Replacement heated grips

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

fallingpines
Basic User

Replacement heated grips

Post by fallingpines »

So I've worn out my throttle grip cover down to the throttle tube and am looking to replace the grips. I suspect that there are many options, however I am the kind of owner that likes to keep things mostly stock or stock like (whatever that means). Given that, my grips were the ribbed style, do other BMW heated grips fit without any changes? Are there preferences related to feel and comfort? Is there a style that wears out slower (not as soft a rubber I think)? Or perhaps less expensive options because these damn things are expensive.
'04 1150R
'87 FJ1200
'83 vt500 ascot
'82 Seca 650
'75 CB400F
'66 CB77
'61 R60/2
Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Replacement heated grips

Post by Airman »

I would think any replacement grip the right size will work just fine. When my grips started looking worn, I installed a pair of foam "grip puppies" which increase the diameter and don't effect the heat function at all. I think you'll have to cut the old grips off if they"re worn like you say. I think there's special grip cement, but the foam ones I just slid on with some soapy water.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Sir,

that is a no-brainer in my opinion. Go see your stealership and ask for 2 rubber grips (BMW order no. 32 72 1 458 396). These are easily available and cost the equivalent of EURO 8 per piece (should be around 11 or 12 bucks a piece). These are intended for the R1100R and fit perfectly. The inner dia is 26 mm.

- remove the barend weights
- get yourself a sharp cutterknife (yeah, the ones these damn bastard used to hijack the planes during 9/11)
- carefully cut the rubber open (careful because the wires of the heated grips are just under the rubber - protected only by some paper)
- the rubber grips are fixed by a little bit of glue only at either side of the rubber
- remove the rubber and all remainders
- take the new rubber grips and make them softer by putting them in hot water for some time
- steal some hairspray from the queen of hearts or some brake cleaner and apply some of that stuff on the grip and on the inside of the rubber
- now fiddle the rubber onto the grips (don't wait too long!)
- the brake cleaner or hairspray will evaporate and you're done

Photos? Check out this site from the land of oilheads http://www.powerboxer.de/armaturen-inst ... s-wechseln

Brgds
Oliver
Grey Thumper
Basic User

Post by Grey Thumper »

Interesting, so it's the same 26mm grip for the throttle and clutch side? That'll make things simpler. My previous bike (F650CS) had a slightly larger diameter for the throttle tube.
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Grey Thumper wrote:Interesting, so it's the same 26mm grip for the throttle and clutch side? That'll make things simpler. My previous bike (F650CS) had a slightly larger diameter for the throttle tube.
Yes, the old oilhead trick was to buy two sets of cheap grips, use the two bigger items, discard the two smaller. Still less expensive than buying the BMW rubber.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Grey Thumper wrote:Interesting, so it's the same 26mm grip for the throttle and clutch side? That'll make things simpler. My previous bike (F650CS) had a slightly larger diameter for the throttle tube.
Nope. Sorry I have not been precise. Throttle rubber inner dia = 26, rubber left side inner dia = 22. The order nbr is for the right hand side. The left hand side is order nbr 32 72 1 458 395 and is slightly less expensive.

Brgds
Oliver
dechaoz05
Lifer

Post by dechaoz05 »

is this what ur looking for?

http://www.beemershop.com/catalog/produ ... 59d4686450

When my rr heated grips were cracked. i ended up buying a set of these foam over grips and installed them over the stock grips

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Glassgunner ... 57&vxp=mtr
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

I would not buy these "foamover grips" as they will prevent you feeling the heating ...

I would buy the replacement grips and move on with the replacement. Your choice.

Brgds
Oliver
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

The grip puppies do let the heat though just as well. It just takes a little longer to feel it. If the stock grips are shot, I would just replace them. The grip pupplies will wear out faster than a rubber grip will.
Buckster '03R