Handlebar Question

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

dutchie
Lifer
Donating Member #: 855

Handlebar Question

Post by dutchie »

Has anyone changed to a flat Drag Bar style handlebar with taller risers?
rokinrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Handlebar Question

Post by rokinrider »

Sounds interesting! I want to see pics if you pull it off!!
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
dav
Lifer
Donating Member #: 798

Post by dav »

Did't someone else ask the same question a few months ago? Wonder if they went ahead & got it done :?:
2009 R1200R
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

A lot of people ask about flat/shotgun/drag bars on the R1200R and there never seems to be anyone who's tried it. It seems like an easy enough thing to try, but that said I don't think i'm in a position to buck up and do it myself anytime soon.

Like everyone, I'd love to see it though!
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

I haven't seen any other bars that have the threaded fittings at the end of the bar to hold the end weights in place. Without those, the bar would probably vibrate a lot more.
Rolando33
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 872

Post by Rolando33 »

This guy did:
Kieran R1200R

Check out his bike on the R1200R Photo Gallery page (page two). Sick looking R12R. I would love to find that Rizoma Bar, with riser and mirror set-up.
'11 BMW F800R
'08 BMW R1200R
'07 BMW R1200S
'84 BMW R100
GOTJ
Basic User

Post by GOTJ »

I installed the F800ST bars with 1" risers. Even with the risers, the bars are so low that the turn signal switch would hit the tank. I made some steering lock limiters that give me about 1/2" clearance to the tank. I really like the flickable feel they give the bike because they are so much narrower and lower. I ride without a windshield so the wind keeps the wrists from getting tired. Took a 1000 mile Memorial Day trip on it and they are quite comfortable.
George
spoonyfork
Lifer
Donating Member #: 944

Post by spoonyfork »

GOTJ wrote:I installed the F800ST bars with 1" risers.
Would you mind posting a picture or two? I'd love to see this configuration.
spoonyfork
2008 BMW R1200R
Iron Butt #61362
GOTJ
Basic User

Post by GOTJ »

I would be glad to but it may be a few days. My camera is MIA and I don't know how to get pics from my cell phone to my computer. In addition, I'm a real squid when it comes to uploading pics.
George
Stef.
Lifer

Post by Stef. »

I wonder what advantage you would get from these flat handlebars? I would if anything like mine to be slightly longer so the reach is shorter. I haven't got my arms fully stretched but pretty much and this is hard on my non exisiting arm muscles when riding for a couple of hours. I had htose flat ones on my Honda cruiser before and did not find them very comfortable, but than with a cruiser you don't do that many miles in one go.
Stef.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
R1200R (2010)
dutchie
Lifer
Donating Member #: 855

Post by dutchie »

Well, my last few motorcycles were sport bikes. I think a flat drag style bar would be more comfortable on my arms. That said, I have seen the picture at the bottom of the second page in the photo section. I like it a lot. After posting the question I searched around to get an idea what was involved. I couldn't find a step by step but read enough to know changing the bars to aftermarket bars will be challenging. Heated grip wiring, locating pins for the controls and bar end weights and then some. Someone posted it was around a 4 or 5 hr job. I hope someone who has changed the bars finds this post and sheds some better light on the subject. By the way Rizoma makes silver colored bars. I'll put it off until winter.
GOTJ
Basic User

Post by GOTJ »

dutchie,

The issues you mention are the big reason I went with the F800ST bars. All the controls fit right on.

I'm still hunting for my camera.
George