Hangin It Up

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

ShinySideUp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Hangin It Up

Post by ShinySideUp »

Ladies and Gentlemen -

This is most likely my last post with all you good folks.

My 2007 silver R12R is now just a pile of parts.

Having gotten totaled by a cager, I've taken it all down, which was an interesting exercise, and I'm eager to sell it all off so I can finally reclaim my half of the garage.

You can see if there's anything you want at my garage sale here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71474597@N02/sets/

And, yes, I'll post this properly in the For Sale section, but I just wanted to extend a big thank you to all you folks from whom I've learned and shared about this marvelous machine.

Most likely my next ride will be an electric one. Just gotta try something without all those parts!

Have a great new year. :D

Bill in San Francisco
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
2wheelfish
Lifer

Re: Hangin It Up

Post by 2wheelfish »

Sorry to hear. Sent PM.
2009 BMW R1200R, 2008 Vespa GTS 250
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

PM sent as well. Bill, sorry to hear this, however, at least you are still in one piece.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

Hi Bill,
Might re-think it...but moving to something you like is best.
Have sent PM about a farkel. Might post in the For Sale Section ...?? Lots of nice stuff...need more money though.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Happy trails, Bill. All the best.
Bill
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

Sorry to hear that you are giving up riding. Maybe somewhere down the road you will get another bike.

PM sent

Roger L
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

roger l wrote:Sorry to hear that you are giving up riding. Maybe somewhere down the road you will get another bike.

PM sent

Roger L
I think he's looking at an electric bike. Which in Sf might be a cool doable idea. While cool not practical for me as I live in the middle of nowhere.
ShinySideUp wrote: Most likely my next ride will be an electric one. Just gotta try something without all those parts!

Have a great new year. :D

Bill in San Francisco
Bill, Glad you're ok. Happy trails to a site charter member =D>

Best regards and carry on, Keith
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Bill - glad you're ok, bummer about the wreck.

1. Not sure what kind of electric bike you're looking for, but BRD is going to be releasing their Red Shift supermoto next year. They're based here in SF. I had a chance to chat with Mark (one of the founders) last week, and he was super cool. The bike sounds like it's going to be very interesting, especially for round-towning.

2. Looks like your bike was well set up, which leads me to my next point. I'll email, but I'm really interested in the following bits. I'm in SF too - so I can shave you the trouble of shipping. :lol:

-Bash plate.
-Front fender extender. Hell, maybe the back one too.
-Final drive slider.
-Crash bars? Yuk yuk. :lol:

I'm kinda curious about that shorty pipe, too.
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

It is always sad when someone decides to "hang it up." Did the same thing 45 years ago. Changed my mind 28 years later. So you never know. Who says we get smarter as we get older?

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Nice meeting you today, Bill - and thanks for swinging by my office with pieces of your bike. Looking forward to uglying up my Classic a bit with that bash plate. 8)
tl440
Lifer

Post by tl440 »

Bill, after my unplanned dismount in January I vowed never to ride again. While I was mending, the dealer was restoring my bike to showroom condition. I put it on consignment. Recovered, I got to thinking -- maybe a Spyder, then maybe a cruiser --Virago 1100 or Victory, then I got the hots for an F800. Didn't buy any of them. About May, I took my R12R off consignment. Since then, in addition to the familiar local stuff, I've ridden to Bend and returned via SR3. That got me curious about the Trinity Alps so I did the Salmon River a few months later. not the mileage I've done in the past, and i'll probably do less in the future.

Not bragging or suggesting, just telling. I hope all turns out well for you.

Dave
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

ShinySideUp wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen -

.........Most likely my next ride will be an electric one. Just gotta try something without all those parts!

Bill in San Francisco

Uhhh...yeah well....good luck with that.
But please don't dam up more of our rivers to charge it and polute our landfills with your worn out batteries.

#-o
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

Ric wrote:
ShinySideUp wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen -

.........Most likely my next ride will be an electric one. Just gotta try something without all those parts!

Bill in San Francisco

Uhhh...yeah well....good luck with that.
But please don't dam up more of our rivers to charge it and polute our landfills with your worn out batteries.

#-o
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I guess I meant I'm hangin up the R1200R and therefore my bonafides for being a member here.

Currently I'm on a TMax 500 cc scooter and luvin the ever luvin snot out of it! Does everything in the city and the twisties better than the Beemer, but is obviously bested by the R12R in riding 2-up, long distance highway speeds, and sheer character. But I tell ya, it's really nice not having a sore clutch hand at the end of the day riding on my job all around SF with a stop sign/light at every block!

As for electrics, I'm on the waiting list for a Brammo Empulse (100 mph and 100 mile range) Ducati looks,and looking at BRD and the new Zero S coming out in February. Rode a 2011 Zero S yesterday and it was like being on a magic carpet. Sweet! Just needs more range and more power of the 2012 models and I'm totally in.

And lithium batteries, when properly disposed of, are the least polluting of all the current battery technologies. And using my solar cells to charge it won't dam any rivers. Or necessitate constant war.

I'll probably keep the TMax for longer haul duty, since I have no car.

Wishing all Merry Everything and Happy Always.
Rubber side down.
Bill

PS More on lithium batteries, just in case anybody cares:

"Primary lithium batteries contain metallic lithium that reacts violently when in contact with moisture and the batteries must be disposed of appropriately. If thrown in the landfill in a charged state, heavy equipment operating on top could crush the cases and the exposed lithium would cause a fire. Landfill fires are difficult to extinguish and can burn for years underground. Before recycling, apply a full discharge to consume the lithium content. Non-rechargeable lithium batteries are used in military combat, as well as watches, hearing aids and memory backup. Li-ion for cell phones and laptops do not contain metallic lithium.

In North America,Toxco and Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC) collect spent batteries and recycle them. While Toxco has its own recycling facilities, RBRC is in charge of collecting batteries and sending them to recycling organizations. Toxco in Trail, British Columbia, claims to be the only company in the world that recycles large lithium batteries. They receive spent batteries from oil drilling in Nigeria, Indonesia and other places. Toxco also recycles retired lithium batteries from the Minuteman missile silos and tons of Li-ion from the war in Iraq. Other divisions at Toxco recycle nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal-hydride, lead, mercury, alkaline and more.

Europe and Asia are also active in recycling spent batteries. Sony and Sumitomo Metal in Japan, among other recycling companies, have developed technology to retrieve cobalt and other precious metals from spent lithium‑ion batteries. Lithium can be re-used repeatedly, reducing the concern of potential shortages in the future."

Source: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

According to the U.S. government, lithium ion batteries aren't an environmental hazard. "Lithium Ion batteries are classified by the federal government as non-hazardous waste and are safe for disposal in the normal municipal waste stream," says Kate Krebs at the National Recycling Coalition. While other types of batteries include toxic metals such as cadmium, the metals in lithium ion batteries - cobalt, copper, nickel and iron - are considered safe for landfills or incinerators (Interestingly enough, lithium ion batteries contain an ionic form of lithium but no lithium metal).

Source: http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/3285
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
parkec
Triple Lifer

Post by parkec »

My local BMW clubs offers to pay for the MSF basic safety course for any of it's members whom are in a crash, as a way to help them ease back into riding.

I probably should add..we also a few folks who don't want to ride with anybody involved in a crash, till that have had a chance to "regroup" in a safety course.
IBA #50026