Lowered Handlebars

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

MrPMS
Double Lifer

Lowered Handlebars

Post by MrPMS »

I finally have photos on Photobucket but can't figure out how to connect to this post from my Mac. Can someone please explain step-by-step??
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Lowered Handlebars

Post by ka5ysy »

Good morning... it is easy:

The easy way to do it is to open two windows: One with this board showing, and one with the photobucket display showing the photo you want to work with.

Point your cursor at whatever photo you want to post on this board in the photobucket window.

Photobucket will display a list of four possible links that you can select.

The one labled "IMG Code" is what you want.

Point your cursor at that link and click it. It will show a message "copied" sometime it might not actually copy, but you can copy the actual link by selecting it and using the "Command-C" or using the "Copy" selection in the "Edit" menu bar.

Go back to the board page where you are typing a "new message" or editing one of your posts, and click on the position you want your cursor to appear.

Since you are on the Mac, do a standard "paste" using the "Command-V" key sequence or select the "Paste" command in the "edit" menu bar.

Click on the submit key on here for your message and the photo will appear in your post. What is happening is that the BBS software actually links in the photobucket picture on the fly.
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

Mirrors from 800GS...or is that the new mirror for the R...?
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

Just helping. :D

'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

MrPMS,

Can you turn the bars to full lock? Or do the turn signal switches hit the tank?
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Really cool. I was wondering the same thing about the controls hitting. I am guessing the reverse bar backs from Moto Techniques is to address that issue? Also, I probably wouldn't need my tall windscreen with the tilt block since this is sitting more forward and down. What kind of windscreen do you have that attaches over the headlamp? Looks like a different seat too.

Thanks!
-John K.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

To answer your questions,nothing hits the tank at full lock, the windshield is a Wunderlich with a "Don C" block and slightly modified top mounts. The seat is a Bill Mayer that I found on Ebay
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

Nice windshield - I haven't seen it before.

I have the Moto Techniques risers installed the other way but my switches were about the same distance from the tank as yours. I tipped my bike over in the garage (with the lawn tractor) and the right-hand switches dented the tank. I recommend rotating the bars so the controls are a little farther from the tank if possible.

A PDR guy worked on the tank for about 45 minutes and couldn't improve the dents at all.
Lynn
2007 R1200R, Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Sargent seat, Givi PLX cases
1981 KZ1100A1
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Thanks for the heads-up. I always assumed "a miss is as good as a mile", but apparently the fork stops are not bulletproof. Does anyone know more about how much they can be trusted? For that matter, where the heck are they?? I can't seem to see them, but they must be up under the steering head somewhere.
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Alright, I now see them and they look fairly robust to me. However, I'd give up a few degrees of steering for more clearance...maybe a spot of weld on each side of the steel frame tab?
ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

MrPMS wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. I always assumed "a miss is as good as a mile", but apparently the fork stops are not bulletproof. Does anyone know more about how much they can be trusted? For that matter, where the heck are they?? I can't seem to see them, but they must be up under the steering head somewhere.
The fork stop is part of the top fork brace/"triple tree." It is soft cast steel and a hard turn of the fork can and will break off the stop. I know this, as I did it to BOTH sides of my last GS. If you plan on dropping your bike now and then, these are a good investment:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 01362.html
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

My fork stops are OK. I assume it was a little flexing in the handlebar and the whole system between the end of the handlebar and the fork stop that caused the controls to hit the tank. Afterward, the handlebar still stopped where it did before.

Lynn
2007 R1200R, Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Sargent seat, Givi PLX cases
1981 KZ1100A1
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

So now I've installed the Wunderlich fork stops and they do an excellent job. They are extremely well engineered and built, easily installed, and limit and soften steering lock just enough to provide a safety margin between the switchgear and tank with the lower and narrower F800ST bars, which are now mounted without the MT offsets but only using the riser portion of these pieces. (photos coming shortly) The FS's also eliminate the "bang" I used to feel when maneuvering from lock-to-lock in the garage or while parking, giving the bike a much more sophisticated feel at these times.
I also filed a very small amount off the bottom of the sharp-edged turn signal "flippers" just to be on the safe side...
To conclude, thanks for all the valuable input from the members of this site and to Wunderlich for their outstanding service and expertly designed accessories. The modifications made to the handle bars and windshield have transformed the R1200R into a machine I can ride all day, and still love.... Its now light, responsive, comfortable, quiet, and finally fits me perfectly!