Techron question?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Re: Techron question?

Post by MTBeemer »

A guy could make a fair living if he could get all his customers to pay him to change their synthetic oil and filter every 3000 miles. How much does your wrench charge for his proprietary semisynthetic blend?
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Well,I am using Shell Rotella T 15W40+10% of Lucas oil stabilazer.My truck running South California,Arizona,New Mexico etc.etc.and Canada.Heat as much you can imagine.There is aturbocharger as well.Extreme heat.If I am right, These big diessel engines taking a lot of stresses,a lot more than any kind of gasolin engines.13liter,500HP big diesel,with big internal parts,keeping,holding the heat stresses on them.I have 700,000MLS on truck.NO OIL CONSUMPTION AT ALL.Changing oil at15,000 to18,000MLS +10% of Lucas oil stabilaser.Why I should not trust to this oil,and Lucas??Please convince me!On my R12R changing oil at3,000MLS,oil filter at every second oil change,at6,000MLS.Am I doing something wrong?Every 3,000mls FRESH oil+10%LUCAS. This combination would do more than double of MLS.Rotella T 15w40 certified for gasolin engines as SM.Minimum that meansMINIMUM requarements are SF for Boxers.With this oil I am 100 stories above that requarements.One gallon of Rotella T cost+-13,00$ at walmart stores.Changing it every 3,000MLS,=26,00$for 6,000MLS.Remember,FRESH oil every3,000MLS.Is that wrong?Enviromentally not friendly?I am recycling the used oil.But anyway,I do not intend to argue with anyone.I am posting this in GOOD manner.I am not working to any oil company!!

By the way,take 10part of ANY oil mix it up with 1 part of Lucas(10%mixture),take one drop,rub it betveen your fingers.What do you realise??Slippery poo isent it?

Apsolutelly up to you, BRGDS,Steve H.-ing
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

I have looked into using Shell oil but have not found it in 20w50 which should be the correct weight for warm weather I believe, not sure if you can compare a water cooled engine that burns oil for fuel and can go many hundreds of thousands of miles before teardown and a gas burner.
I think the diesel engines are under a lot less stress than a gas engine in the same conditions particularly air/oil cooled.I say this only because of experience w/ small diesels which will produce a lot more torque at very low rpm ( tractors and pickups)My tractor (3 cylinder) takes a long time to warm up and the temp never varies after it does even under heavy loads have always been impressed with a diesel's ablility to pull hard seemingly effortless.I also am not trying to argue just my observation.
As you say it is cheap enough to change it often and fresh oil can't hurt, have noticed that the oil in my 850r is starting to look a lot darker after about 2k, probably change it soon with new filter.
BTW my uncle a shade tree mechanic swears by Lucas as well, but if you are changing oil every 3k do you need additives?
That's my two cents which is probably worth less than that.
Try and stay cool in the S.W.
Mike
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

I am using the Castrol TWS Don recommended me in this thread and I just have to say that it feel really good.

1) Engine feel more stable.
2) Less noise and even maybe less vibrations.
3) More torque... let's say %8 to %10 more.
4) Better acceleration
5) Feel real good overall!

It's all I have to say for now...
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...