Don C block help needed

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

GForman
Basic User

Don C block help needed

Post by GForman »

i have a Don C block that i want to use with a Cee Baily windshield. i understand how the block goes on (or at least i think i do) but the tall BMW touring bracket doesn't line up with the mounting holes once the block is installed. can someone explain to me how to "modify" the touring bracket so i can mount it.

here is a pic of the block i have.

xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Re: Don C block help needed

Post by xprof »

What year is your bike?
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
GForman
Basic User

Post by GForman »

What year is your bike?
sorry i forgot to include that info, it's a 2007
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

That's normal; the bracket has to be bent just a bit to fit with the block in place.
You'll find some discussion in page 3 of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19676
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

David is right: you got to bend it! You can use a vise, pliers, or (what I did), just screw it down hard and then pull back on the bracket. You will feel it give a little. Then try it out for size. Repeat as needed.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

Oh, one more thing: I found that a half-inch Don C block was better for me than the standard 1-inch model with the new Cee Bailey screen. If you love the 1-inch, then no probs. If it puts the top edge too close to your face, you could consider slicing the block in half with a band saw, or just asking Don C to make you a half-incher. BTW: the closer the top edge is to your face the better, if you can stand it...
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
GForman
Basic User

Post by GForman »

thanks for all the replies, i think after work today i'll try bending it to see if i can get it to fit.
GForman
Basic User

Post by GForman »

SUCCESS !!!!! i was able to get the Don C block installed and what a difference it made. prior to installing the Don C block my Cee Bailey's windscreen was virtuously useless. it was noisey and the buffeting was horrible. now there is no buffeting at all, even at speeds up to 90mph. last week i went on a quick overnight trip and was using a MadStad windshield, i wish i had put the Don C block on with the Cee Baileys for my little trip. i still have another month to wait for my Parrabellum Scout fairing to be made but while i wait this is the best combination of looks and performance out of all the windshields i have tried. thanks so much Don for making these blocks.
robinsong
Basic User

Post by robinsong »

I am new to this forum and have been trying to find out how to get a Don C Block. I have a 2007 R1200R that I have been trying to find a windscreen that doesn't cause buffeting. Sounds like the Don C Block might help. Can you help me get in touch with Don C?
Don C
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Don C »

Send a PM.
SDMAX2
Basic User

Post by SDMAX2 »

Have pal with newer R1200R, Don C no work; different mount, same issue, buffeting; anybody have
fix for newer bikes....I know there's a search but it came back with 10,000 windshield hits.
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

Here's the thread that has the best solution we've seen so far:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27657

I think that it's possible to make something simpler though, a piece of flat metal with four screw holes and bent into a U shape could probably do the trick.
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

I don't have a late model R1200 to look at here. I've been wondering if there is significant distance between the windshield and the back of the instrument cluster on these bikes. If there is room there, it might be a better idea to tilt the windshield by bending the upper rod of the bracket, in effect making it shorter. If it works, it will help the bike's appearance, as the screen wouldn't jut out so far above the headlight.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Don C wrote:I don't have a late model R1200 to look at here. I've been wondering if there is significant distance between the windshield and the back of the instrument cluster on these bikes. If there is room there, it might be a better idea to tilt the windshield by bending the upper rod of the bracket, in effect making it shorter. If it works, it will help the bike's appearance, as the screen wouldn't jut out so far above the headlight.
Don,

The new version of the bracket for the later R12R's has the same triangulated reinforcement to the two upright pieces the shield mounts on.. and they meet the uprights in the same spot, meaning bending the uprights back will be about impossible IMHO.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!