Screens compared

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Ferenc

Screens compared

Post by Ferenc »

Lots of lots of information already on the forum regarding screens. I think that this is one of the most controversial items around as it very much depends on the size of the rider and to the extent he/she is susceptible to wind noise, buffeting and wind pressure. I had my part of trials and ended up with way to many unused options in my garage, however lately finally found the solution suitable for me.

I started with the BMW sport screen and except moderate wind pressure protection found it reasonable. Than I added the DonC tilting block and while it helped, the change was not substantial. I then turned to the BMW touring screen and gave it try with and without the tilting block. Either way the wind noise and buffeting was to harsh. So I bit the bullet and bought the 18" 1st gen. Cee Bailey screen. That did not change the case so I finally sold it. Believing that all of the previous screens were way to short I went for the 2nd gen. 23" Cee Bailey. Without a tilting block from about 80km/h the buffeting was once again too harsh. Adding the block helped somewhat, I however could not get used to the combination of noise and the barn door size of the screen. In a last attempt I went off without any screen at all. From a wind noise and buffeting perspective it was the best solution, while from a wind and bug protection perspective the worst one. Here I was completely puzzled :-k

In the mean time I looked several times at the fairing options from Wuedo, Wunderlich, Hanigan and Parabellum. The Hanigan is not my style while the Wuedo was to expensive. Finally comparing the Parabellum and the Wunderlich I decided on the latter one mainly due to more pleasing aesthetics (for me) and a recent price drop. The wind protection of the Wunderlich is somewhere in the range of the BMW touring screen. It means the pressure is off my chest while I still get a fair amount of fresh air on my face. More importantly this is the option that provided the least buffeting and wind noise. Finally after 2 years of trials and money dumped on unused options I am a happy guy :D

As with the exception of the 18" Cee Bailey shield I still own the rest, I decided to make comparison shots that may be helpful to the forum members facing the same dilemma I had.

Should you be in Europe and interested in the BMW touring screen or the 23" Cee Bayley screen including the mounting frame please PM me.

No creen

BMW sport screen

Wunderlich Trophy fairing

BMW touring screen

Cee Bailey 2nd gen 23" screen

No creen

BMW sport screen

Wunderlich Trophy fairing

BMW touring screen

Cee Bailey 2nd gen 23" screen

For a better comparison you can also check this slideshow: http://lillin.hu/kepek/103_screen/index.html.
"the journey is the aim"
www.lillin.hu
objectuser
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1029

Re: Screens compared

Post by objectuser »

Very nice. I wish I had done the same with the screens on my bike.

Here is the original ZTechnik. It was cut down a bit. It seemed to work for the previous owner, who bit shorter than me. It didn't work for me.

I do have this one with the Cee Bailey's gen 1 screen, no tilt block:

I tried the Cee Bailey's gens 1 and 2, each with and without the tilt block. Neither one was what I was looking for.

Then I decided to sell my bike and took everything off. That's when I first discovered the bike the way I ride it today. I couldn't ride it all day long or anything, but for around town and short stretches of highway, it's great!
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
Fudge
Basic User

Post by Fudge »

Thanks for doing this, I know it takes time and effort but is very helpful. I also had the same experience as you, had the sport screen and it was nice up until about 60. I got the BMW touring screen and it offered great wind protection but the noise and rumbling from all of the 'dirty air' was terrible (yes I wear ear plugs). I now have the trophy and it seems to be ideal. I have yet to take a long ride since it's still Winter, but it appears to be perfect for me. For reference I'm 5'9".
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I enjoy reading comparisons as much as anyone else, but I also think that windscreen effectiveness is dependent on so many variables that generalization is almost worthless. For example, each of these factors will affect the outcome:

screen height
screen width
screen angle ('tho everyone reports that increasing angle with Don C. blocks reduces buffeting)

seat height
seat fore-and-aft positioning (where the rider's hips end up)

rider torso length (affects height of rider's head)
rider arm length and preferred elbow angle (affects fore-and-aft position of rider's head)
rider neck flexibility, musculature, and habit (affects pitch of rider's head)
rider preferences (head in clear air or protected? open-face helmet? look over or through the screen?)

handlebar height
handlebar width
grip fore-and-aft location
grip angle

tank bag (can affect airflow around and under screen)

You get the idea. I have lowered pegs and aftermarket bars, which tilt my body more upright than stock, and I like my head in clear air. What works for me is the old-style Cee Bailey's 16" screen, with a Don C. block. The screen is large enough to provide adequate protection in what passes for bad weather hereabouts (I was at my equipment's limit two falls ago on Marais Pass in Montana with an ambient temperature in the mid-30s), and small enough to provide useful air movement when it's in the 90s. It's no work to unmount, but I don't need to.

This subject is a perfect exemplar of Your Mileage May Vary.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Thanks for the comparison and the great pictures! I too have tried no screen, the BMW Sport Screen and the BMW Touring Screen. I find your description of the pros and cons to be spot on. The Sport Screen is the better of the three as the buffeting and noise is less while still offering some protection.

