The Akropovic Tune

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

peckhammer
Basic User

The Akropovic Tune

Post by peckhammer »

Just bought the Akropovic titanium slip-on. I was worried that it would be too loud, having purchased after market exhaust systems in the past and hating them after 30 minutes. Not this time. As others have said, it's pretty close to the volume of the OEM muffler, though that is a little subjective since I didn't measure with a decibel meter. It reminds me of a stock BMW from the late '70s, or early '80s.

Since I had some time this evening, I took some close up footage of the Akropovic titanium slip-on muffler, and mixed in some sound that i recorded this afternoon. Here is the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJIUFaYF8sY

The sound track includes the sound at idle, and while riding through the city. The baffles are installed. Keep in mind that this is the sound from the back of the bike. The rider will perceive the sound as much quieter because they are ahead of the sound, and presumably wearing a helmet. I found the sound to be pleasant, and not the least bit obnoxious.
>--
Peckhammer
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
Faylo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 978

Re: The Akropovic Tune

Post by Faylo »

Sounds nice! Do you notice any improvement in performance?
2010 BMW R1200R Alpine White (Need another. :()
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

Faylo wrote:Do you notice any improvement in performance?
It makes me want to wring the throttle for the pure amusement of the sound, so yeah, the bike is faster now. ;)

But seriously, I am not noticing any dramatic change. In fact, I think it actually emphasises a surge that was already there, and if you listen to the soudtrack, you'll hear a few pops that I never noticed before. I'll be perfectly honest: this is $800 worth of ear candy, with a modest savings in weight and size. It is very well made, but it stinks like candles that were just blown out. Hopefully that smell will go a way after a few rides.

>--
Peckhammer
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
Faylo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 978

Post by Faylo »

I notice a little popping on decel with a stock exhaust and if you are experiencing more then I'd say the exhaust is less restrictive and thus more efficient? Would it be wise to reset the ECU and let it re-learn with the new exhaust?
2010 BMW R1200R Alpine White (Need another. :()
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
dav
Lifer
Donating Member #: 798

Post by dav »

Mate, i have to say you know how to shot a bloody good vid =D> .
2009 R1200R
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

Faylo wrote:I notice a little popping on decel with a stock exhaust and if you are experiencing more then I'd say the exhaust is less restrictive and thus more efficient? Would it be wise to reset the ECU and let it re-learn with the new exhaust?
If I recall, this requires removing fuse number 5 (or 5th from left) for 30 seconds, replacing the fuse, turning on the ignition, opening and closing the throttle (fully on and fully off) several times, turning off ignition, and then starting the bike. Sound right?

>--
Peckhammer
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Sounds nice, and I always liked the look of the oval, two-tipped can to start with.

As far as fuses go, I am confused, frankly. I've never seen a fuse box on my bike and thought fuses were eliminated by the CANBUS?
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

hjsbmw wrote:I've never seen a fuse box on my bike and thought fuses were eliminated by the CANBUS?
Yeah, I must have been thinking of the older R bikes.
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
LumpyCam
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by LumpyCam »

peckhammer wrote:it stinks like candles that were just blown out. Hopefully that smell will go a way after a few rides.
Yep, smell goes away, but it takes about 400mi from my experience.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

peckhammer wrote:it's pretty close to the volume of the OEM muffler, though that is a little subjective since I didn't measure with a decibel meter.
I used a decibel app on the iPhone before/after and measured 100dB with the stock can and 102db with the Akrapovic. Conditions were an enclosed garage and blipping the throttle to 4,000 rpm.

It is significantly louder with baffles out but i haven't measured that yet for comparison.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

I reset the ECU this morning as follows:

1. Disconnected the battery negative lead for 30 seconds
2. Reconnected and turn the ignition on (did NOT start the bike)
3. Opened the throttle from fully closed to fully open - repeated twice
4. Switched the ignition off
5. Started the bike

The surge I had been experiencing disappeared. So did the "pops" while decelerating. There is a very noticeable difference in the way the bike runs now, i.e. improvement. I still am not sure if there is a performance gain, and without a dyno my perception is only subjective. The bike does seem to pull a little harder. That said, I am riding solo today, so maybe the absence of my 114lb woman is the reason the bike feels faster. :shock:

Additional Note: after riding today, I can see definite signs of the bike running lean yesterday. The pipes have yellowed, and so have the inlets of the Akrapovic. I noticed five bars on the temp gauge at every light yesterday; today only four. No pops today, no surging today. So, if you change your muffler, be sure to reset the ECU.

>--
Peckhammer
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
ipokebadgers
Lifer
Donating Member #: 913

Post by ipokebadgers »

I never thought I would be calling a video about a slip-on exhaust can classy, but dang, that was art! I am not sure how you made a muffler look sexy, but you did.

I do not need a new exhaust, I do not need a new exhaust, I do not need a new exhaust, I do not need a new exhaust, I do not need a new exhaust... I am thinking if I say it enough I will believe it.

Great video. Thanks for taking the time to make it and share it.

Sean
2007 R1200R
2000 K1200LT(Gone)
1978 R100S (Gone but not forgotten)
Grumps
Basic User

Post by Grumps »

Terrific video. I reset the ECU and now find my service reminder is displayed, which happened the last time I disconnected my battery. Any advice - beyond living with it until the next time I visit my dealer? Thanks, Peter
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Grumps wrote:Terrific video. I reset the ECU and now find my service reminder is displayed, which happened the last time I disconnected my battery. Any advice - beyond living with it until the next time I visit my dealer? Thanks, Peter
A GS-911 diagnostic tool will clear the service reminder.
Bill
Grumps
Basic User

Post by Grumps »

Thanks, Bill. I think given the price I'll live with the reminder. Peter
LumpyCam
Basic User

Post by LumpyCam »

peckhammer wrote:I reset the ECU this morning as follows:
I did the reset too a few days after the Akrapovic install and it definitely runs better for me too. It was idling hot in traffic - now back to normal. I was also getting a tonne of popping on backdown (which was fun) - now back to levels consistent with the stock can.

Used the same procedure as Peckhammer minus the battery detachment. Just on, throttle twice, off, on, start.
Dan
R1200R Alumni
The Daily Rider
M249Joe
Basic User
Donating Member #: 931

Post by M249Joe »

Ordered a Akropovic slip on and installed it today. Very nice.

Re set the engine by on, throttle twice, off, on, start.

Baffles in seem too quiet for me. Installed they are slightly louder than stock. Pulled 'em out and it's a nice deep tone. At cruising speed you hear more wind than then exhaust. Taking off and shifting @5k is a nice deep sound louder then stock.

Test ride reviled a smooth acceleration with out any slight hesitation spots I experienced before.

I'm very happy.
07 R1200R, 12 S1000RR, 75 R90/6, 67 R50/2, 75 R90S
83 Suzuki GS1100E
07 Honda 450x
1978 Suzuki TS125