Rifle Superbike Fairing mount to an R12R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

highwaymanbw
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Rifle Superbike Fairing mount to an R12R

Post by highwaymanbw »

Step 1, acquire some 1" angle aluminum (8 ft), some .5" strap (2 ft) and some 1.5" strap (2 ft) (which serves as the lower fairing mount and headlight support). Then, make your bike look like this:

This is the first part of the fairing mount. It holds the gauge cluster and additional fairing mounts.

In this picture, 1 and 2 are the mounting locations in the upper triple clamp for the fairing mount. #3 is a weather shield for the ignition switch, which I removed in order to get the headlight back as far as I wanted it for aesthetic reasons.

The C clamp is holding on the lower fairing mount and what will become the headlight mount.

The next few pictures are the fabrication of the headlight mount. Since it's all being made out of aluminum it's pretty easy to work. A couple of holes drilled, some round filing for shaping, then tack weld it on to the proper location and we're set to move on.

This next picture is the tab being braced against the lower fairing mount and being tacked to the lower fairing mount.

As you probably realize, the complete fairing is attached only to the top triple clamp. I've tour tested it to 110 mph so far, and it's been rock solid for the last 8,000 miles.

This is the gauge cluster mount, which attaches to the very first cross bracket that you saw in the second photo.

This is it from the back. At this point, I've removed the weather shield from the back of the gauges. Since it's all being protected by the fairing, I felt there would be no problem.

This photo shows the next addition to the fairing mount, which I refer to as the upper fairing mount.

This next photo shows the positioning of the half inch strap for lateral support of the lower fairing and headlight mount. The item being pointed at is the ambient air temperature mount.

This photo shows the headlight mount (made from 1" aluminum strap) and turn signal mount (made from 1" angle) with a tab welded on the end. The hole for the turn signal mount was drilled like the headlight mount and filed with a square file to accept the stock turn signal mounting system. The second photo shows it's placement with the fairing on the bike. The nice thing is that the stock wiring still fit without having to lengthen it, and the same goes for the headlight as well (stock canbus system intact).

If you look closely, the headlight and gauges are higher than stock. The turn signals are lower than stock to mate up with the cutouts in the fairing. Also, when I ordered the fairing I requested the least amount of cutout possible for the turn signals. We took care to line up the lower lines of the fairing with the upper lines of the tank.

I cleaned up all of the welds with a Dremel tool, lightly sanded the fairing mount with 200 grit sandpaper, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, sprayed it with gray etching primer for aluminum, and then sprayed it with the final black coat which is black wrinkle paint cooked in the oven at 130 degrees. All of the paints were readily available at the local auto parts store. My wife was gone :mrgreen:

In taking off the sport fairing, headlight bracketry, and gauge backetry, I dropped 2.5 pounds. The fairing mount weighs 1.5 pounds, and the fairing weighs about 4 pounds. So, overall there was a total weight increase of 2.5 pounds.

ContraMoto
Basic User

Re: Rifle Superbike Fairing mount to an R12R

Post by ContraMoto »

If you have a few minutes, could you stop by my house and do that to my bike. :lol:

Really...excellent work. A beautiful finished product that works quite nicely with the bike. Well done.
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
ipokebadgers
Lifer
Donating Member #: 913

Post by ipokebadgers »

Looks great. Nice work!
2007 R1200R
2000 K1200LT(Gone)
1978 R100S (Gone but not forgotten)
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

Nice setup. Looks really good. The fairing is from an earlier year I think. What grade is the aluminum? From what I could see the fairing bolts straight to the frame...no mods to the fairing.?? Thanks for the post.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
NakedRider
Basic User

Post by NakedRider »

Absolutely superb job. It really came out nice.
BMW R1200R - White
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I agree. I particularly like how the fairing's lower accent fold (just below the turn signal) is aligned with the similar detail at the front edge of the tank. Very nicely done.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Not exactly a bolt on. Great job.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
highwaymanbw
Basic User

Post by highwaymanbw »

redwing wrote:What grade is the aluminum?
The aluminum is from my local big box hardware store, I don't know the grade. Cheap :mrgreen:
redwing wrote: From what I could see the fairing bolts straight to the frame...no mods to the fairing.??
The framework that we built bolts directly to the frame mounts of the fairing, except for the two holes we drilled in the bottom of the fairing to match up with our lower fairing mounts.
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

Nice job and great photo storey. You're a credit to the R1200 R forum.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS