Can anything make the R1150r louder?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

Can anything make the R1150r louder?

Post by MThomas »

When I got the bike I figured I could straight pipe it from the cat back to get it to be louder.

Before even fitting a pipe I took off the muffler and it still sounded like a Prius.

If I delete the cat:
a) I fear there won't be sufficient backpressure
b) There's no guarantee it'll be louder
c) More noxious fumes for the environment

Is this just a naturally quiet engine or is there anything that can make it louder?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
orangeclocker
Donating Member #: 1136

Re: Can anything make the R1150r louder?

Post by orangeclocker »

I run zTechnik exhaust (I think it's discontinued for the r1150r) that came with a cat eliminating y-pipe. In my case: a)Runs awesome, b) sounds awesome, c) I dunno, I guess I need something to feel bad about when revving my sweet sounding 1150r.

-Luke
'03 R1150R
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

I use an Akrapovic Titanium exhaust with the cat still intact.
Yes, without a muffler but with the cat in place it purs like a kitten instead of the roar of a big cat.
After installing the Akrapovic Titanium it sounds really nice with a nice deeptone. After taking out the mandatory (in Europe) DB killer, it sounds awesome.
Loud and deep and the cat is still in place! I don't know how the do it, but it's an amplifier instead of a muffler.
With cat but without muffler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9waTcFgVeg
With and without cat, but with Remus Revolution exhaust with DB killer in place https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjpSUvs2o8
Without cat and with y-pipe and Laser GP race exhaust without DB killer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo8_djMgJw
Comparison Leo Vince and Akrapovic exhausts on R1200 GS without DB killer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avu3ReDX7jE
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

.....or you could gut your existing muffler. Although it is a real pain to do.
Buckster '03R
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

It seems that [due to design] ? the flat twin tends to be 'quiet' . Add cylinders and the not just the DB's go up...but the 'sound / tone' do as well....look at [ok listen to] the Valkyrie , then the six/cyl Porsche , flat twelve Ferrari etc........

As I recall though Air-Heads had more sound & depth of sound? I had a CS & an RS at the same time. The RS was stock, sounded fine ,....the CS had Kerker mufflers on it, and sounded terrific !!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Buckster wrote:.....or you could gut your existing muffler. Although it is a real pain to do.

iv'e seen the cat gutted too, that's where you lose a lot of flow... I don't have time for that. if you simply MUST. you'll need full exhaust...OR... a y pipe and a slipon. And youll need a fuel controller. But you wont really gain any noticeable power, unless you constantly ride heavy on the throttle.

Personally, I like the sewing machine quiet of these boxers. To me, excessive exhaust noise is just lost fuel. Iv'e tried mine with no can. Thought it might be cool, but...yawn.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

I'm in with a couple of the other responders; I started riding BMWs BECAUSE they are quiet. With an old sweet airhead, it's like people hear you just about the time you're going out of sight around the bend. Kind of an anti-Harley in more ways than one...
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Obviously the cat is so eliminating that that's the key and the muffler really makes no difference. That being said, the Cat eliminating pipes are >=$400 ... ouch!

Anything cheaper?

If it saves my life via being heard I'll pay the $400 but seems pricey
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I figure I can just remove the cat and put a short 45 degree pipe in its' place on each side where the exhaust goes to the cat.
I noticed, however that the cat pipe seems to be tied to the center stand.
Does the center stand depend on the current way it "fits" into the cat? If so perhaps that's the reason for the specialty/price Y-pipe to delete the cat...
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

do some searching.

there is a video somewhere of an oilhead cat being gutted. lol thats one way, but not easy. Im searching and cannot find it. heres a thread... you just cut a window in the cat, and yank out the guts. like carving a pumpkin. then weld the window back on.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17618&p=154255

didn't realize the Y pipe was so much.... thats too pricey for zero hp gain.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

Like EasyBee, I run the Akrapovic Titanium can with the cat intact. It provides a nice deep sound, adds about 5 hp (according to Akra) and shaves almost thirty pounds. It's a reasonable price for a quality product (BMW uses Akra mufflers as OEM equipment on some performance models), and I recommend it highly. No retuning needed, although I do use an AF-XIED 02 manipulator on mine.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

MThomas wrote:Obviously the cat is so eliminating that that's the key and the muffler really makes no difference. That being said, the Cat eliminating pipes are >=$400 ... ouch!

Anything cheaper?

If it saves my life via being heard I'll pay the $400 but seems pricey
Ouch! $400 or even more? Buy them in the Netherlands, polished stainless steel for 175 euro incl VAT, made in the UK not in China. :D
https://www.uitlaatstore.nl/bmw-r1150r/ ... anger-y-st
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
Torsen
Basic User

Post by Torsen »

I think this is the same y-pipe I bought from UK. Black Widow Exhaust (BWE). Cheap.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I ordered one through the shop for $380 (better than $420) and it's coming from the UK.
Wondering if I can still put the muffler in if it's too loud
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

The nicest, deep sounding, tolerable OilHead exhaust I ever heard was on a member's bike at one of our first BMW bashs of ours. It was an after-market Y pipe, with a threaded bung for the stock O2 sensor, using the stock muffler!! His wacking the throttle after engine start-up was all the evidence I needed. It was not LOUD, it was just loud enough beyond stock motorcycles to get a thumbs-up vote.
I say tolerable because loud pipes do not make friends with most people that hear them. Stereo systems in most cars ensure that loud pipes do NOT save lives -and- you and your passenger will not be annoyed with the very pleasant sound of the whole system with the nice looking stock muffler (no CATBox) exhaust system.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

I have no catalytic converter and a shorty 13" muffler. My bike is not quiet but it sounds great. I had a lady start pulling over on me the other day. I hammered on the throttle and the bark had her back in her own lane quick and lively.

When BMWs aren't strangled they sound great. Imagine getting a Moto Guzzi, a Ducati and an Harley...roll the exhaust notes together and divide by three and that is sorta what it sounds like.

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Soliton wrote:I have no catalytic converter and a shorty 13" muffler.
Where did you get a 13" muffler and in what direction does it direct the exhaust?

I sense an overall sentiment from the bike community that loud pipes should be eschewed and are illegal in some states.
Once I get more experienced I may put the cat & muffler back on but for now if I have to take a few frowns and/or a ticket to save my life I'll do it
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

Neptune can make them for you now as a standard item.

I took an existing muffler and rebuilt it.

The exhaust gas is directed about 30 degrees away from the orientation of the rear wheel. It is louder than a standard BMW exhaust but not HD "petrol to noise converter" loud.

Picture worth a thousand words

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26783&start=140#p251985

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
Torsen
Basic User

Post by Torsen »

AF-Xied also make the sound deeper.
monstrous
Basic User

Post by monstrous »

I have run every combination I could think of on my bike. The best set up I came up with was; x pipe, Leo Vince exhaust with baffle out, Dobeck tuner. Bike put down 72ft/lb torque and 81 horsepower with 70000 miles on the clock. Great low end torque, that set up actually felt better out on the road than my 4 valve GS, even though it lays down 98 hp and 81ft/lb, it doesn't sign on until3500rpm, the 1150r was putting down over 60ft/lb at 2500rpm. From my experience, do it all or be happy with it stock, everything in between provides no gain, or actually runs worse, bad cost benefit.
R1200GS
2011 FLHTK
06 FLSTC
98 DR350SE