Pillion handles, and luggage

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

denilj
Basic User

Pillion handles, and luggage

Post by denilj »

Hi there,

just bought a 2009 R1200R, in London, UK. Hope there are some Brits or British residents here for UK relevant intel.

I'm looking to do some 2-up and am after decent pillion handles, but cannot find anything. Do you have suggestions?

The dealer told me the native side-pannier rack comprises handles, but is that true? The BMW site equipment page is faulty.

I'd also like to add a top box. I know it doesn't look great but being a practical guy... And I can't get my head round the whole business: is there a simple rack + top box that can be found? How much is the BMW lot?

Thankful for your experiences.

Best regards,

D.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Re: Pillion handles, and luggage

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

D. You can take care of both problems by getting the luggage rack. This provides good handles for the pillion and also serves as the plinth (love that word :lol: ) for the oem top case. Can't help you with pricing in the mother country, as I'm here in the colonies.

Here's a pic of my bike with the rack installed. I don't use a top case, but you can see that on the BMW web site along with pricing. The seat is a BIll Mayer:

tobes
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by tobes »

The standard BMW rack and top case works great. There are handles, as shown in the photo below. The top case can be equipped with a back pad, also shown, for the passenger. It is rather expensive. Your dealer can provide the amount. But IMHO it fits the look of the bike very well and holds everything I need.

ImageTop case by mikeburawski, on Flickr
Mike
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

I'd advise getting the OEM equipment....it might cost just a bit more (although I'm not so sure of that unless you buy really cheap crap) but I think it's worth it. You can also get the top box keyed to your ignition key...nice to have. BTW, my girlfriend really likes the grab bars and the padded top case.

Here's my bike.....gives another angle to view the grab rails....

10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
denilj
Basic User

Post by denilj »

Hi guys,

thanks for that. Looks like the native stuff is the best, so that's how it'll be for me too.

Doesn't that bike look stunning?!

Been enjoying it so far? Anything in particular to warn me about?

D.
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

denilj wrote:Hi guys,

thanks for that. Looks like the native stuff is the best, so that's how it'll be for me too.

Doesn't that bike look stunning?!

Been enjoying it so far? Anything in particular to warn me about?
D.
YES !
You'll need lots of vacation time built up !

Also, unless you and the wife have been putting on lots of riding miles, you'll both get a sore arse from riding. If you'll ride regularly this will greatly reduce with miles so don't knee jerk into a new seat until you've put on a couple thousand in the saddle. My GF sits on a little air seat for trips over 100 miles.
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
denilj
Basic User

Post by denilj »

Hi Ric,

thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind and will ask my bum further down the line what his thoughts are.

D.
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

You will need 'Luggage Grid with Pillion Grab Handle £160.00'. They also do pannier rails which are very discrete but have no top rack.

Small BMW Topbox will take a single helmet and has superb quick detatchment ability - all by one key which can be matched to ignition key. Pricy at around £285!

Assume you are aware of BMW Motorrad website, though it is a little quirky.

Hope you enjoy your R1200R. They are great!

Brian
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

Incidently, and I may be a little eccentric here, but I like the fact that BMW cases can be left unlocked and only locked when you want to leave unattended. My Givi box, great though it was, always needed the key to open it. It is a practical detail which BMW oftenget right!

Brian
denilj
Basic User

Post by denilj »

Hi Brian,

I've heard the remark before re. locking.

The motorrad site is pretty annoying to me, no prices and all, but I'm in touch with the dealer. Still undecided as to the top box: despite the advantages you mentioned, 28L seems a tad small to me. I usually use a 35L Kriega rucksack and often fill it up. So I've asked for quotes for Givi boxes in the same range. I'll see.

D.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

another opinion.

I have and 2004 1150 roadster with a Hepco Becker 42l Journey box and the appropriate HB rack. It is fine and a good size. I've had it for north of 50k miles. I also have the OEM system cases. That arrangement works fine. The handles for the pillion are integrated into the system cases rack.

But, if I were to do it over again, for the topcase I would utilize one of the arrangements for using a Pelican-or similar- case, prob a 1560 or smaller. The reasons are flexibility and durability. I have ridden with friends who have Harley and Honda and Givi cases. The pelicans are tougher, it would appear. Better hinges, more ergonomic off the bike, and a rectangular interior mean for me easier utilization. The other thing is that with the Pelican cases, there are so many sizes, and they are not that expensive, esp when compared to the OEM stuff or after market GIVIs. I could have a couple of different sizes for different purposes and switch them out as needed. For example there could be a camera case size, or a camping size, using the same rack attachment. The only necessary addition would be the locking flange on the case itself. BTW, I have a 1450 that I use for a camera case now, so I have real world comparison to the HB.

I am sure this would not work for everyone, and for many a single one size fits all arrangement would be just fine--as mine has been for a long time, but again, if I were to do it again, I would strongly investigate that Pelican arrangement.

just my 2 cents

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
denilj
Basic User

Post by denilj »

Hi Dr,

could you post a pix of your roadster with the HB topbox? I do like square topboxes (Givi do one as well, 33l or 46l), but I wonder what it looks like on a naked, as it seems more adapted to the look of a GS for instance, i-e more rugged.

Also, have you noticed any difference in the bike handling between a square box and a rounder one, if at all?

D.
Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Post by Sander Abernathy »

I would go with the OEM side case mounts wiith the integral handles. However, another option that might be worth considering is to swap out the 2006 to 2010 tail piece for the new one off the 2011...assuming they are interchageable. They integrated grab handles into the 2011. Here's a link to an album I posted previously that includes pictures of the tail section of the bike.

https://picasaweb.google.com/saber103/E ... directlink
Last edited by Sander Abernathy on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

denilj wrote:Hi Dr,

could you post a pix of your roadster with the HB topbox? I do like square topboxes (Givi do one as well, 33l or 46l), but I wonder what it looks like on a naked, as it seems more adapted to the look of a GS for instance, i-e more rugged.

Also, have you noticed any difference in the bike handling between a square box and a rounder one, if at all?

D.
Hi, D

this link has lots of pix of the bike with the HB. Most pix are w the bike loaded, but there are a few that it is nearly naked except for the box; just scroll through and you will see many in real life situations. If you want specific detail, just ask and I will post.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18093

The HB is rounded, complementary to the system cases that are on the bike. The Pelican and the like are squared. I have not attached my Pelican camera case to the HB rack. I was saying that it might be an attractive alternative to other boxes. Can't address handling differences square vs round, but I suspect it is more of a weight up high factor than anything else.
The 42 l is a good size for me... the goldilocks size.

The bike is more flickable without the case, but not so much of a difference that I take it off. It is just too practical for me. I bought a Pelican insert and adapted it to the HB and carry my photo equipment in there as well as my laptop. So that when I travel, all electronics go in the HB. Safely so far.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates