SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

ajs3102
Lifer
Donating Member #: 6005

SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards

Post by ajs3102 »

Hi
I'm thinking about getting this SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards from Twisted Throttle for my 2009 R1200R. SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards (BMW R1200R, '07-)

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /3076/594/

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated :) - AJ
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.-FB
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards

Post by ka5ysy »

I love mine. They look good, are easy to install if you take your time and sort the hardware before starting (by length, it is side-specific). They also make good highway pegs on which you can rest you boots stretched out for a nice comfortable ride position. They also protect the top of the cylinders unlike the plastic things BMW sells.

Installation instruction sheet:

LEFT SIDE :

RIGHT SIDE:

FRONT VIEW:

RIDER VIEW:

MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
ajs3102
Lifer

Post by ajs3102 »

They look great! You have a fine looking bike my friend. =D>
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.-FB
larsn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 737

Post by larsn »

I love my MoTechs. They look great, like they are part of the frame - like they are not an "add on." Like they are supposed to be there. You can also rest your legs on them while cruising. Stretch out. But the best part, they work! I had a fairly serious wreck and the Motech were "toast" (on both sides yet!, crushed on one) but the engine damage was confined to a scrapped magnesium cylinder head. Total Damage ~$6k+, but the MoTechs saved the engine, in my opinion - best $200 you can spend.

LARSN
Larry N
Draper, Utah

"But Officer, it won't GO that slow."
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Post by Caol »

I've got my driving lights mounted on them!

2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Just installed mine a few minutes ago. Thinking of getting some highway pegs to mount on the sides that can be folded down ... thoughts?
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Caol wrote:I've got my driving lights mounted on them!

What driving lights did you install? Also, was it a fairly easy process? Me and Electrical are somewhat estranged.

Thanks.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Post by Caol »

Those are PIAA 510 Series Driving Lights, mounted with PIAA L-Bracket Bar Clamps. The two light kit came with wire and switch, the brackets were separate. As to the installation, I left that to my local tech, as I too am challenged when it comes to things like this. (I can do it - but I really would like it to be neat and tidy :lol: )

I already had a Centech AP-1 auxiliary fuse box in place, so he hooked 'em up through that. The L-Brackets have enough axes of rotation to be able to compensate for the angles of the crash bars, so that the lights are square and level.

Once I get the bike clean (bugs from a run and concrete dust from construction work in the building's garage - :roll: ) I'll post some detail pics
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
ajs3102
Lifer

Post by ajs3102 »

Just installed mine a few minutes ago. Thinking of getting some highway pegs to mount on the sides that can be folded down ... thoughts?
I was thinking about that also, but I am concerned about my pants leg melting on the hot cylinder head.
GOTJ
Basic User

Post by GOTJ »

ajs3102 wrote:
I was thinking about that also, but I am concerned about my pants leg melting on the hot cylinder head.
I don't know the temperature of the head compared to that of the cylinder but I rode 25 interstate miles with my legs laying on the top of the guards with no heat issues for my Olympia mesh pants. I would bet that using highway pegs would work just fine and may look into them myself.
George
psycle.vt

Post by psycle.vt »

Re resting legs on cylinders - I have been doing it for years on the R1150GS (until I got some neat leg rests) and have ridden a number of miles with a leg thrown over the R cylinder before it got warm enough to notice. I think the R is cooler on the outside than the GS. I was riding the R with my FirstGear Mesh pants. You should have no issue using the SW-MOTECH bars.
Cy Young/VT (now NH)
13 R1200R (BLUE - the latest PSYCLE)
Stef.
Lifer

Post by Stef. »

Got my Motech crash bars yesterday and my hubby isntalled them for me. They look great and it makes me feel a bit safer should my bike really drop over. Thanks again to all of you for your advice! Do you guys take them off when you send you bike in for service or can they reach everything without having to take them off?
Stef.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
R1200R (2010)
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

Stef. wrote:Got my Motech crash bars yesterday and my hubby isntalled them for me. They look great and it makes me feel a bit safer should my bike really drop over. Thanks again to all of you for your advice! Do you guys take them off when you send you bike in for service or can they reach everything without having to take them off?
Stef.
I like mine too. Saved my valve cover in a gravel induced tipover already.

They don't need to come off for servicing, DIY or dealership.

Peter
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

angellr wrote:Just installed mine a few minutes ago. Thinking of getting some highway pegs to mount on the sides that can be folded down ... thoughts?
Here ya go, Bob:

Furled (with spec and source):
http://tinyurl.com/2ewq7c7

Unfurled:
http://tinyurl.com/5xwuwt

Like 'em.
Bill
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
Stef.
Lifer

Post by Stef. »

Thanks Peter- good to know.
Stef.
R1200R (2010)
questy
Lifer

Post by questy »

Hello everyone, I've lurked this board for almost a year but this is my first post (I have a lot of questions and comments regarding the R so trust me, I'm going to make up for lost time).

I installed the SW-Motech crash bars a few weeks ago and I love them and now I'm thinking about highway pegs (I don't feel comfortable resting my legs on the bars above the cylinders). Twisted Throttle sells a clamp kit and pegs with the crash bars but there aren't any photos and I have no idea exactly what I would be purchasing. I've seen several comments about members considering the highway pegs for their SW-M crash bars but have yet to see an actual photo of this. Is there anyone here that has installed the SW-M clamp kit and pegs on the SW-M crash bars from Twisted Throttle? Any photos or comments would be appreciated.
David R Cabe
Fort Worth, TX

2009 Alpine White R1200R
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

I have BMW's plastic cylinder head guards, which performed nicely on a recent tip over. The plastic got all scratched by gravel, but the ~$200 piece of magnesium is unscathed. Got a few scratches way down low on one of the panniers.

Seeing your R lying on the ground is not a pleasant experience. Remember this, kids: revs are our friend.
Richard
Stef.
Lifer

Post by Stef. »

Welcome questy. I can't help you with your question as I have not got the hgihway pegs installed on my Motech crash bars. I am also very interested to hear for someone who has done this and I would love to know whether they influence the driving on twisty roads. (Cornering- scratching...)
Stef.
R1200R (2010)
hoflix
Basic User

Post by hoflix »

Stef. wrote: [...] I am also very interested to hear for someone who has done this and I would love to know whether they influence the driving on twisty roads. (Cornering- scratching...)
Stef.
+1 on that... lean angle

Although they seem nicely integrated (in pics) ... how far do they stick downwards, under the engine?
hoflix
Basic User

Post by hoflix »

hoflix wrote:
+1 on that... lean angle

Although they seem nicely integrated (in pics) ... how far do they stick downwards, under the engine?

DISREGARD ! haha

i just saw the nice pics

crystal clear now.