BMW system 6 helmet

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

MIKE46
Basic User

BMW system 6 helmet

Post by MIKE46 »

I am in need of a new helmet and am thinking about a BMW System six - does any one use one and if so what how do they rate them?
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Re: BMW system 6 helmet

Post by garr2 »

I'd be interested in your comments as well.

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
Anyname
Basic User

Post by Anyname »

We don't get the BMW system helmets in the State, but it looks a lot like the Schuberth C3. Those are sold here. I have had one for several years and find it both quiet and comfortable. They don't flow a lot of air so I find myself opening the face shield slightly when riding in stop and go traffic.
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

I'm on my second Schuberth S1 and I think they have a better fit than any other helmet on the market ........ Except for the BMW system 6 evo ( which I confess I've only tried on in the shop) ..... Which is made for BMW by ........ Yep, you guessed it, Schuberth :D

My next helmet will be a 6evo because I really like the accessory integrated bluetooth set it uses. They look a bit wide but when you're wearing it, you can't see that 8)
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Post by Caol »

I went from a Shuberth C1 to a System 6 and I like the fit of each. I'm up in the 64/65cm size (XXXL) and have a hard time finding helmets to fit the size and shape of my noggin. The Suberth and the System 6 both fit nicely. The wearing of glasses is also a consideration! :) Getting and replacing shields has not been a problem and I do like the internal sun shield.

It was hilarious, when I bought the helmet, I had to sign an affidavit vowing not to sell the helmet in the U.S. as it isn't DOT approved there. I do a lot of riding in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm waiting for someone to comment on the lack of DOT sticker. No takers yet....

Unfortunately, my System 6 is starting to get a little long in the tooth. I've four seasons on it now, so sometime, soon, I'm going to have to replace it, and the whole shopping thing starts all over again....

Kyle
Creston, BC
49.1N 116.5W

P.S. - I also have an HJC CL-Max system helmet, and while the fit is OK, the noise levels are MUCH higher than the Shubert or BMW...
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Kyle- Last summer I came down Rt93, then Rt95 thru Yahk on my way back to the states. That must be in your back yard. A beautiful part of the world (and great motorcycle country), your a lucky man to live there.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Caol
Double Lifer

Post by Caol »

mogu83 wrote:Kyle- Last summer I came down Rt93, then Rt95 thru Yahk on my way back to the states. That must be in your back yard. A beautiful part of the world (and great motorcycle country), your a lucky man to live there.
Yup! You missed Creston by about 12 minutes! We're just north of the next border crossing to the west of Kingsgate/Eastgate where you crossed on Hwy-95. And you missed Hwy-3A from Creston to Crawford Bay, which has got to be the most fun you can have on a motorcycle with your clothes on! ;)

Next Time!

Kyle
MIKE46
Basic User

Post by MIKE46 »

I have taken the plunge and invested in a new System 6 Helmet. So far I have done about 300 miles in it, mostly in wind and rain. My first impression is positive. It is certainly the quietest helmet I have ever had and has coped very well with side winds and heavy rain. When it has not been raining the drop down sun visor has proved most effective with the low level winter sun.
Caol
Double Lifer

Post by Caol »

One item to note with the System 6, is keeping the sun visor clean. If you don't use it for a while you don't notice that a layer of dust and crud builds up on it, so I've developed the habit of making sure it's clean during morning saddle-up routines.

Enjoy

Kyle
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

Kyle, that's a good call. The same thing happens with the Schuberth helmets too.
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Shakey wrote:Kyle, that's a good call. The same thing happens with the Schuberth helmets too.
The funny thing is - this wasn't a problem on the original Concept and the C2 Concept. A haze forming on the sunscreen is a problem on the C3. It's my understanding that they changed something in the anti-fog coating on the sunscreen that causes this, and if you send it in and complain - they'll swap it to a new one that isn't prone to this.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!