Californian Coming to the Blue Ridge Mountains for the summe

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

MattnLA
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Californian Coming to the Blue Ridge Mountains for the summe

Post by MattnLA »

hi all,

Been on this site for about 8 years, haven't posted in some time. I live in Los Angeles and ride a 2002 R1150R. I am going to be working in Clayton, GA this summer. I am totally excited about getting the chance to ride what I've only heard about...blue ridge pkway, deals gap, etc. I won't have my beloved roadster out there with me, so my guess is I will be relegated to renting a Hardley Ableson.

My question is can anyone recommend a good outfit to rent from? Is it possible that anyone rents BMW? And....if any of you will be riding, I'd love to meet up so I can follow a local on the highways and byways.

Thanks.

Matt
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Re: Californian Coming to the Blue Ridge Mountains for the s

Post by captaincable »

Hi Matt,
Can you not bring your bike it would be a cool ride cross country? you will regret not having it , makes no difference which way you ride out of Clayton you will be in bike heaven. I live about 15 min south give me a pm when you get a chance.I don,t know of any bike rentals in the area but I will look around.
Mike
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Did you look at
http://www.eaglerider.com/
?
They have all sorts of makes and models. I agree with Mike about riding your own if possible. I would not want to try to sling a Harley though the twisties at Deal's Gap!!
Buckster '03R
MattnLA
Basic User

Post by MattnLA »

I totally struggled with the idea of riding out. The problem is time. I am on a really tight schedule. I figure it would take me a good 5 days to ride out and 5 to ride back. That's 2 weeks that I don't have. My wife is already being an AMAZINGLY supportive sport as it is with me going away to work for the summer. She'll be coming out for one visit over the 2 months. Then when the summer is done, I will be home for about 3 weeks, then I'll be going to Israel for 5 months. (The camel riding is AMAZING!!!) So you see, there really would be no way to justify taking 10 precious days to ride back and forth across country and still keep my marriage.

I looked at Eagle rider and they have nothing close by. I did see one place listed in Clayton but their website is down, so perhaps they're out of business.

As for my free time, I should have at least a few days here and there over the summer and truly hope to get out and ride. Mike, I would LOVE To hook up with you for some ride time.

Let's make it happen.

Mathew
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Matt give me the name of the place in Clayton , My brother owns a barber shop there he will know . I hear you that time is tight and you would like to stay married :D Maybe something will work out and we can ride if not we can grab a cup joe and shoot the bull. What type of work will you be doing ?
Mike
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Matt,
Try Riders Hill in Dahlonega, GA

http://www.europeanmotorsportsinc.com/p ... re-buy.php
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Have you looked into shipping your bike both ways? It may be cheaper than renting, and you don't have to schedule anything.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Riders Hill has a really good reputation in the Guzzi community and that is a very impressive line of rental bikes. Any one of them would keep a permanent smile on your face in the mountains of Georgia or North Carolina. Don't even think about a Harley (I'm not a Harley basher) you'll be in a constant sate of frustration on those mountain roads.
Naturally IMHO
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

for the price of a rental, you could ship your own bike. Something to consider. Yes 5 days, and a hard 5 days. Just did it.

Although you can't afford the time, your bike can. You could take whatever time you'd need to ship out and return and not jeopardize your marriage.

Aside, Deals is best taken in mid week, never on the weekend. You can stay in Robbinsville and do many of the roads in that area from there. There's a Microtel in town that at least used to be decent, and local eateries walking distance.
Wheeler's on 127 outside of Robbinsville is a very good non proprietary shop.
Not a fan of BRP, low speed limit, patrolled, and you could find yourself behind Ma and Pa Kettle in a RV called the View

Watch your speed on Cherohala, it is patrolled.
It will be VERY hot and humid, consider having fresh tires. And do deals both ways.
Have fun!

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
MattnLA
Basic User

Post by MattnLA »

thanks for all the great advice.

I am just outside of Clayton, GA. Have been here for a couple of weeks getting settled into camp and the routine. It seems that Wednesdays are my days off, which seem ideal for riding the beautiful roads without the weekender tourist traffic. There is no rental in Clayton and I don't have a car here. But one of my coworkers goes to Hendersonville on Tuesday afternoons and comes back late Wednesday night. I could get a ride with her to Robbinsonville and I can pick up at sportbikes4hire. seems like a good central location for some day riding. I'm planning on going out next Wednesday and being out bright and early to make the most of my time. If anyone is going to be free and around I would certainly welcome the company and the guide...if not, I'm ridin' anyway!!!

Matt
MattnLA
Basic User

Post by MattnLA »

actually, I got my geography screwed up. Robbinsville is out of the way. She get get me to Ashville or Waynesville. It seems there was a great place in Hendersonville, but he's closed down for 2013. Any recommendations for Ashville or Wanesville. All I see is HD rentals. I"m honestly not that much of a HD fan...though I will take pretty much anything on two wheels.

Also, any suggested rides starting from either of the two places would be most welcome.

M
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

pm, wncbmw. he knows Asheville.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!