My Last Windshield

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

snag
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 639

My Last Windshield

Post by snag »

So I got the 12R out today; it snowed yesterday. Got it home and put on the new Gen II C-B 23" screen, I had high hopes! For me, and I repeat: for me, the onset of buffet was at 40km; on the highway it was unrideable at any speed. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam, the top of the screen was at about the level of my nose. Back to town, put on the Gen I 20" C-B; much better. Back in town, put on the BMW touring screen; better yet. The new C-B was my 4th screen and I am now done with fooling with screens; I'm just going to go riding instead. I'm with Don with respect to the turbulence coming off the side of the screen, it was quite pronounced.

Knowing that we're all different shapes and sizes, the C-B 23 will probably be the ticket for many, just not me. I know that Joe has spent a ton of time on the new screen. I can't think of another manufacturer that would put in that kind of time and dedication to get a product right for what is arguably a very, very small market. I feel bad, my hat's off to Joe.

To put the icing on the cake today, when I swapped out the new 23" for the 20" as I took the last screw out, I looked up to talk to the neighbour's gardener and the newly greased grommets enticed the screen to leap off of the mount, do a half gainer and land on my exposed aggregate driveway. Obviously, I should have taken the boys up on their offer of beer and wings at the local patio rather than fool with screens today. I've got a small nick in the top of the screen and very, very minor road rash, that will probably polish out, in the middle of the screen. It landed on the lip and almost rolled over right side up then gave up and rolled over the wrong way.

Soooo ..... I've got a smoked gray 23" C-B that is FREE for someone who wants to pay the shipping. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send along a couple of pictures. I'm busy as heck at work, so it might take a week or two to actually get it shipped, but it's early in the season.

On the brighter side of things, my new Shorai LFX-21 works like a hot darn.

Doug
Plea bargaining does have its advantages.
'08 12R
'79 CBX
'74 CB750
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Re: My Last Windshield

Post by xprof »

Totally weird, Doug! I don't doubt either you or Don E for a second, but my 25" CB 3rd gen screen works perfectly for me. In fact, it smooths out at speed, running well right up to 120mph (when the magnetic tank bag lifts off). I'm 6'1", the screen is tipped back by a 1/2" Don C block, I always run a tankbag, and it works just great with both open-face and full-coverage helmets. All I can tell anyone is just to try whatever screen and see if you like it or hate it. It's entirely personal! BTW, anyone on this board who happens to be near or passing through Santa Barbara is welcome to try mine, for free (though a pint of beer would certainly be appreciated!).
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Beer? I thought wine might do. :smt017
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

I'm easy, David. You know I'm easy!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
snag
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 639

Post by snag »

Mike,

Don't know what the root cause is, but different strokes for different folks. Maybe I should try growing a full beard! One off the members is going to take it off my hands, so we'll see how he does.

Doug
Plea bargaining does have its advantages.
'08 12R
'79 CBX
'74 CB750