Key Stuck In Ignition

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

bmwk100
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Key Stuck In Ignition

Post by bmwk100 »

Hats off for riding in weather where a key would freeze in the lock. You perpetuate the legend of BMW riders.
Blue 10' R1200R
Triumph Sprint ST (traded for)
creamora
Basic User
Donating Member #: 964

Post by creamora »

ChiTown wrote:
creamora wrote: Sir, what are you doing? says the cop.
Well, officer, my key is frozen...
lol
"Officer, it's a BMW thing, you wouldn't understand." ;)
2009 R1200R Black
jess
Basic User

Post by jess »

deilenberger wrote:The R12R keyhole has no water-shield (the little door that slides across to close the opening when the key is removed.) Oversight on BMW's part IMHO, considering it lives down in what's basically a funnel.
Mine (a 2009) has a pair of black plastic spring-loaded doors across the keyway, with the split right down the middle. Inserting the key pushes them both to either side. It's not the most waterproof solution I've ever seen, but it's probably better than just being completely open.

A later edition, maybe?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

jess wrote:
deilenberger wrote:The R12R keyhole has no water-shield (the little door that slides across to close the opening when the key is removed.) Oversight on BMW's part IMHO, considering it lives down in what's basically a funnel.
Mine (a 2009) has a pair of black plastic spring-loaded doors across the keyway, with the split right down the middle. Inserting the key pushes them both to either side. It's not the most waterproof solution I've ever seen, but it's probably better than just being completely open.

A later edition, maybe?
Might be - or I just can't see mine (both possibilities are.. possible..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

The ignition lock on my '07 has the two little plastic flaps in the keyway, too. They are very hard to see.

I like the plastic lens cap idea for covering the whole thing. Of course, old-time photo shops with drawers full of miscellaneous lens caps are now pretty hard to find.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

I had the same issue with my 12R, and now with an F8GS. Just bad design (which is why it was used on multiple models??????). The graphite lube helps, and so does keeping the barrel covered as much as possible. I had a little plastic flap attached with zip ties for awhile, until it abandoned ship on the highway one day. I guess the solution is to craft an elegant cover of some sort. Stay tuned, although the need is pretty much gone for me this year.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
PhilSB
Basic User

Post by PhilSB »

At least it worked out better than my 3 series car. The pins all collapsed in the steering/ignition lock, the lock cylinder couldn't be removed so a new steering column needed -£500 #-o