my inseam is 29".
Member# 893
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

blueviewlaguna wrote:Thanks guys 100% certain I have the standard now - Scott, did you ever try the standard seat before your low one? - I ride about 3 hours at a time and never get sore with my standard. One advantage of the low seat is that it effectively raises the relative bar height to the rider. I have some issues with putting too much pressure on my hands when I ride, its getting better now, but the low seat could help in this area. Hopefully I am not trading sore hands for a sore rear. Finally, my knees will be bent a bit more, hopefully it will not change my gear-shifting learning curve on this bike.
I have a 30 inch inseam, and when I tried the standard seat at the dealer, it seemed too high. At this point, if I am going to buy a seat, I will get a nice one.

Scott
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
motoracer8
Basic User

Post by motoracer8 »

My inseam is 30", and as I've said the middle, or 800mm seat is ok, I've done 500 mile days and I was ready to get off. I generaly don't have too much trouble with motorcycle seats unless they are really bad. The R1200R seat is not bad but could be better. What could it cost for BMW to put the comfort seat on the bike at the manufactures level, not the $500 to $600 the dealers want for them. I bought the Ducati comfort seat for my Multistrada, $230, none of the aftermarket seats came close to that price, and it's a good seat. Good luck on finding a seat you like, they are like shields, helmets, tires, motor oil, everybody has a opinion.

Ken G.