What IS or ARE the solution(s) to increase power engine ?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

dorian353
Basic User

What IS or ARE the solution(s) to increase power engine ?

Post by dorian353 »

Hi,

I have a R1200R, and I would to know the radical solutions to increase the power engine on my bike ?

Many of people tell that change the exhaust, do not really increase the power.

How can we do ? I would like to increase arround 15 or 20 CV.

People who are modified their motorcycle, can you tell us your solutions ?

Thanks
zei220
Donating Member #: 0

Re: What IS or ARE the solution(s) to increase power engine

Post by zei220 »

I think you need something like a power commander for any real gains, but i don't think you'll get anywhere near 15-20 bhp extra.
dave
Last edited by zei220 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

Buy an S1000RR, K1200RR or an HP2 Megamoto. It is foolish and pointless to try to "hop up" an R1200R.
Last edited by xprof on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

xprof wrote:Buy an S1000RR. It is foolish and pointless to try to "hop up" an R1200R.
But when did 'foolish and pointless' get in the way of shadetree modifications. ;-)

BTW: dorian - Where do you live? Seems you forgot to fill out your profile.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
bimmerguy
Basic User

Post by bimmerguy »

Yes, you can change exhaust, K&N airfilter, power commander but you are fighting an uphill battle. More HP requires more compression, taller cams, better spark, better fuel delivery. It's a tradeoff. More mods, more stuff to fix on the side of the road.
Rhinewest makes chips for them but you will be making your bulletproof motor less reliable.

I sold my 178mph Blackbird {2nd one} and bought boxer RTP1100, at first I thought it was a pig, till I hit the twisties and found it corners great, not peaky on the throttle, progressive power build and no surprises.
Buy a second bike{sportbike} to go way fast, then when you want to just ride without your hair being on fire, jump on your BMW.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Add two cylinders and four valves. :badgrin:
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
dutchie
Lifer
Donating Member #: 855

Post by dutchie »

Buy a 2011 R1200R ! I was wondering how to soup this up as well. After 800 miles I now think its pointless. This machine just flys, It seems to go as fast as I want it to. For the street you couldn't ask for more.
Faylo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 978

Post by Faylo »

I believe we have reached the point where to go faster, it is best to shave weight in lieu of strictly power gains. These new engines are pretty much as hopped up as you can get. They are efficient with fuel delivery and usage and are running such high compressions that that avenue is out except for the most dedicated racers. Tuning may be the only thing left and that is available for mucho dollars, knowledge and testing. Bolt on doesn't work like it used to. Free up the intake, exhaust and tuning. Most of the new stock engine management systems will take care of the tuning with a reduced restriction in the intake and exhaust and the tuning available in the aftermarket involves further leaning to achieve more power. A dangerous method without equipment to monitor fuel/air ratios at various throttle and usage conditions.

I would think some lighter wheels would make a nice improvement, but I recon that our wheels are already pretty light as is.
-Jim
2010 BMW R1200R Alpine White (Need another. :()
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

Unless you're a professional rider, you can't ride this bike as fast as it will go.

At the Triumph demo day I went to, the guy from Triumph that led the group demo rides is a professional rider. He was on a Bonneville...not the most scintillating power/weight ratio machine around. I was on a Speed Triple, there was another Speed Triple and a guy I know who does a little privateer racing was on a Street Triple.

When we got to the fast twisty road, the guy on the Bonneville was GONE...so fast and so effortlessly that I was just stunned. He accelerated faster, cornered faster, hit the straights faster.... I thought I could drive the Triple pretty fast, but Bonneville guy was going SO MUCH faster than I was remotely comfortable going. I stayed with him for one brief straightaway but got scared sh*tless and slowed down. We back in the group were just shaking our heads. The "slowest" bike in the bunch, riding the diapers off the rest of us.

Anyway, an R1200R does NOT need more power in the hands of us mortals.
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
stiffness
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by stiffness »

Dear Sir,
Agree with the previuos comments. But for what it is worth you could always check out the spec and interchangeability of components of the "S" engine. I have read that Wunderlich Germany have a wide range of performance enhancing kit(s), might be worth looking at their website?
Cheers
Stephen
http://www.wunderlich.de/International/
Are we there yet ?!
ErikM
Basic User

Post by ErikM »

The best way to make the bike go way way way faster... lot's and lots of track time..If you just want the bike to go faster in a straight line, which of course takes pretty much zero skill.. then buy a Japanese liter bike, or a S1000RR
dorian353
Basic User

Post by dorian353 »

Thank you for your answers, but the subject of my post is a technical question, and I would like a technical answer (like few posts : thank you).
But many of people give their opinion of my subject.
The purpose of a subject placed on a forum is to have the answers about it, and not personal opinions, sorry, because you do not answer the question.

Thanks for your understanding.
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

New headers, slip-on, air-filter and a powercommander. If you wanna go radical, investigate the feasability of swapping the engine for a R1200S which if I remember correctly has 122hp.
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Nitrous Oxide injector system and maybe turbos ?
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

dorian353 wrote:Thank you for your answers, but the subject of my post is a technical question, and I would like a technical answer (like few posts : thank you).
The purpose of a subject placed on a forum is to have the answers about it, and not personal opinions, sorry, because you do not answer the question.

Well said!!
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
NakedRider
Basic User

Post by NakedRider »

dorian353 wrote:Thank you for your answers, but the subject of my post is a technical question, and I would like a technical answer (like few posts : thank you).

Give the guys at San Jose BMW a call. They know about as much as anyone in regards to possible performance gains.
BMW R1200R - White
r12gecko
Basic User

Post by r12gecko »

The best thing to make your bike go faster is to learn how to ride it. I was at a stop last week when a guy on a 600 whatever roared out from behind me on the green light. I paced him to a highway ramp curve and expected to continue to see the back of him, but then he rolled off throttle and coasted, seemingly without any appreciation of his bike's real capability (or his own). I passed him at not-too-steep an angle without effort - maybe he was surprised at a boat like the R1200 with full panniers & top box gracefully passing him like that... we'll never know. I just thought "Now there's a guy who could use a track day & some decent instruction."
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
ErikM
Basic User

Post by ErikM »

I'm sorry no answered your question the way you wanted it answered. But the truth is I doubt anyone here is Stupid enough to have bought the R1200R expecting to be able to add 20 hp to a bike that's as dialed in as it is. I suspect most intelligent folks who wanted a naked BMW with 150+ hp would have bought a K1300R (or K1200R) which has the power out of the box that you seem to want? I guess my question is why didn't you buy the correct bike to do what you wanted?
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

This is not the forum for the sort of enhancement you are wanting. You would most likely be better off at a site like the pelican parts forum
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r110 ... ech-forum/.
Many of the alterations for the "S" can be adapted to work on the "R". The people there are more inclined to think "Out Of The Box".

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

dorian - the main problem with these forums is, in a case such as this, no one on here knows your experience building modified machines. You may be an experienced mechanic with many GP level engines under your belt or you may be a person that has to have someone else change your oil and adjust your valves. Most of the older guys on the list have a pretty good idea of how deep the other old guys get into their machines. Personally I have a hard time turning an untrained person loose on a $16k machine with an adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers or a set of wire cutters and a soldering iron.

SO - what is your background and do you intend to do your own work or have someone else do it. Do you have the tools and facilities to remove your engine from the frame pull the heads and most likely the cam.
Last edited by mogu83 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358