CeeBaileys needs our help, there is a big payoff for all

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Chumley
Basic User
Donating Member #: 138

CeeBaileys needs our help, there is a big payoff for all

Post by Chumley »

I have recently revisited corresponding with CeeBaileys about their windscreen design. I believe that enough of us have contacted them and it appears a new windscreen design is headed our way but Joe needs help.

I hope I do not upset Joe but his correspondence to me stated that he has several molds ready to go that will move the upper edge of the screen back 5" closer to the riders head and increases the angle. poo! This is too good but it is true. Here is the e-mail:

John,

I’ve been working diligently on a new version that will fit all models 2005-20012. We’ve made three new molds including a full sized design that should be effective even for the sports brackets. The shields part numbers are all the same for all years but the brackets are different for the 2010 and up. We’ve received numerous requests for the later models and it’s really starting to make me sick. I’ve had the later model bracket on order for two months and it’s still not due until mid to late January. To make matters even worse the BMW listing is screwed up because they list the earlier bracket for the later model but if you scroll down ten more items it lists the correct part number. That’s ok because at this point and time I’d have better luck at hitting the Lottery than getting my hands on a R1200R. Getting a K1600 GT was easy but I can’t seem to find the R1200R unless we buy the bike and I’ve exhausted all my resources. Heck all we need is the earlier model preferably with a touring bracket that’s already installed for a week or two and we’ll be golden.

The late model bracket appears to be no different that the earlier bracket except for different mounting configurations. I’m more than certain that the main issue is the distance between the shields trailing edge and riders face. I’ve completed the newest version yesterday for what should be the final mold with a radical angle change. I hard to say for certain but the trailing edge is almost five inches closer to the rider now and if this doesn’t do the trick nothing will. The second design was sent out and reported to be a significant improvement over the original. This shields rake angle was about two inches closer than the original but we needed it even closer so now we just finished mold number three. I’m giving 10-1 that this will be the goose to lay the golden egg but with out a bike I’m dead in the water. Performance is the main objective but good aesthetics are just as important and any good chef will tell you that if it pleases the eye it will please the appetite.

It’s getting really redundant for me to say too bad you’re not a local; it’s not a question of if it’s a question of when. When I do get this bike in our possession I’ll dial it in and the rest will be history. Maybe you could assist in finding us a donor if so I’ll make it worth the effort for all but until that comes I remain dead in the water.

Can you assist?

THX

Joe

Well, can we help?
I don't know of a break in period for life, I guess I'll just live it like I stole it.
Member #138
Chumley
Basic User

Re: CeeBaileys needs our help, there is a big payoff for all

Post by Chumley »

Follow up e-mail from Joe at CeeBaileys. This is pretty much what "tinytrains" posted earlier.

If I get anything out of the deal I will donate it to the site for a raffle or something like that. I just want a windscreen that works right out of the box and looks nice and am willing to pay my own way.

E-mail:
John,

Thanks for your persistence and support, feel free to post. Its funny when we post and get no interest but when an active member does it makes all the difference. This is a pretty sweet deal for the right guy who needs some extra cash and lots of goodies for the holidays.

Here’s the deal on our offer and if you find me a donor there a couple of shields off anything listed on out site:

• Two weeks or less 10 business days rental pays 500.00 cash
• Two comp shields for the bike
• One comp shield for any other shield listed on our site
• One comp headlight guard
• One comp cleaning kit
• Loaner bike to ride home (2010 KLR 650) new tires, battery and just dealer serviced less than 5,000 miles
• Full liability assumed in the unlikely event of any damage
• Comp seat recover or rebuild if requested for any bike

• Bike stays parked in our 60,000 foot secured warehouse
• Bike will only be used for local road tests and pictures, less than 100 miles give or take a few
• Bike will be parked the majority of the time
• 2009 or earlier and must have the touring bracket
• We can pick up and deliver with in a fifty mile radius of Los Angeles
• We we’ll care for the bike as it was our own

All I need is one so hopefully we can get lucky

THX

Joe

e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (800) 788-0618
I don't know of a break in period for life, I guess I'll just live it like I stole it.
Member #138
Chumley
Basic User

Post by Chumley »

To clarify the request by CeeBaileys as I understand it. They are looking for a 2010 and earlier version now with the factory BMW touring screen bracket. Apparently the screen will fit the newer models easily so they are looking for earlier models. I believe thay would be happy with any model from what I understand so they can test the final windshield rake setting.

I have seen the pictures of the 2011/2012 version and the tester's comments and CeeBaileys is making the changes that many of us have been asking for or making for ourselves. It appears to be basically the same as the old style just designed to clear the instruments, lay back further and ends closer to the rider's head. The tester's report said that the upper body protections was good, meaning it is wide enough to protect the shoulders too. Also no headlight glare on the bottom edge reported. I hope that it works as well for me since we are all different.

This literally came along just before I made my own riser block. I just purchased a block of delrin at TAP Plastics and some aluminum plate to modify the bracket rear mounting points themselves. I just wanted to try them one last time and they were already at work on it. I will now wait for the new screen since it looks like the most viable solution.

