Cross country R12R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Sam
Basic User

Cross country R12R

Post by Sam »

I'm heading out on the road for my first long distance trip in about a week and wonder if anyone wants to put in their few cents of advice on packing, routes, stops, etc.

My stock '07 12R has about 8,000 miles on it, newer tires, up to date service. I'm traveling between San Francisco California and Maine likely by way of Austin Texas, and have two weeks to make it in. I don't have cases, but am thinking I'll invest in a set of sling- over soft luggage. I also have a tank bag. Anything else that I can't go without?

Looking through the forum, I've put the following on my list to purchase and pack:

seal line bags
pocket plugger
air pump
airhawk pad

What about a throttle lock? Engine crash bars?

Any general wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam.
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Re: Cross country R12R

Post by Mollygrubber »

A compression stuff-sack really helps keep clothing/sleeping bags compressed. You can buy waterproof ones (REI sells them).

Take the tent poles out of the bag, that way you can compress the tent too.

Get some adjustable Rok Straps - leave the bungees at home.

Throttle lock is really nice, or at least a "Cramp Buster" (much cheaper, if that's important).

Have a great time, don't kill yourself with mileage - you're supposed to be having fun!

Peter
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Mollygrubber
Lifer

Post by Mollygrubber »

...oh, get a bike cover. It's great for keeping wandering eyes of your mount. Good security.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
spenserj87
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by spenserj87 »

+1 on the throttle lock or the cramp buster. I haven't used the cramp buster, but the throttle lock (throttlemeister) was a huge help for my last cross country trip.

I'm also a big fan of the hydration pack that Chitown introduced me to - the hi-viz orange/yellow Camelbak models.
2007 R1200R
gezerbike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 775

Post by gezerbike »

You didn't mention whether you have a riding suir or just go in jeans. I always wear a riding suit on trips and find that it allows me to take a lot less clothing with me. I'm a big fan of the Columbia brand of fishing clothing that you can wash out in a motel room and dry overnight...same for a pair of riding shorts. A pair of Minnetonka moccasins always go along as well. The whole idea is to take what you need...not what you want. I too use soft luggage and try to keep my gear as light as possible. I have a pair of these...http://www.newenough.com/parts/closeout ... ebags.html

You can then throw a waterproof duffel over your seat and you now can carry quit a bit of stuff. A small cover is a great idea...mine is from Aerostich. A Crampbuster is a good idea. A small air compressor from Walmart, removed from it's plastic case, fits nicely under your seat. A tire plug kit and some rubber cement will fit there as well. I don't carry alot of tools with me for repairs because this bike is not an Airhead, and if something does go wrong, odds are you can't fix it on these bikes. One of the biggest stress relievers for me is a credit card or debit card that will cover most any emergency you might have, and while being dilegent about covering all the bases, I never leave on a trip worrying about what might go wrong while on it, and I have never had any major problem in 20 years of traveling, and alot of those trips were alone.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
goo
Basic User

insurance with roadside assistance...

Post by goo »

...to include towing and lodging?
http://www.brokebiketowing.com/054.jpg
dumfounded
Lifer

Post by dumfounded »

Check out Kriega (http://www.kriega.com/) for some expandable, waterproof, stuff-the-heck out of it luggage.I just started using a US-20 and I didn't get a drop of rain on my DSLR in today's downpour. I on the other hand was soaked. On that note, pack rain gear as well... Include booties unless you have truly waterproof boots. Wet feet are miserable after a couple hundred miles.

Invest in a decent tool kit, an air pump, tire plugger kit, and an emergency cell phone with BMW Roadside Assistance, or AAA, or whoever programmed in. The tool kit, pump, and tire plugger could save you an hour or so from having to wait around for roadside assistance.

+1 on a throttle lock- I like the Kaoko (http://www.kaokousa.com/). I have a crampbuster, but removed it as I tended to push it in the corners.

I still have the stock seat (uhg), but my Alaska Leather buttpad (http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront) helps keep it bearable until I get a new seat. I take it with me when I rent RTs on the west coast.
patrick
'10 r1200r
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

See my post on Advice on first road trip for what I carry.

I was typing all of that stuff and didn't read this post.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

Make sure you have enough tools to get the wheels off and on, on the side of the road in case of a flat. The stock tool kit will not do it. You might even try it before leaving.

Scott
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

Mollygrubber wrote:Take the tent poles out of the bag, that way you can compress the tent too.
Good advice... but don't forget to take the tent poles with you. :lol:
Member #725
red baron
Lifer

Post by red baron »

As far as luggage is concerned I would suggest the BMW sports soft bag (51 liter). It can hold everything for a two week trip. part # 71-60-7-693-567. You will not miss the sidebags. Anyway very practical.
Red baron
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

You might also want to take a couple of "test" overnighters of several hundred miles with all the gear onboard to see how things work, and your endurance, before you commit to a really long multiday ride. If you do not have a windscreen yet, it will really make for a much more comfortable ride.

Anti-monkey butt powder is also recommended !
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Mollygrubber
Lifer

Post by Mollygrubber »

Here's a nice little tool kit for Beemers - much better than the stock one...

You'll need to embellish it a little, but it's a pretty good start.

http://www.motorsports-network.com/acruz/index.htm

I like it, even has a little vial of blue Loctite...

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Dauntless
Lifer

Post by Dauntless »

Here is another tool kit that is very comprehensive: http://www.advdesigns.net/ulcobmwr1gsg.html
Paul
2009 R1200R
spenserj87
Lifer

Post by spenserj87 »

Also, a quick word of encouragement. I have a 2007 R12 with 7k miles - I don't put up huge annual mileage. Up until last summer, I'd never done more than 200-300 miles in a day and never more than a 3 day consecutive trip. I had no idea what type of mileage I could do on my first cross country trip, but it turns out 500+ mile days was rather easy. I had an Airhawk (and the aforementioned Throttlemeister) - those plus a 10 minute break every couple of hours, and it was all happy riding. Great scenery (and tunes pumping through my ears) helped. And picture stops. Still, riding 10 hour days wasn't all that hard. And I'm a middle age, out of shape dude.

Having said that, the best thing you can do is take the days as they come - have lots of overnight options. I camped the whole way (with some friend visits too) and never had to stretch my miles to make a prepaid hotel room. Not all of us can ride 20+ hours like ChiTown :)

So, have fun and make sure you share a road report if you can.
2007 R1200R
tl440
Lifer

Post by tl440 »

You might review the Iron Butt Association's "Tips and Techniqhes. . ." here: http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm. Each tip leads to a well reasoned discussion of the issue.

Dave
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

My advice would be to head east, stay off the interstate highways with little or no plan.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

You won't need most of the crap you think to bring anyways, and there's always help along the way.
The most commonly overpacked thing is clothes. Think about what you really need to have with you.
Forget the tire plugger, just get some plugging strings from any auto store.

+1 on the cramp buster throttle thingy - must have.

I can recommend the Ortlieb Saddle Bags, they work great, though I haven't confirmed they work on the R with no rack. I think they will though.

http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-59.htm

I don't bother locking, covering, or even taking the key out of the bike while in rural area's - no need.

Maybe add Moab UT to the via list... if you've never been you'll be blown away.

Have fun, get off the beaten path, ride fast, wave at kids, and don't order your food standing up!
Get Lost!
TT RDHS
Basic User

Post by TT RDHS »

ChiTown wrote:My advice would be to head east, stay off the interstate highways with little or no plan.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

You won't need most of the crap you think to bring anyways, ....

+1