Road salt

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Toby6938
Lifer

Road salt

Post by Toby6938 »

Any consensus on riding on salt covered roads? Normally I haven't but maybe it's not that corrosive to the bike. Anxious to ride but may get too cold again to wash off bike.
TAG-Caver
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Road salt

Post by TAG-Caver »

Don't do it unless you can wash the bike after the ride! I have a DR650 which is my sacrificial bike and daily commuter. The corrosion on the brake calipers is downright scary, but they work properly, just look ugly. Keep your sweetie off the streets unless you can give her a wash after the ride.

Kevin
2008 R1200R
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Road salt - hell yes.

Post by Lost Rider »

DONT BE SCARED. ;)

It's my opinion that the positive mental reinforcement that a simple motorbike ride in the middle of winter can provide to us, far outweighs the risk of harming your bike.

Sure, it's not good for it. Surely not as safe as leaving it in the garage to "protect it" while your brain melts from not riding....
So what.
It's not going to make the bike self destruct, I'm pretty sure.

I've been riding my bike on heavy salted roads in the winter since I've had it, when I take the time to wash her up, she looks as good as anyones bike on the forum.... minus the dents from off road riding. :lol:
No pitting, no rust, etc.

It's a tool, not a jewel.
Salt will not break your bike.
Winter can break your spirit.

I'd imagine some folks smarter than me can come give some reasons of technically why it's bad for the material machine thing you own, but who cares?.... Go ride if you want to and live a little.

One Life One Chance.

Dried salt on my BMW.
Last edited by Lost Rider on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

After a salty ride, and after the bike has cooled, I give it a quick rinse. All seems good.
Bill
Dauntless
Lifer

Post by Dauntless »

I read somewhere that just rinsing salt off does more harm than good. I wash my plow truck and equipment with a salt neutralizing solution that I bought at a boat store. If I rode my bike through a lot of salt I would definitely rinse it with the salt neutralizer. Salt corrosion is insidious.
Paul
2009 R1200R
DeltaDagger
Basic User

Post by DeltaDagger »

As far as salt goes, I don't ride if there is a lot of salt powder laying around, but I'm a clean freak. So take that with a grain of.......................salt.

More importantly, im my area of the woods, there is a lot of loose sand and gravel too. Be carefull, that stuff will put you down in a heartbeat!
2009 BMW R1200R
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2005 Roadstar Warrior
1978 Suzuki GS1000
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Dauntless wrote:I read somewhere that just rinsing salt off does more harm than good.

I think you're not supposed to use warm water to rinse salt off.
Get Lost!
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

ChiTown wrote:
Dauntless wrote:I read somewhere that just rinsing salt off does more harm than good.

I heard that too, whatever. In the time it takes to rinse the salt off, how much more corrosion can warm water cause? I dunno. I ride throughout the winter and agree with Chitown, you can always pretty her back up when you want to.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

Yep, if you want to just get out and ride! I'd be more concerned with sand in the corners which is a hazard of spring riding in my parts. The cities are usually fine but it's the newly opened mountain roads that you have to watch for the remaining winter salt/sand wash.

I did a bunch of research before heading to the Bonneville Salt Flats last summer and this seemed to be the conclusion: Salt on your bike is not great, but not so bad either -- as long as it is dry. Salt becomes a powerful corrosive once wet. So splashing water on your bike all the time does more harm than good unless you're truly washing it with a mild detergent to get the salt off. Else, just ride away and then when the rains come or snow starts melting you'll want to consider giving her a wash. (Or if you're at the Salt Flats finish your weekend speed runs before scrubbing your machine.)

Most of all ride safe and live fun.
Last edited by LumpyCam on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

That's a wonderful photo you have there Dan!
Get Lost!
boxermoose
Basic User

Post by boxermoose »

Mollygrubber wrote:
ChiTown wrote:

I heard that too, whatever. In the time it takes to rinse the salt off, how much more corrosion can warm water cause? I dunno. I ride throughout the winter and agree with Chitown, you can always pretty her back up when you want to.
I think the water temp is an issue with actually washing it away vs dissolving it and carrying it to areas where it can then coat and remain active all year round

We brought a good condition vehicle from Ontario with us when we moved to Houston - it lasted a year as it sort of dissolved in the Houston heat and humidity in all the places where salt was laying
TANSTAAFL
sky_sailor
Basic User

Post by sky_sailor »

The wise folks from Ontario try to buy used cars from Texas.
When in doubt, chicken out...
boxermoose
Basic User

Post by boxermoose »

sky_sailor wrote:The wise folks from Ontario try to buy used cars from Texas.
And the people from Ontario who are moving to Texas try to bring their paid of vehicles with them :badgrin:

Who knew #-o

BTW it's 70f today, sunny and georgoeus today...hows Kenora :lol:
TANSTAAFL