GPS MOUNTS

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Neil
Lifer
Donating Member #: 918

GPS MOUNTS

Post by Neil »

I am looking for a central mount for my GPS unfortunately I purchased a NAVMAN MY85XLT that is 5 3/4 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches high and all the mounts I have found so far are for 3 to 5 inch units I would prefer water proof and lockable would be good, but I will compromise. Dose anyone know if a large mount holder is made for motorcycles and if so a link to same
objectuser
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1029

Re: GPS MOUNTS

Post by objectuser »

Have you tried ram-mount.com? If they have a cradle, then everything else is common. But they're not lockable, etc., as far as I know.
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
Bigg-Brother
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Bigg-Brother »

Take a look at this site: http://www.techmounts.com/
2008 328xi (manual)
2009 R1200R, black
2010 F800ST, champagne
2013 R1200RT, midnight blue
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

+1 on the Ram Mount. They carry Aqua Box gps holders that are waterproof and shockproof.
Check amazon, too.
Member #725
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

DMM wrote:+1 on the Ram Mount. They carry Aqua Box gps holders that are waterproof and shockproof.
Check amazon, too.
Beat me to it. All the Aqua Boxes are here, you can also get 'em at Amazon. You'll need the medium/wide one. I've used these in the past and found them to be a bit cumbersome, but it also depends on where you mount it. If I was going to use something like this I might look at an RKA tank IN-Charge tank bag, rather than mounting on the bars or whatever. Other tank bags from Givi and Bags-Connection also have GPS mounting capabilities.
Neil
Lifer

Post by Neil »

Thanks fellas the aqua box looks interesting I will have a good look at them I do want to bar mount it as I don't have a tank bag also the techmounts look good
ChipperJones
Basic User

Post by ChipperJones »

I have been looking for something like this as well. I have been using this "holster" portion of this iphone car mount jimmy rigged with adjustable zip ties. I did come across this Arkon mount and am interested
Neil
Lifer

Post by Neil »

Chipper I have ordered a similar mount it has not arrived yet but my thought were that even if it is crap it is a similar size to the Aqua Box and Ram mount so I can see if it fits the bike and is in a position I like be for spending to much
Anyname
Basic User

Post by Anyname »

I have a ram mount attached to one of their simple ball mounts:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx

I used this to replace one of the handle bar clamp bolts. I did make an aluminum sleeve for the shaft on the ball as the shaft is somewhat thinner than the hole in the handlebar clamp and I didn't want a sloppy fit. I think I also replaced Ram's allen head bolt with a Torx bolt sourced from my BMW dealer.