Need right side case..

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Need right side case..

Post by deilenberger »

Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Need right side case..

Post by dbrick »

Excellent. Staying up is a Good Thing. :smt041

As to the case: I don't have one, but it is (as Mary would assess) a Type 1 problem: a check can be written to fix it.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Don - I have a right side lid but it's in primer. If it would help, I could loan it to you till you find something.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Harry - thanks.. The lid is still useable as is - just has an ugly dent in one of the back edges. The inner part of the case cracked and a chunk came out where it goes over the mount at the top.. That's worrisome to me since the bag might jump off if I hit a big enough bump..

As David said - Type-1 problem.. and the chap who ran into me has agreed to pay for it, I was just trying to save him some money... guess I gotta call the FLD and see what a new one costs (best price I've seen is $427 before shipping, no lockset on eBay from a dealer..)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I can tell you from personal experience a big bump (the bending both rims kind) that the bags will come off or be damaged. When I hit a fence post in the road (long story) the right bag broke loose and ended up in the N. Platte river the latch on the back of the left bag snapped off. I know some people pin the bags on to the bike, but I reconsidered. My thought was that in some situations, like getting hit from behind in the saddle bag you might be better off having the bag snap off if that prevented the impact from reaching the bike and saving it from going down.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

mogu83 wrote:I can tell you from personal experience a big bump (the bending both rims kind) that the bags will come off or be damaged. When I hit a fence post in the road (long story) the right bag broke loose and ended up in the N. Platte river the latch on the back of the left bag snapped off. I know some people pin the bags on to the bike, but I reconsidered. My thought was that in some situations, like getting hit from behind in the saddle bag you might be better off having the bag snap off if that prevented the impact from reaching the bike and saving it from going down.
That's pretty much exactly what happened.. I barely felt the impact on the bike, but the bag got tossed about 15 feet ahead of me into the road. The cop car it almost hit was pretty funny. He very carefully pretended he didn't see a thing (guess he didn't want to deal with idiots out riding in low temps in December.. go figure..) Might be BMW was on the ball with the design - the other rider (who you know - not an R12R rider..) also stayed upright.
snag
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 639

Post by snag »

Harry,

Hadn't thought about the negative side of pinning the cases to their mounts. I'm thinking that replacing the pins with plastic wire ties might provide the desired security and yet shear when impacted.

Just a thought.

Doug
Plea bargaining does have its advantages.
'08 12R
'79 CBX
'74 CB750