Guess I now need to save up and buy the Wunderlich Fairing as it appears to be the best of both worlds!
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
wust588
Basic User

Post by wust588 »

Thanks for posting what must be the most comprehensive evaluation of 1200R screens.
I've been hoping someone would compare the Touring screen and Trophy screen, as I have the former, and am thinking of fitting the latter.
I think I'll be saving for the Trophy!
John Williams- Staffs UK.

'81- Norton P41 Prototype Rotary
'93- Norton P52/55 Hybrid Rotary
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

wust588 wrote:Thanks for posting what must be the most comprehensive evaluation of 1200R screens.
I've been hoping someone would compare the Touring screen and Trophy screen, as I have the former, and am thinking of fitting the latter.
I think it's a worthwhile comparo - but for even more info if you go back in the archives of this forum, you'll find extensive discussion on many screens, with many measurements and trials reported on.. As David points out, don't expect instant success (I still have about 6 screens in my garage, and have tried at least 10 different ones..) It's not YMMV - it's Your Mileage WILL Vary. There are too many variables for one solution to work for everyone. The experience in the forum goes back about 6 years since the R12R was introduced in early 2007 - worth spending some time looking through it.

BTW - no idea where you're located (having that in your sig can be useful) - but if you're within riding distance to the NJ shore area - I've had a number of members come over for a day of testing different screens on their bike.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Ferenc

Post by Ferenc »

Thank you for the positive feedbacks. It is good to see that some of my experience overlaps with the one of other members. Cleary the fact that the Wunderlich fairing became my preference does not mean that this will be the optimal solution for all of us. As mentioned by others this will very much depend on personal preference, body size, bike geometry etc.

@deilenberger: I live in Budapest /Hungary /Europe. Unfortunately this is on the other side of the pond, so it will take me a while to be able to join you for a ride but I hope once I'll make it :-)
"the journey is the aim"
www.lillin.hu
wust588
Basic User

Post by wust588 »

deilenberger wrote:
wust588 wrote:Thanks for posting what must be the most comprehensive evaluation of 1200R screens.
I think it's a worthwhile comparo - but for even more info if you go back in the archives of this forum, you'll find extensive discussion on many screens, with many measurements and trials reported on.. As David points out, don't expect instant success (I still have about 6 screens in my garage, and have tried at least 10 different ones..) It's not YMMV - it's Your Mileage WILL Vary. There are too many variables for one solution to work for everyone. The experience in the forum goes back about 6 years since the R12R was introduced in early 2007 - worth spending some time looking through it.

BTW - no idea where you're located (having that in your sig can be useful) - but if you're within riding distance to the NJ shore area - I've had a number of members come over for a day of testing different screens on their bike.
Don,
Thanks for the invite, though unfortunately I'm on a different continent!
Have updated my signature to that effect.
Your'e right of course about the screens, and whatever I buy will be a matter of suck it and see.
I'm concentrating on the suspension upgrade at the moment, and am collecting some new manual Wilbers this week.
John.

David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Who has used the Parabellum scout ? Its what I may buy but if it has the same buffeting as the parabellum screen I have now then its not worth it.

I have done searches for parabellum scout and read a few really satisfied customers.

David
RGC1248
Lifer

Post by RGC1248 »

:lol: the more things change....
I was on my way home thinking about paying Don E. a visit.
Thanks for the renewed review. Great pics.
-Rafa, Virginia
'07 R12R
'14 FLHTK
wust588
Basic User

Post by wust588 »

Ferenc wrote:Thank you for the positive feedbacks. It is good to see that some of my experience overlaps with the one of other members. Cleary the fact that the Wunderlich fairing became my preference does not mean that this will be the optimal solution for all of us. As mentioned by others this will very much depend on personal preference, body size, bike geometry etc.

@deilenberger: I live in Budapest /Hungary /Europe. Unfortunately this is on the other side of the pond, so it will take me a while to be able to join you for a ride but I hope once I'll make it :-)
Ferenc,
I notice in your other post regarding your experiences with the Trophy fairing, that you have a couple of problems ie, touching the tank sides on full lock, and touching the fork legs also.
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Wunderlich should have checked this sort of thing before offering the fairing for general sale.
Is there some adjustment in the fittings to avoid this?

Mister Moo
Lifer

Post by Mister Moo »

Can never say what'll work for me based on someone elses experience - darn windshields.

5' 11" x 32" inseam, ride style unslouched in a Sargent saddle. My used 07 came with sport- and 20" screens. I like to ride fast and far and neither screen worked for me at all. I bought a new (2012) Cee Bailey 25" and couldn't be happier. The wind clips the top of my helmet (not silent but not awful noise) and then the vents - perfect. My eyeballs do not get scoured (with glasses on, of course). Clear line of sight breaks over the top edge of the plexi about 25' ahead - not a problem day or night. I am very pleased with this product.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tIOZ ... 07_303.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Rk6D ... 33_738.jpg
2007 R1200R since October 2012
Lizard Lick, North Carolina - come by
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

Best screen I've ever had is the one on the RTs I have rented. Being able to adjust it with the push of a button is awesome. Too hot, no problem, buffeting, no problem. If you could only get that think on the R1200R.