They just need a test bike.
Member #138
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

John,

Where are they located? I know it's not on my coast or I'd be very tempted to just take a week and ride there..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Chumley
Basic User

Post by Chumley »

Don,

Sorry for the delay. I actually went for a ride today. It's been a bad year for actually getting out and riding for me. It was about 65 deg out today which is pretty good around here for December so I lit out.

Anyway, CeeBaileys is in Montebello, CA which is right next to Los Angeles I believe.

It's funny that now that they need a bike they can't find one where just a year or two ago they populated all of the loaner fleets out here.

It looks like a total of about $500 cash and about $600 to $700 in merchandise is being offered. I certainly understand being cautious about loaning my bike out since I am reserved about these kinds of things (yes I edited earlier post) but CeeBaileys is one of the best at this business. I am still extremely impressed that they are performing a redesign, I have just not heard of this before. Apparently they are paying attention.
Member #138
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Chumley wrote:Don,

Sorry for the delay. I actually went for a ride today. It's been a bad year for actually getting out and riding for me. It was about 65 deg out today which is pretty good around here for December so I lit out.

Anyway, CeeBaileys is in Montebello, CA which is right next to Los Angeles I believe.
Yup.. not my coast, but I might be out there in June on the bike (making up for last year's trip via Cayenne..)

It's funny that now that they need a bike they can't find one where just a year or two ago they populated all of the loaner fleets out here.
I know there are several inmates from here in LA area (and Orange County) since I had dinner with them last Thanksgiving.. Frede? Are you here?

It looks like a total of about $500 cash and about $600 to $700 in merchandise is being offered. I certainly understand being cautious about loaning my bike out since I am reserved about these kinds of things (yes I edited earlier post) but CeeBaileys is one of the best at this business. I am still extremely impressed that they are performing a redesign, I have just not heard of this before. Apparently they are paying attention.
I'm glad to see they're paying attention also... be great to have a source of out-of-the-box shields that just "work"..
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

What is his email. My 2007 could use something to do for a while. I'm in So Cal or did he find someone already?
I finally got got an RT!
'11 R1200R Classic, '07 R12R, '99 R1100R. Gone but not forgotten
Chumley
Basic User

Post by Chumley »

Daveyator,

Here is Joe's info.

e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (800) 788-0618

I haven't heard that he has found somebody yet.

Good luck and thank you from me. I want that new screen.
Member #138
Chumley
Basic User

Post by Chumley »

Hey All,

This has yet to be confirmed Monday but it appears one of the members here is loaning his bike to CeeBaileys so they are going to be providing a windscreen for the site. I assume it will be R1200R specific to get the new design out there.

I notified site owner Doug about the possibility of the windscreen coming and he appears to be okay with the thought of doing this on the site. More info to come.

I am happy that we may finally be getting a new screen that works right out of the box. Of course we will not know how it works for each one of us individually so I don't think Don C should scrap his design.
Member #138
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

It's nice to see this is finally happening! Even though I am on a different steed now, I like to pop in once in awhile and see what's up with you guys. This was a pleasant surprise, and I'll follow this with interest. Good on Cee Bailey's for giving it the effort.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

Hey Hey
I'm the one taking my bike to Joe at Cee Bailey's on Mon. Its almost embarrassing how much he offered me for a few weeks of use of my bike. I'm more excited to see what they come up with for a new windshield than getting stuff out of them but a totally nice gesture just the same. He said he's down to 3 molds and that one of them is probably the winner.Thanks again Chumley for letting us know about this.
I finally got got an RT!
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

This is GREAT !!!!!! The list works with a vendor to make life better for all RR riders. Can we do a quick review? This new CB shield will hopefully fix all the problems of previous options. It will require that we have the OEM touring shield mount for attachment, right?

I could get interested in this. My bike has the little peanut sport shield, so I'll need to get the new mount. Is this easy to source from the dealer? Or is there an alternative? How much of a deal is it to switch the mounts out? I'd likely want to run the sport shield except for long trips and cold weather season. Can someone offer a primer on the swap?

Looking forward to a report in a couple of weeks =D>
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

It is great, and fun to read about, but...

[grinch]

A windshield's performance is determined in large part by the rider's preference, rider size (lower body, upper body, arm length), rider position (seat shape, height, and body angle), footpeg position, and shield mounting height and tilt. That's a lot of variables.

Thus, I'm not confident that even the well-meaning folks at Cee Bailey's will be able to create a screen that fits and works for everyone right out of the box. They may be able to improve the screen angle problem that many of us address with spacers under the lower mount, but there's a lot more going on that just that.

[/grinch]
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Agreed Dbrick. But this is the first time anyone has listened to users and made the effort to address the concerns you mention. I will remain hopeful.
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

Well my bike is now at Cee Bailey's. I'm excited to see what the final windshield looks like. Joe says he's addressing the extra rakes that we all seem to like. We may see a shield that tilts farther back at the top compared to the bottom. Not sure I should have ridden the KLR back in the heavy rain we had in so cal but it was kinda fun...I think!
I finally got got an RT!
Chumley
Basic User

Post by Chumley »

Bob,

I share your enthusiasm. But have to moderate it a bit and like dbrick I am not thinking that it is going to solve all problems and will be ready to tweak it a bit. The only aftermarket shield that really does it all perfectly is Aeroflow and they don't make a screen kit for our bike. It would probably entail 3 or more screens and deflectors and cost $400 or so. I still am hopeful that it will work and cure most all of my issues right out of the box. It could certainly be a huge step forward but I am not saying someone creative like Don C and the Ferguson block creator will be out of business.

The screen will fit on the factory BMW touring screen mounts. I hear that they are the same except for the mounting locations on the bike itself.

Here's to hoping... :D
Member #138
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I can address the 2011 and newer BMW mount vs the 2010 and prior mounts (mounted one for a friend on his new '11 R12R):

- The 2011 mount is more difficult to mount. It requires R&R of the headlight to get to the screws that hold the bottom mount to the triple-tree.
- The 2011 mount will be easier to tilt then the earlier mount. The upper mounting points are on the sides of the triple-tree rather then on the top.. so that part can very simply swivel. The bottom mount is a metal piece about 1.5x2" with two holes in it where bolts go through that go up into captive nuts on a piece extending from the triple tree. It would be trivial (actually was - I did it) to make an extension for this piece allowing the bottom to swivel out, angling the screen top back toward the rider.
- The angle of the stock 2011 mount and the earlier mount appear to be the same.
- The instrument cluster of the 2011 bike is much further away from the screen, so moving the screen around or changing it's shape isn't the issue it can be on the earlier bikes.

Aside from the first issue of being more difficult to mount - IMHO - the 2011 mount is a better design. The tubing it's made from also looks to be a slightly larger diameter (but I didn't measure them, so can't swear to it..) And with a bit of cleverness - someone could easily make it an adjustable screen by making an adjustable coupling for the bottom mount.

I also have hope for the new CB design (and loaned my friend one of my screens so he didn't have to buy one - until the new CB is available..)
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

Well an update if anyone is interested. Joe called me today. The bad news is that all 3 of his final molds weren't good enough after test rides. Part of the problem apparently is the rake needed puts the edge of the shield way too close to the rider. The good news is that he pieced together a 4th shield and says it's the best yet. Now he simply needs to make a mold for it and test it for final tweaking. He also said it could morph into a touring type option with more lower protection and even a possible sport mount compatible version for those that don't have the touring mount but thats on the back burner until he gets this shield just right. He even rides with an open face helmet to "get the worst ride possible" which hopefully means the shield will be pretty nice. He's also grateful to have extended use of my bike and that use is allowing him to hopefully fully refine his new shield. I told him to use it as long as he needs.
I finally got got an RT!
Chumley
Basic User

Post by Chumley »

Daveyator,

I really want to personally thank you for doing this. It really looks more promising than I initially thought. CeeBaileys really appears committed to making this screen work for as many people as possible. I hope it really works that way, they are listening.

I would really like to thank Joe at CeeBaileys too. My feeling is that he is the driving force behind all of this. He is taking this seriously and willing to go the extra mile without holding back and not trying to somehow use the molds he had already made, that sounds like an honest effort. The fact that he may be preparing a special package of touring screen bits means he is listening and understands that there is a market out there. Many of us want the Roadster to be a flexible mount and for those of us that haven't gotten the air management right yet it is huge for the touring aspect.

I am cutting down and somewhat reshaping the windscreen that I do have and using it for summer so this will allow me to change with the seasons and use with just 4 screws.

I am really hopeful that this is all going to work well. I can't wait for a chance to ride with that new screen.

Again, thanks for making this possible.
Member #138
Chumley
Basic User

Post by Chumley »

Update for those who care.

I got an e-mail from Joe at CB and he said that the screen is giving him more problems than expected and he has tried over a dozen different designs to date. He feels that he has found the one that is most acceptable and is working on a screen to fit the sport screen mounts too.

To confirm that he has been listening he said he will be working on a version with extended lowers to work what many of us feel is the area that complicates the air management task. Just put your hand down around the top sides of the tank and you will see what I mean, it is deflecting a lot of air up at the rider. This will really push into what has traditionally been the domain of Aeroflow if he gets it dialed.

I think we are fortunate to have this redesign take place and even more interesting since we get to hear about it developing as it evolves. Joe said he thought this was going to be an easy one but it has proven to be anything but.

A few months ago I called and spoke with these same folks about possibly revising their screen for the Roadster. I was told that the design they already had sold well and it was more of a personal preference. I think that they received enough feedback that they found it worthwhile to make some changes and I give credit to those here and those others out there that called after the test ride that didn't leave them satisfied with their purchase.

Give credit where due to Joe at CB for taking the intiative to make the change and taking the heat for spending so much time on this, to Daveyator for letting CB use his bike for longer than expected, and hopefully to us when we buy these screens because they work (this last one is the big one - did they get it right for the majority of us after all of this effort).

The new screen should be out in mid January.
Member #138