I sometimes wish I had bought an RT, but the R just looks to damn good.
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
theresearcher
Basic User

Post by theresearcher »

I too went through many screens before finding one I liked: my choice was the BMW touring and a better helmet (but that is a whole different story). While CalSci was nice enough to take back their screen, other suppliers would not. I ended up selling one on eBay but in the end it wasn't worth the effort as I did not end up recouping any of my money given the discount, sellers fees and shipping costs. I guess as an R1200R owner, one needs to budget a few hundred dollars (or Euros, etc) to spend on screens as a sunk cost....
roadfool
Basic User

Post by roadfool »

theresearcher wrote:I too went through many screens before finding one I liked: my choice was the BMW touring and a better helmet (but that is a whole different story). While CalSci was nice enough to take back their screen, other suppliers would not. I ended up selling one on eBay but in the end it wasn't worth the effort as I did not end up recouping any of my money given the discount, sellers fees and shipping costs. I guess as an R1200R owner, one needs to budget a few hundred dollars (or Euros, etc) to spend on screens as a sunk cost....
Most folks overlook their helment as a source of buffeting, when in fact it is a significant factor. My experience with Shoei has been excellent, a good fit for me, quite, and still.

Regards, Paul
Ferenc

Post by Ferenc »

wust588 wrote:
Ferenc wrote:Thank you for the positive feedbacks. It is good to see that some of my experience overlaps with the one of other members. Cleary the fact that the Wunderlich fairing became my preference does not mean that this will be the optimal solution for all of us. As mentioned by others this will very much depend on personal preference, body size, bike geometry etc.

Ferenc,
I notice in your other post regarding your experiences with the Trophy fairing, that you have a couple of problems ie, touching the tank sides on full lock, and touching the fork legs also.
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Wunderlich should have checked this sort of thing before offering the fairing for general sale.
Is there some adjustment in the fittings to avoid this?
I did not find any fittings that would help. The fairing will touch on the tank. Since the fairing is elastic the contact will not harm it, but is rather a nuisance. The other issue (touching the fork leg) occurred only once when I rode at high speed over rough terrain.

I have wrote to Wunderlich in order to find out if there is a fix. No reply yet.

Now I am pondering on mounting a steering stop from Touratech. That's how one farkle drives you to another ...
"the journey is the aim"
www.lillin.hu
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

I just finished installing my 20" Cee Baily screen on my new 2013. This screen was on my 2010 and worked perfectly. Read about my installation modifications here on the forum. On my new bike, the screen only has about 1/8" clearance above the headlight. The facelift models require you to remove the headlight in order to attach the front mounting point of the windshield bracket to the bike. There is a cover over this spot that means you have to fasten from underneath with the cover in place.

Due to it being about 20 degrees out this morning, I haven't been for a roadtest. But I anticipate wanting to tilt the screen back more. This could be done by attaching the bracket above its mounting point. But I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Has anyone else figured this out?

Diddling with the windscreens is just about the best part of owning a roaster.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

AncientMariner wrote:I just finished installing my 20" Cee Baily screen on my new 2013. This screen was on my 2010 and worked perfectly. Read about my installation modifications here on the forum. On my new bike, the screen only has about 1/8" clearance above the headlight. The facelift models require you to remove the headlight in order to attach the front mounting point of the windshield bracket to the bike. There is a cover over this spot that means you have to fasten from underneath with the cover in place.

Due to it being about 20 degrees out this morning, I haven't been for a roadtest. But I anticipate wanting to tilt the screen back more. This could be done by attaching the bracket above its mounting point. But I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Has anyone else figured this out?

Diddling with the windscreens is just about the best part of owning a roaster.

Bruce
Bruce -

Mounted a friends 2013.. and for his I made an extension out of some scrap metal I had around and some of the fittings (C-clips and screws) that came with the mounting kit. It moves the bottom edge of the mount out and up about 1" or so - which has the same sort of effect on the angle of the screen as moving it up. It was actually simpler then the earlier design. Required some aluminum plate (fairly thick, probably > 1/16"), a hacksaw and a drill press. And a few files to clean up the hacksawed edges.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

Don,

Thanks for the hint. I had some ideas in mind that were a bit more convoluted. Your solution sounds much better.

Was your extension plate (i.e. "XP") bent in any way or was it just a flat plate bolted out towards the front? Once the XP is in place, can the windshield bracket be attached/removed without removing the headlight? This would be a great benefit for warm weather.

Any chance you kept a picture of your handy work? Or could you get your friend to provide us a picture?
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS